Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done a bit more to her today.
Added a wall mounted crownie bottle opener with cap catcher. And also a whiteboard so I can write down whats on tap, ABV% & date of kegging etc. Even got a Batz brewery sticker from the "CPBF glass bottle washer giveaway" (Thanks Batz)...
310479_2699185641217_1303924182_33292481_1460591679_n.jpg

And I happened to pick up a 350L fridge only for fermentation that is better then the other one I won & half the price too :)

I am in the process of researching my fridge. I absolutely have to drill through the side wall. Laying it down andc running it isn't an option for the cornstarch hot line finding technique. Would making a paste and putting it in an airless power sprayer (like a wagner) work?

Am I right that this process is:

1. let the fridge warm to ambient temp

2. apply corn starch alcohol paste/solution

3. turn fridge to its coldest setting

4. watch for chalky lines drying faster where the hot lines are at

5. mark the lines

6. drill a small super shallow hole between the markings.

7. fish a wire around. If I encounter nothing...proceed and drill through

And if i get away with all that repeat steps 6-7 for additional taps

thank you mates for all your help
cheers
bob
( i feel odd saying "mates & cheers" as an american. i just want to be cordial not trying to bs my way into your confidence)

Finally got some pics of my keg set up.
Of the 2 small fridges on the LHS top is a front load freezer used as fermenter fridge and bottom is the "cheese cave".
My dad just got a new fridge today so will use his old one as a fermenter fridge now.

IMG_0942.jpg

Got sick of the shitfight with the snakes den of liquid lines so used some clips and cable ties to attach them to the door, much easier now

IMG_0946.jpg

Can see that better in previous post

Done a bit more to her today.
Added a wall mounted crownie bottle opener with cap catcher. And also a whiteboard so I can write down whats on tap, ABV% & date of kegging etc. Even got a Batz brewery sticker from the "CPBF glass bottle washer giveaway" (Thanks Batz)...
310479_2699185641217_1303924182_33292481_1460591679_n.jpg

And I happened to pick up a 350L fridge only for fermentation that is better then the other one I won & half the price too :)

An inspirational setup.
Pretty much exactly the kind of thing that I aspire to having...

Al

I am in the process of researching my fridge. I absolutely have to drill through the side wall. Laying it down andc running it isn't an option for the cornstarch hot line finding technique. Would making a paste and putting it in an airless power sprayer (like a wagner) work?

Am I right that this process is:

1. let the fridge warm to ambient temp

2. apply corn starch alcohol paste/solution

3. turn fridge to its coldest setting

4. watch for chalky lines drying faster where the hot lines are at

5. mark the lines

6. drill a small super shallow hole between the markings.

7. fish a wire around. If I encounter nothing...proceed and drill through

And if i get away with all that repeat steps 6-7 for additional taps

thank you mates for all your help
cheers
bob
( i feel odd saying "mates & cheers" as an american. i just want to be cordial not trying to bs my way into your confidence)
Here is what I did:
Used a stanley knife (I think you guys call them box cutters) to carefully cut away a section of the plastic liner from the inside of the fridge. Using a screwdriver or anything else that couldn't puncture a gas line, I still working carefully, chipped away at the foam insulation until I hit the outer metal wall. I made sure to chip away enough so I knew I wasn't near a gas line, and I drilled a pilot hole from the inside out. Then I just made it large enough for the gas line to fit through with a rubber grommet.

Here is what I did:
Used a stanley knife (I think you guys call them box cutters) to carefully cut away a section of the plastic liner from the inside of the fridge. Using a screwdriver or anything else that couldn't puncture a gas line, I still working carefully, chipped away at the foam insulation until I hit the outer metal wall. I made sure to chip away enough so I knew I wasn't near a gas line, and I drilled a pilot hole from the inside out. Then I just made it large enough for the gas line to fit through with a rubber grommet.
That sounds pretty good. It is a mid 70's vintage 300L. the entire back is covered with condenser coils
post-21957-1321417542_thumb.jpg

it has a small freezer section inside at the top. I did start my own thread...so I'll stop hijacking this one till I'm done

cheers

bob

the missus got me two Celli's for my birthday today which allowed me to finish my setup.
The cheap mybeershop tap in the middle looks like a Daewoo between two Rolls Royces.
happy days!

4th keg is currently empty. Might fill it with my mates homebrew rum for the party tomorrow.

Aefjv8NCMAEel87.jpg

as you can see the blackboard paint is still wet.
Aefj4XUCQAM67TA.jpg

so stoked.

Not to worry, it was a birthday party & I got some decent presents, including a copy of Merc's book, a bottle of glenmorangie, and a $5 lowes voucher. haha

next time, it will be coles lager with 1kg of dex for the seagulls.

Finally finished my bar recently, got a lucky 7 font from Andale on special(doesn't mean cheap) and the taps off a mate on special(means very cheap). Got a chesty underneath that'll take 6 cornies. One gas regulator with 5 of those john guest t piece valves linked together. Works pretty well. The drip tray drains to a big ass bottle that stinks if I don't empty it regularly and even worse when it over flows. Base is just MDF with a black 2-pack finish. Got a 3" round stainless footrail to finish scotch brighting then that will finish her off nicely

DSC05919.jpg

DSC05921.jpg

Cheers

NDH

Wow, epic work.

Should post up some more photos. Also what's the top made out of? What chest freezer make/model?

The top is stainless with 32mm chipboard underneath. Got it fabricated with the recessed drip tray to suit, I should chuck the footrail on and take a few more snaps. The freezer is a hand me down from Moses himself and probably makes up for half my power bill, but it works.

Do you mind telling us what one of those fancy fonts, from Andale set you back.

$500-600 I think, that was about a year ago, not even flooded! Andale wanted another $140 odd each for the tap and snap lock. Hence I sourced them second hand and reconditioned them. You've convinced me to put my RDO to good use and get the rail on! Really need to use something other than electrcial tape on the handles to identify the lines in the freezer too.

$500-600 I think, that was about a year ago, not even flooded! Andale wanted another $140 odd each for the tap and snap lock. Hence I sourced them second hand and reconditioned them. You've convinced me to put my RDO to good use and get the rail on! Really need to use something other than electrcial tape on the handles to identify the lines in the freezer too.

$500-600 is actually a good price mate, especially for the peace of mind of having a new one.

Obviously that is expensive, but the result speaks for itself.
A very impressive setup.

Latest posts

Back