Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jye,
it's a proper beer tap, but unfortunately I have only done 3 kegs before and just put the tap on last Sunday. I am still experimenting with it. Plus I think I have over carbed my keg. DOOOH :( . I bought the font of e-bay and am waiting for another from US.
Hopefully should be working a treat by the weekend for my b'day party. Fingers crossed :chug:

Sorry Eric but I think it is soda draft arm :( a quick search on google will bring up heaps of pics. Link

You may have over carbonated your keg but the foaming could also be due to the font not being flooded and also the tap. I would still be interested to know how it goes once you have your keg carbonated correctly.

:( , gotta give it a try.

Just up dating my set-up and showing off my latest addition of 4 more small (4 litre) Taylor kegs
Any info on where to get the Taylor kegs from Offline ? :)

razz,

Try your local company that services the Taylors shake machines for fast food stores.
They are being phased out in some/most stores for plastic bag type things.
The company told me that I should have come in about a year ago they had hundreds (think they may have sold them for scrap :blink: ).
Unfortunately Im not expecting to get anymore <_< (but Ill keep trying).

Brian

Having just figured out how to add a picture to a post, (god I'm thick sometimes! :rolleyes: ) here's my setup..

(pretty modest compared to many on here) :beerbang:

I very nearly had a free fridge to turn into a kegerator earlier this year, but it managed to crap itself when it saw me with a drill. :p

The little white box was a chilled water dispensor that I've hacked to be a temprite. - saves having to chill whole kegs. Does mean I can only have 1 beer on at a time tho. But it's quick to swap between kegs.

Next step is to make a proper bar to house the tap in...

kegs.JPG

Hello Danbeer,
Tell me more about the water chiller, it sounds like a great idea. Is it a domestic or commercial type? How long does it take to chill the second beer? I had been using a 'cold plate'in the fridge with the keg outside the fridge and know how convient it is to have that type of set up, so i know what you are talking about.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Hello Danbeer,
Tell me more about the water chiller, it sounds like a great idea. Is it a domestic or commercial type? How long does it take to chill the second beer? I had been using a 'cold plate'in the fridge with the keg outside the fridge and know how convient it is to have that type of set up, so i know what you are talking about.

Hi.

Here's a picture of the insides.

I suppose it was a commercial chiller - it was one where the bottle sat on top, and you dispensed chilled water through a tap in the front.

Not having a fridge suitable, and being too cheap to buy one, I picked up the chiller from a mate who didn't want it any more (Yay for freebies! :) )

Essentially all I have done it pull the cooling coil from around the SS water basin and made a cheap heat exchanger with some plastic tubing, all mounted in a little foam esky borrowed from work. I've also mounted a pond pump in there to keep the water circulating (stops it freezing into a solid block, and hence freezing the beer in the line).

The water temp stays at about 3deg, and my beers come out at about 6deg which is just fine for the ales I think. :D

Changing over beers is as simple as changing the disconnects on the kegs. The line only holds about 400ml, so once that's pushed thru you're onto the other beer. Altho I probably could just add a second line to it for a second beer... Hmmm... <_<

temprite.JPG

Well done Danbeer, it's great ideas like yours that make this site so interesting.Keep up the good work and good luck with your bar.

DSC06010_resize.JPGDSC06011_resize.JPG
Heers a picture off my bar and juke box ive made up. I still need a bigger fridge to fit 3 or 4 kegs in at the moment there is only one it there with a ploto gun untill one turns up.
Ill add some photos of my brew setup when i get it out on the week end (I hope) to do an IPA.

Here is my keg fridge, which is in our kitchen.

The taps are Lancer taps but I have replaced the Tooheys New and VB tap handles that came with them with the Speights and Speights Old Dark handles that a mate managed to score for me in NZ. Thank god he did as being a kiwi boy I couldn't live with the New and VB handles :)

Actually I have also just scored two Goesser tap handles from Austria. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Cheers,
Doc

G'day Doc,
I've just picked up the exact same fridge as this one (minus the kegging gear). Are you able to give me any tips or advice on how best to convert my(this model) fridge into a kegging set-up. I will probably only have one tap initially so i'm thinking that offsetting it to one side to start with would be good once i get the cash together for a second tap. Any help appreciated. Thanks

BTW where's the best place to purchase a kegging set-up in NSW (i'm in Newcastle)

Pointy

BTW where's the best place to purchase a kegging set-up in NSW (i'm in Newcastle)

Pointy

Pointy,

Without doubt Mark's Home Brew is the best for kegs (and other things) in the Hunter region. Can also supply your own gas bottle rather than renting one.

