Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finger,

I reckon I've dead set got the same model freezer as yourself. Old as all hell but still working well. I'm about to convert it to kegs. Do you have the gas inside or out??

Finger,

I reckon I've dead set got the same model freezer as yourself. Old as all hell but still working well. I'm about to convert it to kegs. Do you have the gas inside or out??

The gas is inside (the larger My Keg On Legs cylinder).

You can fit three Cornelius kegs and the gas bottle inside, but you need to "massage" the compressor dome on the floor a little with a hammer ;)

Also, the switches and lights on the front have a cable leading to them that passes through the lid, pretty much in the middle, so be careful not to hit them if drilling the lid :ph34r:

PZ.

Finger,

The gas is inside (the larger My Keg On Legs cylinder).

You can fit three Cornelius kegs and the gas bottle inside, but you need to "massage" the compressor dome on the floor a little with a hammer ;)

Also, the switches and lights on the front have a cable leading to them that passes through the lid, pretty much in the middle, so be careful not to hit them if drilling the lid :ph34r:

PZ.

Abit off the topic. But are there any safety concerns in keeping the gas tank + regulator in the fridge? Ive noticed alot of US kegging setups place there gas tanks in the fridge. I just want to minimise drilling holes into a perfectly new fridge when I go down the kegging pathway.

J

Thought about this the other day and I wouldn't think it's a problem.

I'd imagine a few North American homebrewers with kegging setups would store their cylinders outside the fridge. During winter, temperatures around there can drop below freezing, and without hearing about any incidents, I'd assume a cylinder would survive ~4C with ease.

I might check the temperature range on the MSDS when I get home and see what it says....if I can find it :huh:

PZ.

the main problem with it is condensation in the reg

MSDS I had on CO2 cylinders only stresses a maximum temperatre of 52C, another MSDS I just found says the same. I don't think the regulator would be affected, it'd probably be better if its kept at the same temperature to prevent fluctuations in any errors.

Edit: Good point about the condensation! But condensation where? If the CO2 is pure, there would be no water vapour to condensate on the inside of the regulator. I'd hope condensation on any of the external parts doesnt mess with them.

Catalina Cylinders manufacture the My Keg On Legs cylinders.

Just checked their websiteHere and found the same as Adam, plenty of heat warnings, but nothing about the cold :)

PZ.

i get condensation from the element in my fridge but it is an old one.

Yep its a stainless steel spray called "zinc". Luckily i manged to score a few cans from my father in laws metal frabrication company :party:
Cheers
Steve
Looks great. I didn't know you could get paint like that.
Might have to do the same to my fridge :)
Did you just spray over the white or did you sand back and all that?

Edit: Good point about the condensation! But condensation where? If the CO2 is pure, there would be no water vapour to condensate on the inside of the regulator. I'd hope condensation on any of the external parts doesnt mess with them.
I stuck my Co2 bottle and Harris regulator in the fridge when I first got my keg setup, for a few days before I got around to drilling holes, and the regulator condensed up in no time.
I thought it was just due to mosture inside the fridge and nothing to do with the Co2 itself.
Maybe some fridges are better than others in this regard, like newer ones for example.

Yep its a stainless steel spray called "zinc". Luckily i manged to score a few cans from my father in laws metal frabrication company :party:
Cheers
Steve
Looks great. I didn't know you could get paint like that.
Might have to do the same to my fridge :)
Did you just spray over the white or did you sand back and all that?

sanded back a few minor rusty patches with emery paper. Primed it with etch primer then sprayed. Tip of the day...wear goggles and a mask. The mask worked but I didnt wear goggles....the next day my eyes looked like id done 10 rounds in a ring. (swollen - almost closed).
Cheers
Steve

sanded back a few minor rusty patches with emery paper. Primed it with etch primer then sprayed. Tip of the day...wear goggles and a mask. The mask worked but I didnt wear goggles....the next day my eyes looked like id done 10 rounds in a ring. (swollen - almost closed).
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve.
All the info I need.

DSCN0063.JPG
DSCN0061.JPG

Dads 60th birthday on last Saturday.
Unfortunatly the bar wasn't finished due to gear box rebuilds.
However took it along anyway.
It was a great hit.
Towed very well.
Got some interestig looks on the way down the M1.

well heres my set up still need to mount taps and spill tray(just using a gun at the moment )
wish i had a bigger garage to fit more beer in
keg1xd7.jpg

keg2js8.jpg

thought i should add a post of my new toy.

gallery_3211_102_159059.jpg

gallery_3211_102_18996.jpg

gallery_3211_102_91615.jpg

the low profile couplers are great, a little hard to use at times but very convenient.

gallery_3211_102_182141.jpg

gallery_3211_102_194500.jpg

i can fit a 50L keg in here just having troubles getting it cold enough :( This also happens to be my first attempt at an extract brew, will be happy if it tastes better then a fosters light ice.

gallery_3211_102_186354.jpg

figured someone would want to know whats on the tray; Kokanee, Hahn Super Dry, Kronenberg, Lowenbrough, Bitburg, Peroni, Bluetounge Vintage Ale 2006, Hoffbrau, 2x remy XO, 2x Amber Ale HB. The selection is because my girlfriend has just found her beer pallate and wants to try some beers. the Hahn was her idea..

gallery_3211_102_63105.jpg

gallery_3211_102_8047.jpg

Anyways theres my new uncompleted bar. Future plans involve getting a 500L+ chest freezer, building a surround for it all, making a diy glycol system using peltiers, getting a cutout drip tray and changing to cornelius kegs. Commercial style are just a pain to use and trying to get a 50L keg into a small fridge will do my back sooner or later.

Nick

Hi all,

Upgraded from a 30 odd year old fridge having difficulty holding temp in the sydney summer, to a new converted Freezer. Has been through a couple of workups without complaints

IMG_0113ed.JPG
IMG_0114ed.JPG

Cede

IMGP1577_resize.JPG

Finally put my taps through the fridge door. Still finishing the inside but it's come up well so far... :p

IMGP1579_resize.JPG

Latest posts

Back