Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
I don't need a chainsaw...but I feel like Jason from Friday the 13th every time I hold it...
I always thought Jase was more of a machete man.

Leatherface however...well a picture tells a 1000 words

leatherface.jpg

I've just made the move to kegging in the last fortnight, and I doubt I'll ever bottle beers again. For me, it was the expense of setting it up that was holding me back. Once I was able to get that money tucked away, I jumped at it, and was lucky enough to find a fridge for sale the same weekend that was plumbed with a tap and ready to go.

My wife is happy that the plethora of bottles will soon be recycled, freeing up space and making my brewery look neater and tidier. She's even promised me that if I get organised and get a deck put on the front of the house, we can borrow a little extra to buy a kegorator.

I think there would be a lot of people on this forum who would agree that it is a slippery slope once you start. It's great to have that next thing that you're looking forward to (in my case another couple of kegs, then a second tap) so that you can upgrade your brewery just a little bit more

Recently finished my keezer conversion and pretty happy with how it came up

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391076216.990090.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391076239.500532.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391076269.754594.jpg

The main factor for me was time. For bottling a double batch is need a few hours where with kegging it takes about 10 minutes to clean a keg and no time at all to fill and carb one.

The hardware was about the most expensive thing in my whole set up which is BIAB but I wanted to get taps that would go the distance. Probably in for around $900 all up for the keezer but spread over 6 months or so that was doable and well worth it to have draught beer in the garage!

Now the challenge of brewing enough to keep four taps on begins!

Paulbroad said:
I've just made the move to kegging in the last fortnight, and I doubt I'll ever bottle beers again. For me, it was the expense of setting it up that was holding me back. Once I was able to get that money tucked away, I jumped at it, and was lucky enough to find a fridge for sale the same weekend that was plumbed with a tap and ready to go.

My wife is happy that the plethora of bottles will soon be recycled, freeing up space and making my brewery look neater and tidier. She's even promised me that if I get organised and get a deck put on the front of the house, we can borrow a little extra to buy a kegorator.

I think there would be a lot of people on this forum who would agree that it is a slippery slope once you start. It's great to have that next thing that you're looking forward to (in my case another couple of kegs, then a second tap) so that you can upgrade your brewery just a little bit more?
I kegged from the get go.

I didn't give a Fuk what the beer tasted like, I just wanted to have tapped beer in my backyard. I bottle now with keg leftovers but that as far as I ever got. Oh and I try to make good beers these days :)

Hey cheers everyone for all the responses its been great.. but god do I need to buy myself a chainsaw now :ph34r:

Initially I really liked the look of KK kegerator ready to go just because of how nice it looks but it seems for the same price/less I could make myself one from a freezer that will probably keep cool better, fit more and let me drink more, while taking up a similar about of space in the house (important at the moment). Going to have to have a think about it honestly and see what I think.

For anyone else coming through looking for more info later this video by Northern Brewer was really informative I found .

Enjoy your weekend chaps :chug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very tempted to build a keezer, but some of the things that drew me to the kegerator were the light weight, and that it comes with wheels and holes for the gas and font. The plan is to keep it in my brew-cave, and move it onto the back deck when gatherings demand...

A keezer would have been cheaper (2nd hand anyway), and I could have gotten one that would hold more kegs/taps than the KK kegerator. On the other hand a freezer needs an stc-1000 to control the temp, and a collar to fit kegs/mount taps. So each has its advantages and drawbacks. First world problems eh?

Too right carnie, but first world problems are haaaaard =P

I'm really struggling with which way to jump, luckily I have time to think it through :drinks:

carniebrew said:
I was very tempted to build a keezer, but some of the things that drew me to the kegerator were the light weight, and that it comes with wheels and holes for the gas and font. The plan is to keep it in my brew-cave, and move it onto the back deck when gatherings demand...

A keezer would have been cheaper (2nd hand anyway), and I could have gotten one that would hold more kegs/taps than the KK kegerator. On the other hand a freezer needs an stc-1000 to control the temp, and a collar to fit kegs/mount taps. So each has its advantages and drawbacks. First world problems eh?
I had the same dilemma, went with the KK kegerator, been great, small and light enough I just chuck it in the back of the wagon and take it to mates places.

The good thing about it is that a lot of what you buy for kegging is re-usable if you change your mind (kegs, taps, lines, co2 bottle), and pretty much everything else is very saleable. You see how quickly that stuff goes when someone posts it in the AHB buy/sell forum.

If I decide one day that an 8-keg keezer would better suit my needs, my kegerator could just become another ferment/crash chill fridge.

Did you both key your KK new or second hand? I have seen a couple around 2nd hand but I wonder if the extra cost for all new is worthwhile?

My kegerator/font/taps were new, the 4 kegs I bought were 2nd hand cornies. I got my stuff from Cheeky Peak Brewery online, shipped to the Fastway depot in Pt Melb where I picked it up myself.

carniebrew said:
My kegerator/font/taps were new, the 4 kegs I bought were 2nd hand cornies. I got my stuff from Cheeky Peak Brewery online, shipped to the Fastway depot in Pt Melb where I picked it up myself.
Thanks carnie, I think it would be worth buying that new if possible, cheeky looks great but I'm in Perth so going to have to try something as good local.

Got mine second hand, KK series 3 2 tap, 6 cornies, 2.6kg bottle and other misc for ~$600
The only issue I have is if it is not level and tilted to the front when the drip tray fills up and overflows as it always does at a party it would run over the buttons and make it sound an alarm until you powered it on and off again, eventually had to replace the button panels when it stopped completely and was stuck on 10c.
Morel of the story, make sure its level and the included drip tray fills really quickly so larger one is better although it was only ~$30 for the part still a hassle.

OzPaleAle said:
Got mine second hand, KK series 3 2 tap, 6 cornies, 2.6kg bottle and other misc for ~$600
The only issue I have is if it is not level and tilted to the front when the drip tray fills up and overflows as it always does at a party it would run over the buttons and make it sound an alarm until you powered it on and off again, eventually had to replace the button panels when it stopped completely and was stuck on 10c.
Morel of the story, make sure its level and the included drip tray fills really quickly so larger one is better although it was only ~$30 for the part still a hassle.
Cheapest I have seen in Perth is $780 for less than that :huh: Will have to keep my eyes out for something!

Why Keg?
Because i almost lost an eye from an exploded bottle =(
post-29771-1387519783496.jpg

Edit to add, thats all that was left of the bottle and a chunk flew up and left a gash on the bridge of my nose. soooo lucky!

maxim0200 said:
Why Keg?
Because i almost lost an eye from an exploded bottle =(
post-29771-1387519783496.jpg

Edit to add, thats all that was left of the bottle and a chunk flew up and left a gash on the bridge of my nose. soooo lucky!
That's a really good point actually, I'm glad you are alright!

Latest posts

Back