See here for contact details.

David
Happy customer and supplier.

nice bar Batz was trying to think of a way to incorporate a sheet of galvanised roof into a bar and i think you just solved it for me....

nice work other guys too...

DSCN1688.JPG

ITS ALIVE!!!!

DSCN1689.JPG

Beer font with crappy handles. Can't complain got it for NIX! :D

DSCN1690.JPG

Gas dist board 3x regs (also for nothing.) Digital temp control. This area will become a cupboard.

DSCN1691.JPG

Confusion central.

Have found place selling 200 year old reclaimed spotted gum turned into floor boards for top.

15cm top overhang with down lights.

Checker plate sides.
Its on wheels and the whole unit will fit in my 6x4 trailer.

Biggest pary set up?

Just got my freezer up and running today.

1stTapOn1stFont.JPG

At the moment there is only one beer line hooked up, as I'm waiting on a shipment of parts from the US to connect up the rest.

Once that stuff arrives there'll be another tap like this one (but with a white handle) on the other end and a Perlick Ventmatic style tap in the centre :super:

I'll eventually put some wood veneer on the side panels and maybe a slab of nice looking timber on top, but this'll do for now :D

Now I just need to get rid of the old setup...c'mon Steve, help me free up some space :lol:

PZ.

*edit* - forgot to mention that the freezer only cost $35...and also forgot to thank Razz, who sold me the font ages ago for a really good price :beer:

Great work Fingerlickin' looking the goods.

Slightly OT, but what would you consider the minimum depth a freezer needs for a corny keg. I have four arriving in October and I'm in the market for a freezer, but some of the smaller ones sound a little shallow... Bit worried I won't be able to close it!

Yours looks a perfect size.

Cheers

Slightly OT, but what would you consider the minimum depth a freezer needs for a corny keg. I have four arriving in October and I'm in the market for a freezer, but some of the smaller ones sound a little shallow... Bit worried I won't be able to close it!

Cheers

Mine has a depth of just over 70cm...I thought it might be too shallow when I purchased it, but there is still a fair bit of head room.

A standard Corny is 63.45cm tall, so adding a few mm for the disconnects 65cm would be your absolute minimum I reckon :beer:

PZ.

Here is my keg fridge, which is in our kitchen.

The taps are Lancer taps but I have replaced the Tooheys New and VB tap handles that came with them with the Speights and Speights Old Dark handles that a mate managed to score for me in NZ. Thank god he did as being a kiwi boy I couldn't live with the New and VB handles :)

Actually I have also just scored two Goesser tap handles from Austria. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Cheers,
Doc

G'day Doc,
I've just picked up the exact same fridge as this one (minus the kegging gear). Are you able to give me any tips or advice on how best to convert my(this model) fridge into a kegging set-up. I will probably only have one tap initially so i'm thinking that offsetting it to one side to start with would be good once i get the cash together for a second tap. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Pointy

Hey Pointy,

Sorry I missed your post, but here we go.
That fridge has died and gone to fridge heaven a few council cleanups ago, but she did a great job.
All I did was drilled a couple of holes in the door, and one in the side (for gas) and she served me well for over three years.

Beers,
Doc

Cheers

Bugwan, it's a very simple job to put a collar around the top of your chest freezer to get a little extra height

Outside
Fridge.jpg

Inside
keks_inside.jpg

Cheers Ross

Cheers

Mine has a depth of just over 70cm...I thought it might be too shallow when I purchased it, but there is still a fair bit of head room.

A standard Corny is 63.45cm tall, so adding a few mm for the disconnects 65cm would be your absolute minimum I reckon :beer:

PZ.

Thanks for the reply - just what I was after mate. Will continue my shopping in earnest...!

Bugwan

Cheers

Bugwan, it's a very simple job to put a collar around the top of your chest freezer to get a little extra height

Cheers Ross

Excellent set up Ross. I've done quite a bit of research on the collars etc. They look do-able with the tools I have... (whether the skills are up to scratch is more the question).

I'm just hoping to hit the ground running when the kegs arrive - I've had a few set backs in the brewery (all non-brewing related), so let's hope I can sort this one out.

Your example of a collar seems more straight-forward than some I've seen (Doc's, for instance!!), but I may have been thrown by the whole fridge-veneer thing...

Nice manifold by the way, I'll be contacting you before long for some more hardware :)

Oh yeah, Ross makes a very good point.

Although you have to be good with wood to do that...I'd screw it up bigtime.......I could do it with steel though :D

PZ.

Latest posts

Back