Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh man, routed the lid so they overlap when closed and used some stick on rubber for sealing, isnt exactly airtight but holds its temp well either way cos cold air drops, compressor hardly ever kicks in on it, couldnt be happier, unless i had a glycooled font...........lol. one thing though, i thought 8 kegs would be keeps, but when my greedy mates come around they seem to be able to empty it,

kegerator_002.JPG

yeh man, routed the lid so they overlap when closed and used some stick on rubber for sealing, isnt exactly airtight but holds its temp well either way cos cold air drops, compressor hardly ever kicks in on it, couldnt be happier, unless i had a glycooled font...........lol. one thing though, i thought 8 kegs would be keeps, but when my greedy mates come around they seem to be able to empty it,

Hi Chicky, I'm looking at converting a chest freezer for kegging and was wondering what size chest freezer you used?

Hey Steve, its actually apart of the top sheet (form ply) extended past the end of the whole fridge trolly/rack setup. Its been jig sawed out, and then a piece of rubber tubing insulation (cut down the middle) and run around the cutout and glued. This holds the bottle firmly in place so it cannot fall over, or be pulled out by kids etc. To get the bottle out you just give it a squirt of water and it slides out. Its bloody great.

The bucket is to run the first bit of beer into it so it dosent go over the ground. Because of the difference in temp of the tap on the outside, and the beer coming through it, it foams ever so slightly for about 2 sec the first pour. I just crack the first bit into the bucket and let the dog have a slurp. Im still trying to get my drip tray organised, this will hopefully solve the problem. I also use the bucket to protect the reg etc as there is a slight leak (in the undercover area) in the vicinity of the bottle and reg. Killing two birds with 1 bucket :D.

I also made up the step rack inside the fridge aswell (under the kegs - The black formplay) so I can fit 5-6 kegs inside.

Overall, im pretty chuffed with the whole lot, even more since in recently setup my temp controlled brew fridge (far left). Making the beer trolly/rack enables me to keep the fridges off the ground so I can easily pull them all out as one unit to clean behind, and I can easily hose right under the whole lot. I have a Siberian Husky and she sheds her fur like no tomorrow.
IMG_0021.jpg

Cool. Good idea about them being on trolleys for easy cleaning. I didnt even notice they were there.
Cheers
Steve

Cool. Good idea about them being on trolleys for easy cleaning. I didnt even notice they were there.
Cheers
Steve
500 litres or their abouts from memory. harvey normans did a sweet deal for cash. got the inside/outside temp gauge from dick smiths, tap, fonts nozzles etc from andale, and got a cabinet maker to make the top, he did a great job because he stained it and then sealed it with like a 2 pac clear or something so the wood wouldnt warp with moisture, was happy with the end job, although it was pricey.

kegerator_003.JPG

500 litres or their abouts from memory. harvey normans did a sweet deal for cash. got the inside/outside temp gauge from dick smiths, tap, fonts nozzles etc from andale, and got a cabinet maker to make the top, he did a great job because he stained it and then sealed it with like a 2 pac clear or something so the wood wouldnt warp with moisture, was happy with the end job, although it was pricey.
Chicky that may have been pricey but it sure looks the ducks nuts.

Thought I'd better post some pics of my setup now that it's complete!

The Bar!
Wide_Shot_Bar.jpg

The current menu
View attachment 37191

The view from the pouring position
view_bar.jpg

A closeup view of the bar
View attachment 37193

Where the beer comes from! Freezer on the right is for flooding the font, although I recently killed it. Still works a treat with a couple of bags of ice for a big evening of drinking ;)
long_shot_downstairs.jpg

My current CO2 setup
View attachment 37194

Inside the keg freezer
long_shot_all_kegs_and_plumbing_from_freezer.jpg

Opposite angle of the inside - F&P H275x 275L, room for 6 kegs on the floor, one on the hump
View attachment 37195

Shot of the plumbing going upstairs. The black elbows are John Guest Flow-Bend elbows - stop the beer line kinking. Note the flood line for the font going in as well.
plumbing_to_python_inside_freezer.jpg

Brew day planned sometime soon to formally christen it :)

Cheers!

Looks great NickB, very professional, love the blackboard menu to.

Andrew

Good work NickB,

Mate are you sure that is a 215L slim F&P? I have the 275L slim which is the same measurement from front to back but is wider, and I can only get 5 in, really close to being able to get 6 on the floor but just miss out.

I'm thinking maybe you actually have the 275 and have found a way to squeeze 6 in???

Also how do you have that much line and not have problems with balancing and beer getting warm in the line etc?

Duh, yep, have the H275x (have edited!). Took some kegs in when I bought it (was working at Retravision at the time) and worked out that would be sufficient. I believe Screwtop has the same freezer as well, and he confirmed that six would fit. Maybe you have the slightly fatter kegs? Only thing I can think of!

As for the lines, the pics may be a bit deceptive, but there's only 5m beer line between the kegs and the bottom of the font. With the font flooded I get perfect pours, without, I get anywhere form half to a full glass of foam before the beer flows freely. Have compensated somewhat by turning the keg freezer down to 2C. Not ideal, but for the odd beer it's OK. For a big session I fill up the smaller freezer with cold water and ice and let the font chill down. Oh, I run the reg at about 12 - 13psi.

Cheers

Thanks Nick. I don't actually have 6 kegs, I have 5 kegs and a 9L cornie as well. I think I used three kegs to work out whether six would fit by putting three down, then moving the left one over to be the right most one, etc. Probably not an exact way to do it. Happy to hear it may be possible to get 6 in! Plus then I can get the small one on the hump and have 6.5 kegs and hopefully a small co2 bottle as well.

This thread has been pretty dry lately and then two awesome freezer conversions are added in a row, and I was all excited to reveal my project which I'm finishing tonight as well :rolleyes:

It won't be as impressive but I think it's still good for a self contained unit! Watch this space...

You're not invited Bonj........

:p

Thanks DrS! Even I'm happy with it, and that's a rare thing ;)

Cheers

Back