Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the pros and cons on buying a 2.6 vs 6kg gas bottle. How many kegs does a 2.6 bottle do?

Can't comment exactly on number of kegs because I don't monitor my 2.6 too closely. I run 3-4 kegs at a time, force carb and use gas to push beer from half full kegs into 9.5's. End up filling mine every 6 months.

Can comment that when you have a leak (and you will one day) it's cheaper to refill a 2.6. Not a reason to not get 6kg, but if you are trying to save money a 2.6 might be most economical when factoring in lost gas.

Another thought I'd to get two 2.6kg bottles if running out a prime moment is an issue. I have a SS portable setup I can use in a pinch.

GNU said:
What's the pros and cons on buying a 2.6 vs 6kg gas bottle. How many kegs does a 2.6 bottle do?
2.6 vs 6 kg. Due to my location and lack of refill points my 2 cents worth is,if you can get 2x 2.6 bottles one of which is the backup so when the first runs out it goes in for refill and the second keeps you going.
I can't remember how many pours etc a 2.6 will give you but have a look at Cheeky Peak ,Keg King etc as I'm sure they have the info you need as to what you get out of a bottle of gas.

I use a 2.6kg to dispense only ( about 68 kegs ) and 6kg converted fire extinguisher to purge and force carb kegs (about 60 kegs ). Obviously either can be used as a back up for the other if required. Set up works well, no leakage problems with the 6kg as only turned on to perform task. These extinguishers bottles can usually be purchased fairly cheaply.
Cheers

Had a look on the Cheeky Peak site.
2.6 kg bottle, $150.00+ freight .
Will carbonate about 180 litres.
Will dispense 280-380 litres.

I use a 6.8kg gas cylinder for all my carbonating, dispensing and cleaning needs. It was $350 I think to buy it, and $50 per refill/swap. The current one I have I got in late December last year, and looking at the high pressure gauge, it will need to be replaced in the next month or so, which would bring it up to about 11 months use. I did have a keg of lemon lime and bitters that I struggled to carbonate properly which would have used a lot more gas than a normal beer keg, otherwise it likely would have lasted the 12 months.

My usage and records don't support Cheeky Peak usages. QldKev has a co2 usage calculator where you put in gms of co2, litres to be carbed and it calculates how many for carb only, carb and dispense and dispense only. Sorry but can't advise link.

Any usage records Rocker1986?

Cheers

I don't have any records myself no. I was told when I originally bought the thing though that it should carb and dispense about 30 kegs. I'm not sure if that many have been through it yet.. but of course the cleaning side of things would use it up too. In any case if I'm only having to swap it over about once every 12 months I'm not complaining.

I just went and swapped my 6kg CO2 cylinder and so I had a look back to see when I got it and how many brews I've done in that time. I picked it up on the 5th May, so just shy of 5 months. In that time, I've brewed 10 times (500L, or 30 19L kegs). I use my CO2 to force carb, purge, do closed transfers from fermenter to keg, and dispense. I also keep a keg of highly carbonated water on tap (~30psi) and we go through those pretty fast (~2/month, so close to 20 [edit: 10, not 20] of those as well). I use it pretty liberally and am impressed at how long they last around here. If you're a bit more conservative, and don't have to keep kiddos supplied with fizzy water, I reckon yours will last a lot longer.

spog said:
Had a look on the Cheeky Peak site.
2.6 kg bottle, $150.00+ freight .
Will carbonate about 180 litres.
Will dispense 280-380 litres.

If you look at their 6kg bottle they are stating 1000 - 1200l for dispensing. Now if you mathematical convert this to 2.6
Kg bottle it would dispense over 500l therefore on their figures cheaper to buy the 6kg and fill your 2.6 from it.ha ha

40L Aussie Lager flowing and 50L saison to follow :)

20160928_161605.jpg

20160929_110509.jpg

peteru said:
5 kegs -> one tap? You need more taps! :chug:
It's getting out of control. actually have 8 x 19L and one 9.5, lol.
I need more space more so, I have a chest freezer that I intend on turning into a keezer soon, that fridge is primarily used for fermenting. I'll use a bottle gun to bottle the remaining larger in the next few days when I brew a SN porter and leave the Saison to age for a while.

20160926_140119.jpg

All I can say is triple check for leaks. I have a 22kg cylinder that leaked, thought i'd found the leak an fixed it, but no another full cylinder gone. :angry: :(

Yeah, I lube up all keg seals and regularly check with a spray bottle of soapy water. Cheers for the tip.

First full beer poured out of the Keezer. Still working out the right carbonation level, but tasting pretty damn good. Has been a few months work to get it up and running, still more finishing off to do, but at least its operational now. Now to get the next 3 kegs filled before this first one runs out, need to restrain myself and drink some of my bottled beer in the meantime.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back