Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey looking to add a fan in my Keezer to help keep the air up the top cool....is it best to add the fan to the top of the keezer and have it pushing the warmer air down or have it suck the cold air up...or should it be at the bottom and push cold air up?

I plan on modding a old phone charger to power it

I honestly don't think it matters which way you go, as long as it gives decent circulation. Some like to distribute through some ingenious plumbing but I just put a fan on stilts so it keeps of the bottom.

My new keezer build. There is a thread generally following the build but I thought I'd post here to show it off.

Very happy with the build considering I am an I.T geek and am typically useless with anything DIY

keezer.jpg

Wow looks classy as, nice work on the mouldings adds a bit of class to it.

cheers mate, was a bit of a pain getting the mitres right but I surprised myself haha.

Here is the drip tray upgrade and a pic of the inside...

I've since replaced those plastic/paper labels with eatonlaser keg tags, much nicer and waterproof

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Hey folks!

I was just wondering if there is a reason everyone seems to wait to get into kegging until later in their brewing careers? Why not get one earlier on as it seems like a better option than bottling? My guess is purely the additional costs?

Wilkens

Wilkensone said:
Hey folks!

I was just wondering if there is a reason everyone seems to wait to get into kegging until later in their brewing careers? Why not get one earlier on as it seems like a better option than bottling? My guess is purely the additional costs?

Wilkens
Yep, generally costs. Most seem to start with a $50 brew kit from Big W or similar and it's a slippery slope from there. I probably wouldn't have started brewing (or the wife wouldn't have let me) if you'd told me about the $1000s I'd end up spending.

Its usually just a part of the progression, when you end up spending so much time washing and cleaning bottles, kegging starts to become a very attractive option.

Some folks jump right on in and avoid the whole bottle thing..

at one point I was managing 300 longnecks and about 100 Grolsch types.. I liked the process at the time when I had a bit more time on my hands than I currently do.

Kegs all the ay now, if I bottle (unless for comps) it's right into growlers of a blend keg :beerbang:

Wilkensone said:
Hey folks!
Wilkens
I bottled my first two brews years ago and decided f**k this, I'm not doing this every time! Picked up a cheap 2nd hand fridge, a single keg and a tap through the door. Never bottled again!

Wilkensone said:
I bottle, and I don't find it the pain it used to be. No rinse steriliser has made a big difference for me. I rinse the bottles when I drink them, and then when it comes to bottling I just use the no-rinse. It takes just over one CD worth of music (~50min, and 5min of that time is rearranging kids bikes etc so I can get to the bottling station).

However, I am mightily keen to get into kegging, have been reading this thread in envy, and have been slowly softening SWMBO up to the idea. We are currently at an impasse as she says no to having a setup inside. She has said I can turn our bedroom into a boys room on the condition that we extend the house upwards to build a new bedroom. Not sure if she's serious or is relying on my legendary tight@rsedness to bluff me.

Thanks for all of the responses they have been really helpful the benefit of the keg is also it doesn't take up much space and have no storage issues for bottles either!!

Just wondering if there is any advice over new/used, brands or what to look out for? If anyone has ballpark figures for anything that would appreciated.

Cheers

Definitely the $ although within a year of buying a kit from big w I went to BIAB with a rig built from an old keg with a beer fridge + 3 taps, onto a BM and 6 tap keezer. It is the slipperiest slope I have ever set foot on...

Never bottled a beer in my life. Bought 11 cornies, two taps and a 440liter single door fridge n got out the hole saw.
Then I thought I better buy a fermenter.

Rossco

NickB said:
I think Crusty means bubbles of CO2... I always have a glass or so of foam before I pour especially on warm days. I have 5m I line Cheers
I did mean bubbles of CO2, cheers Nick.

Wilkensone said:
Hey folks!

Wilkens
I distinctly recall saying "I can't see myself kegging" about 9 months or so ago. I never had a problem with bottling, I actually kinda liked the whole process of it all...but then I'm one of those guys who rinses used bottles after drinking, so all it took on bottling day is a squirt of starsan on my bottling tree and they were ready to go.

I now have a kegerator, 4 kegs and 3 taps. Why? Mostly 'coz it's just...bloody...cool. Similar reason I own a chainsaw. I don't need a chainsaw...but I feel like Jason from Friday the 13th every time I hold it...

Latest posts

Back