Soda Water Additives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty66

Reaction score
Ok delving into the soda water on tap. Does anyone have recipe's for adding salts/minerals to the keg??
I'm using just the normal 19L keg in a kegerator and have got the carbonation sorted. Just seeing if there are secrets to getting a better more genuine soda water.
Cheers

Most "Soda Water" has Potassium Bicarbonate added, largely to adjust the pH.
The Bicarbonate raises the pH caused by CO2 in solution forming Carbonic Acid which gives the soda water an acidic twang. Somewhere around 200mg/L (0.2g/L) would be a good starting point and experiment from there.
Some people use Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for the same reasons but it tends to be quite salty if you use enough to get the effects you need.

One other thing that helps a lot is removing the Chlorine/Chloramines from your water; carbon filtering is probably the best option. If in doubt try making two kegs one de-chlorinated the other not and taste the difference!

Steve at Brewman (my local) makes mineral water for his family and has Potassium Bicarbonate and other water salts for sale.
This is a good resource if you want to make mineral water. This Mineral Water Calculator is excellent, it might take a while to work out how to use it, best to download and have a play.
Mark

I'm putting a teaspoon each of baking soda, potassium bicarbonate and magnesium sulfate in a keg of carbon filtered water, carbonate 10 psi and serve at room temperature

Latest posts

Back