Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I finally finish my kegging setup

I scored a super old chest freezer from the in-laws (still works like a charm).
The only problem was that the compressor took up about 200mm from the whole bottom, no step. So I decided to put a collar on to make it high enough, which meant in the end I could fit 4 kegs instead of just 2.
I wanted to have the setup in the house and according to SWMBO it had to look good. So i decided on going for the coffin style setup.

Here she is, i'm filling a keg today and will put her to use over the weekend.

3819109567_d542676dba.jpg

Expansion for 2 more taps, when funds become available

3819109899_10d4e71c5e.jpg

I haven't decided to spay paint the bottom of the freezer, or make a frame and cover with wood.

3819110285_3980c6f2a2.jpg

Insulated the coffin, you can also see the collar

3819110645_4fd6a0d447.jpg

The 2 holes are for sucking cold air up(fan from underneath), and the other for letting it circulate/hoses

Budron, thats beautiful.
Looks clean and professional, and isn't too big.

Congrats on the setup.

Marlow

Not too much trouble, Just open the lid as usual. The hinges hold the weight.

3820034826_d8f45a3676.jpg

3820035120_4db0d89b5a.jpg

EDIT: I do have to take all the pint glasses off the top, obviously, which is a pit of a pain

my setup has just moved up a notch...

my old keg fridge has become a ferment fridge...and now i can chill 3 kegs in my new fridge.

med_gallery_10325_462_330437.jpg

med_gallery_10325_462_764245.jpg

med_gallery_10325_462_316886.jpg

Love the pics in here. Big inspiration.

Re-assembling my keg setup after a few years overseas (beer research). Still have my kegs*, but sold the fridge. I'd never thought of using a chest freezer. Looks like a cracker of an idea.

One question:

Anyone know a good place to get a temperature controller that doesn't need an electrician to set up? Seen some articles on the net that say there are ones that go between the power point and your freezer, with a thermostat that sits inside with the kegs.

* Still have some beer in my old kegs, brewed in 2006. Fingers crossed it's still drinkable!

Cheers.

WB

Love the pics in here. Big inspiration.

Re-assembling my keg setup after a few years overseas (beer research). Still have my kegs*, but sold the fridge. I'd never thought of using a chest freezer. Looks like a cracker of an idea.

One question:

Anyone know a good place to get a temperature controller that doesn't need an electrician to set up? Seen some articles on the net that say there are ones that go between the power point and your freezer, with a thermostat that sits inside with the kegs.

* Still have some beer in my old kegs, brewed in 2006. Fingers crossed it's still drinkable!

Cheers.

WB

Sinkas may still have this for sale.
Cheers
Doug :)

Legends!

I missed that page on the Grain & Grape website. What sinkas has for sale looks good too.

Cheers,

WB

I'm going "out on a limb" here, but it seems every "home bar" is generic in design -an area for the "Barman" with stools on the other side of the Bar.

How come no one has designed a self-serve bar with nice wooden bench up against the wall with backwards facing fonts to do self serve?

This could save about 2 sq M of floor space for a Barman to stand in that never got the job in the first place!

I'm with you on that one. Put the taps on a wall, put the fridges behind the wall, maximum entertaining space actually inside the bar. Its all self serve at my place.

font.jpg

Like this?
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7369

I have one connected to my ferment fridge.

In the years I've had it I've never had a problem.

Hey thunderlips, does the probe just hang from the roof of your fridge and hang suspended in the air? Is it easy to set up and does it maintain a constant temperature?

One last question, would it work it a chest freezer? I've read chest freezers are a lot cheaper to run than a fridge.

Cheers
Bowie

Lurker,

Great looking gig, any chance of some more pics of the setup?

Dean.

Hey thunderlips, does the probe just hang from the roof of your fridge and hang suspended in the air? Is it easy to set up and does it maintain a constant temperature?

One last question, would it work it a chest freezer? I've read chest freezers are a lot cheaper to run than a fridge.

Cheers
Bowie

Bowie, yes, yes and yes. My fermenting fridge is a chest freezer and I have one of these controllers. I run the probe under the rubber lid seal and it hangs over the wire basket supplied with the freezer so that it is away from the freezer wall. Many people have the probe stuck to the side of the fermenter. I have had no problems maintaining temperatures but I do have a digital thermometer inside the freezer measuring ambient as well as the usual stick-on thermometers on the fermenter. I occasionally check the validity of the stick-ons when taking samples.

Over the years I've started to get a handle on the actions of a few different yeasts (not many though) in terms of the amount of heat produced at different stages of fermentations and temperatures. This allows me to have a reasonable idea where to start with setting the temp controller. The other thing is that during the cooler months the freezer doesn't seem to turn on very often so I guess it is pretty economical to run.

So, yes the controller will work and doesn't require any wiring. I don't know, but a fridgie may suggest that this isn't an ideal way to cycle a freezer.

Thanks for the info Goomboogo, whilst this is more expensive than a fridgemate it certainly appears to be foolproof which is good for me and others with no electrical or technichal nous.

Do you have any pics of your set up?

Bowie

I'm with you on that one. Put the taps on a wall, put the fridges behind the wall, maximum entertaining space actually inside the bar. Its all self serve at my place.
Great setup there GL! :super:

You may like the tap handle I carved (with more on the way, when I get the time):

tiki_tap_progress2.jpg

img_6789_600w.jpg

Nice space saving setup and great cultural theme to boot! :beer:

Those are some awesome tap handles.

After a few months of having my set up I thought I'd show it off, it's not much but it is in the lounge room, so I only have about 5 metres to travel for a beer, less if I jump over the lounge :D
I think it looks quite at home next to the bar (which ATM is the home of my 60L fermenter)

Picture.jpg

Lurker,

Great looking gig, any chance of some more pics of the setup?

Dean.

I have posted a whole thread on it years ago, and the occasional photo since, might find it by searching on my name. Quite possibly there are some already in the 50 pages of this thread!

Bonj, nice work on the handles. The masks were carved for me by someone in Lombok, next time I might take him some handle blanks.

Those are some awesome tap handles.

After a few months of having my set up I thought I'd show it off, it's not much but it is in the lounge room, so I only have about 5 metres to travel for a beer, less if I jump over the lounge :D
I think it looks quite at home next to the bar (which ATM is the home of my 60L fermenter)

Picture.jpg

is that from the ebay store in melbourne selling them for $550? Hows it go

Bonj, nice work on the handles. The masks were carved for me by someone in Lombok, next time I might take him some handle blanks.
Thanks, GL. Sounds like a good idea. I love the bamboo drip tray you've got. That's awesome. I was thinking about making an outdoor bar with a bit of a tropical/polynesian theme. I love that stuff.

Back