Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for Turkey head to post his pics here they look awesome in the gallery.

Nice concept.

Kleiny

I've been wanting to post in here since I joined AHB... so envious for so long.... now I finally can.

Convinced the other half that kegging was a good idea, What with a baby crawling around and getting into empty bottles (strategically placed :ph34r: ) all over the place.
Happy birthday to me. Finally got it all painted yesterday, printed and laminated a few labels tonight, little bit of chalk work this evening and it's complete.

Painted the kegerator and the fermenting fridge with black board paint. Looks heaps better than berfore, with rust marks and dings to both. The fermenting fridge is a freezer so i chose the fridge as a kegerator cause it doesn't need a tempmate. Although i measured and i can fit 8 kegs in the fermenting fridge :super: maybe one day.

Got the entire setup from Craftbrewer's with help from Ross and Anthony sorting me out on the day.. thanks again. With the exception of the stainless ebay 525SS Perlicks sent from the states.
SDC14532.JPG
SDC14534.JPG
SDC14536.JPG

Perlick 525SS on a 4 inch shank. All JG threaded Fittings... so easy, highly recommended. No Manifold, just splitters to 4 kegs (only fits 3 kegs right now. Have to build a shelf to fit the 4th in due to compressor hump). 6.8kg CO2 bottle sits outside the fridge connected to a micromatic reg.

SDC14535.JPG

Whole setup is kinda temporary untill the new deck gets built and i convert our chest freezer. Currently everything is under the house... would love the 6 keg chesty next to the bbq :beer: sitting outside watching the rugby... or football world cup shortly
SDC14537.JPG
SDC14538.JPG

Well... it pours loverly beer. ESB suffers from a bot of chill haze.. .which keeps the regular punters away... but tastes de-licious. Only 2 kegs on the go now, still waiting for the 2 batches in primary to hurry up and finish. Not sure if i'll ever have 4 kegs full, well that's the plan anyways.

As a mate said to me, "You know you've made it when you've got beer on tap at home." I reckon not a truer word has been spoken. :icon_cheers:

BTW: @ argon... awesomeness!

Can I have it?

Cheers

haha :lol: over my cold dead hands!! Soooooo happy with the setup. Got me reconsidering the chest conversion.

4 kegs is gonna be stretch to keep full... But hey I'm up for the challenge.

Gees, Killer Rx4, not sure how anyone could keep 8 on the go would take a few brewers and a few drinkers to keep that thing fresh. Does look like a nice bit of kit though... mmmm perlicks

Uh... You could just have a few lagers doing their thing for a couple months and leave it at that. So now you've got 6 kegs to rotate. Then maybe you've got some Ales conditioning so now you have 4 kegs with beer you're drinking.

Makes sense to me :mellow:

Uh... You could just have a few lagers doing their thing for a couple months and leave it at that. So now you've got 6 kegs to rotate. Then maybe you've got some Ales conditioning so now you have 4 kegs with beer you're drinking.

Makes sense to me :mellow:
Yep youre not wrong Pete if I could get 8 kegs into my fridge, Id have 8 taps too just mildly envious. Top setup. Something nice and clean about the chesty. Just pull up a stool and make my way from one end to the other trying each tap as I go... On the way to the floor ;)

Thats the one thing lacking with my setup right now. Not too much space for lagering. Could probably fit a couple of cubes on the top shelf of the kegerator, for some nice malty pilsners. Last lager I did didnt turn out too good (apples anyone) so been a bit tentative about tying up the fermenting fridge for a couple of months. Once I fill all 4 kegs and have enough back stock Ill give it another go ready for summer.

Or like my setup there's a keg of cider, ginger beer and a tripel which don't get to see much action, but are available. So 3 keg slots are taken with them.

Lovely setup chaps. Now I'm in the new house with a dedicated bar room (complete with wood flooring) I need to get cracking on designing and then building a bar area.

Hey under.....whats the black thing on your gas bottle half way down? Is that secured to the wall so it doesnt accidentally get knocked over? Is it custom made? Love the bucket hiding the manifold too.
Cheers
Steve

Hey under.....whats the black thing on your gas bottle half way down? Is that secured to the wall so it doesnt accidentally get knocked over? Is it custom made? Love the bucket hiding the manifold too.
Cheers
Steve

I imagine the bucket is to stop little kids pulling on the ring.

@ KillerRX4 - I reckon after half a dozen pints it would be hard to remember what tap has what beer! Surely chalkboard paint must be on the cards

Looks like the chest lid is setup to write on with chalk or something. The spray on blackboard paint was super easy on my setup. So much better than a pair of rusty scratch and dent fridges.

Just bought a 6 way manifold from the states with inbuilt check valves for $93au delivered. Still keeping an eye out for a wide wall mounted ss drip tray at a reasonable price.

Hey Steve, its actually apart of the top sheet (form ply) extended past the end of the whole fridge trolly/rack setup. Its been jig sawed out, and then a piece of rubber tubing insulation (cut down the middle) and run around the cutout and glued. This holds the bottle firmly in place so it cannot fall over, or be pulled out by kids etc. To get the bottle out you just give it a squirt of water and it slides out. Its bloody great.

The bucket is to run the first bit of beer into it so it dosent go over the ground. Because of the difference in temp of the tap on the outside, and the beer coming through it, it foams ever so slightly for about 2 sec the first pour. I just crack the first bit into the bucket and let the dog have a slurp. Im still trying to get my drip tray organised, this will hopefully solve the problem. I also use the bucket to protect the reg etc as there is a slight leak (in the undercover area) in the vicinity of the bottle and reg. Killing two birds with 1 bucket :D.

I also made up the step rack inside the fridge aswell (under the kegs - The black formplay) so I can fit 5-6 kegs inside.

Overall, im pretty chuffed with the whole lot, even more since in recently setup my temp controlled brew fridge (far left). Making the beer trolly/rack enables me to keep the fridges off the ground so I can easily pull them all out as one unit to clean behind, and I can easily hose right under the whole lot. I have a Siberian Husky and she sheds her fur like no tomorrow.
IMG_0021.jpg

@ KillerRX4 - I reckon after half a dozen pints it would be hard to remember what tap has what beer! Surely chalkboard paint must be on the cards

Yeah painting the lid is a bit too much effort. I found a liquid chalk pen in my toolbox from my drag racing days that does the trick for scribbling vital keg details above each tap. wipes off with a damp cloth...

Awesome setup! Where did you get your massive drip tray from? Or is it homemade?

Thats actually 2 drip trays, pretty cheap too compared to the tiny 1 tap tray I had on my last fridge. $15US + freight. I think worked out to $40 each delivered from USA. I bought them at separate times though so maybe combined would work out cheaper still... (4 taps was ok for a few weeks until I had 8 kegs in it & got sick of openining the lid :lol: )
www.barproducts.com/ Search bar > Drip tray

Yeah a few kegs very regular rotation, a few others on slow rotation & a couple that are there for a long haul. (flanders red will be in for years at the rate I can stomach it)

Suchidog, there is two drip trays end to end.

Thought I would update my set up and added two more taps to my humble little rig, I can only fit 3 kegs in and retain the door compartments.

DSC00050.JPG

this is my baby until i build the new bar and run glycol through the fonts but it does the job in the meantime, holds 8 kegs, gas is inside, top is split and sealed so the back can just be opened for quick changes, like the idea of running cold water through the font for the time being, might have to hook something up.

kegerator_001.JPG

Love the split lid idea, chicky...great stuff mate! .. :beer:

Back