Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyburgs said:
Now to get the next 3 kegs filled before this first one runs out, need to restrain myself and drink some of my bottled beer in the meantime.
Good luck with that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It took me quite a while to build up a stockpile of kegs... actually haven't been able to get a regular stockpile happening until about a month ago, which was a year after I poured from my first keg.

malt junkie said:
White board marker FTW! My kids are always using my brew fridges and keezer for their latest art creations
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475141685.512102.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475141734.683678.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475141797.331165.jpg
Tell me about it[emoji13]

Rocker1986 said:
Good luck with that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It took me quite a while to build up a stockpile of kegs... actually haven't been able to get a regular stockpile happening until about a month ago, which was a year after I poured from my first keg.
I do have about 5 cartons of bottled beer to try and get me through. And I bought a second fermenter and second cube the other day, but can only fit 1 in my brew fridge. Thinking about just chucking down a kit beer in the spare fermenter while the weather is moderate just to fill a keg, it can be the visitors beer.

I had quite a bit of bottled beer too, the problem was the kegged beer tasted better (something went wrong with the bottled batch though) and it was also the novelty factor as well as "testing" it to see if it was still pouring fine. Plus the woman I was seeing at the time was something of an alcoholic which didn't help. I just put three full kegs in the kegerator a couple of weeks ago which should last until I get the next three filled, and this schedule should continue unless I have a huge party or something. :lol:

Started prepping my setup tonight. Sanded the lid back to bare metal and going to just pull the walls back to primer, ready for a coat of black paint. Then comes the 300mm tall filed collar

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475154330.881370.jpg

Wolfman1 said:
I like that wooden top. That's got me thinking
My wooden top and collar is silky oak from a tree grandad cut down about 20 years ago and dad got milled up and still has heaps lying around. Really happy with how it's come up. Still want to put something around the freezer, either old fence pailings or some mini orb maybe.

Hostage_85 said:
4mm ID isn't too hard, just heat it up with some boiled water, and put some pliers in side it to widen it a bit. It goes on pretty easy after that.
I found the Kegking 4mm ID line I bought online literally impossible to get onto my barbs despite boiling water, sweat, tears, and lots of blood from all the skin I took off my fingers

So I bypassed the ******* with 6mm ID line in 5cm lengths onto the barbs which connect to a John Guest Joiner which then lets me run the 4mm ID line for the significant distances- does this make me a bad person ? :)

Inconceivable said:
I found the Kegking 4mm ID line I bought online literally impossible to get onto my barbs despite boiling water, sweat, tears, and lots of blood from all the skin I took off my fingers

So I bypassed the ******* with 6mm ID line in 5cm lengths onto the barbs which connect to a John Guest Joiner which then lets me run the 4mm ID line for the significant distances- does this make me a bad person ? :)
I'm in a similar boat to you. There was a lot of cursing! I just periodically check the joins for leaks, none so far!

fdsaasdf said:
I'm in a similar boat to you. There was a lot of cursing! I just periodically check the joins for leaks, none so far!
I used needle nosed pliers to stretch it after it had been in hot water. Stick it it closed and open to stretch the tube a bit more.

I will be going through the 4mm nightmare this week. I have a regulator, 4 way manifold, 3 liquid disconnects and 3 gas disconnects to squeeze on. Wish me luck.

Inconceivable said:

You evil evil ******* how dare you

That works for the 5mm ID line, but even then it's tight. I imagine the 4mm ID line will be challenging, even using that technique.

EDIT: Referring to hot water softening and stretching with needle nose pliers.

peteru said:
That works for the 5mm ID line, but even then it's tight. I imagine the 4mm ID line will be challenging, even using that technique.

EDIT: Referring to hot water softening and stretching with needle nose pliers.
Might have been 5mm now you mention it. Worth a try though.

Good luck!

If I can get 5mm ID line to stretch over the 8mm stainless tubing in my font then anyone should be able to get 4mm ID line to stretch over the barbs on a regulator and a gas manifold... :lol:

I also used the needle nosed pliers trick, it works really well. When I replace the beer lines I think I'll go 6mm ID next time though.

I used 4mm id and pliers as well but initially cut the end of tube at an angle to help ease on, once on the barb cut square with a knife, poured hot water on and slide the tube to the stop on the barb.

Got another keg today (arrived, actually, not just purchased). 20 litre Orion beer commercial keg (S-type connector). Bought it as a 30 litre size. Total cost landed was under $58 from Gumtree.
Should I be disappointed by the size?
Do I have enough kegs yet?

Simmo1972 said:
I used needle nosed pliers to stretch it after it had been in hot water. Stick it it closed and open to stretch the tube a bit more.
I tried that but split the cheap keg king shit resorted to the joins as I already had a bag of 10.

fdsaasdf said:
I tried that but split the cheap keg king shit resorted to the joins as I already had a bag of 10.
I posted this in my Keezer build thread, but I put my 4mm ID line on all of my disconnects with 6mm barbs tonight and had no issues at all. I have no idea how you would ha e split the lines - I gave mine a good yank with the pliers and stretched easily enough to get over the barbs. Took me 10min total to cut the lines to length and fit them all up.

Back