Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jurt said:
My father in law is looking at putting a commercial font through the top of his keezer, we were both wondering how to fix it to the lid, because the weight is over 5kg, and it's flimsy steel sheet, I suggested a plank underneath the lid but that would look super ghetto haha
You could screw a plank of wood to the top to make it a table?

I did this with mine and screwed 3 support pieces to the underside of the wood top which I in turn screwed into the sides of the keezer lid just to give it even more support.

5kg will be pretty heavy to lift the lid though.

support-pieces.jpg

bartop.jpg

The bigger support pieces to the left and right of the arrows are used for joining the top as it is two pieces of wood. It also keeps the top from warping.

The budget doesnt stretch to accomodate the extra energy a second fridge would use currently, so this is what I'm running at the moment:

IMAG03771_zpscdf620bc.jpg

Jurt said:
My father in law is looking at putting a commercial font through the top of his keezer, we were both wondering how to fix it to the lid, because the weight is over 5kg, and it's flimsy steel sheet, I suggested a plank underneath the lid but that would look super ghetto haha
I put a piece of 4mm ply on top of the (chest) freezer, then on top of that I made a benchtop out of polished hardwood.

Except since constructing, the hardwood planks have shrunk (each about 6-10mm) opening up gaps, and ruining the finish.

But the plywood underneath part is sound.

I did try to get a timber slab before going for the hardwood planking, but even given exact dimensions, internet timber-slab merchants (the 5 I tried) either
- (3x) did not respond.
- (1x) said "yeah we've got something", but it was too small
- (1x) said "oh, we've got a slab you could cut in half, stick back together to suit". (that's not a slab then isit!?)

*sigh*

Anyway, I digress. Put a piece of ply under it.
Yes it's fricken heavy. (but it keeps the kids out).

I got told no on the Homer Sticker. She doesn't want it in her lounge room. I have a 4 tap kegerator in there, i'm not gunna push the issue on the sticker :D

Here is a shot of my new baby. It started off as an old fridge that I "acquired", a few holes in the door, a few coats of blackboard paint and here we are. And yes, it has kegs 1. 3. & 4. listed. That is because there is currently nothing on tap 2.

gallery_25675_1102_154510.png

And here is a shot of my fermentation fridges in the shed.

gallery_25675_1102_128925.png

The latest addition to the shed. The ugly but functional prototype keg fridge shat itself a while ago.
This version was put through its paces by 50 thirsty punters at a party at ours over the weekend.
Happy to say it stood up to the task and I'm looking forward to refilling the 4 empty kegs over the next few weeks

Keg fridge 1113.gif

I picked up a 588lt chest freezer (cheap) over the weekend, it's bloody enormous, 1.8m long and will fit 12 kegs with breathing space. Today I put some casters on, 2 at each end. I can't see me having more than 8 kegs in it at a time, but that equates to 170kg+ of load. So my question is should I put some castors in the middle or at least build some sort of sub frame?

For peace of mind a rolling base would add a lot of rigidity. Instead of castors in the middle you could add a couple of adjustable feet to stop it moving and support it at the same time.

Just my 2c.

MastersBrewery said:
I picked up a 588lt chest freezer (cheap) over the weekend, it's bloody enormous, 1.8m long and will fit 12 kegs with breathing space. Today I put some casters on, 2 at each end. I can't see me having more than 8 kegs in it at a time, but that equates to 170kg+ of load. So my question is should I put some castors in the middle or at least build some sort of sub frame?
I built a wooden base for mine, and positioned the castors about 1/4 from each end.
Make sure your castors are rated for the load, wouldn't want to see a 12-keg crash.

It also keeps it off the ground (mine lives outside).

Almost finished the cosmetic side of things. Just need a sheet of mini corrugated iron cut to size for the bottom section...Happy with it so far.

20131106_123256.jpg

Dont know why my photos are sideways...Anyways, finished my keggerator this arvo. Looks the goods. Just the serving side of things to do....

20131107_173251.jpg

Can get 4 in there. Still room up top for stubbies also.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

Nice finish with the timber frame and tin there Asha. What wood did you use?

Latest posts

Back