Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farewell Cocko........insert funeral march here.

timmi9191 said:
Pc fans run on 12v or sometimes 5v.. Ever put a 9v battery on your tongue? Did u live to tell the tell??
Will have a look into it then!

timmi9191 said:
Pc fans run on 12v or sometimes 5v.. Ever put a 9v battery on your tongue? Did u live to tell the tell??

Volts won't kill you, it's the current that does the trick.

Plenty dead from low voltage high amp kicks.

Ok. So I'm setting up my kegging system and I seem to have run into a bit of a road block connecting my beer lines to my taps.

I bought the taps and font from a reverse garbage kind of place here in Canberra for $40 which was an absolute steal - or at least will be if I can figure out how to put it together. It consisted of a 4 tap font, 4 x fatlocks, 3 x taps and 2 of those things you put your beer labels on so you know which beer is in which tap.

However I'm having trouble connecting the actual beer lines to the fatlocks - more accurately, I'm having trouble removing the existing beer lines. Here are some pictures.

This is the entire tap assembly pulled apart:

This is the end where I'm trying to remove the beer lines:

And this is where it attaches to the font:

Now obviously the beer line is being held in by that brass bolt, but try as much as I can I can't budge that bolt - it wont even move after some WD-40. It's the same on the other three connectors (though the beer line has been cut off with only a few millimeters on those ones.) So my question: is there some sort of trick to removing these or is there a replacement part I can get so that I can connect the tap via other means.

G'day Scon,

I am no expert, not ever having anything to do with these fittings. Are they perhaps left handed thread on the brass nut, although this seems unlikely as they would tend to loosen when you did up the other thread. The only other thing I would suggest is that it may be like a John Guest fitting where you have to press the brass nut in to pull the line out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew.

i was going to suggest the same... might be a lefty tighty situation.

The nut does come off just replaced my beer lines.
Mine wouldn't budge as well, I cut the beer line short, soaked it in boiling water for about 10min then used a socket to loosen it

This was on an Andale font

Hope this helps

I'm going for a coffin style setup with two perlic flow control taps on the coffin.. what kind of shank/fastening should I use for something thin like a coffin wall? I'm going mfl disconnects on the kegs.

Does a perlick come with any fittings?

Good score Scon, I'm always at Revolve looking for bargains......I would have been all over those too.

Yeah... I think I'll need to get a socket wrench and a vice to get this off. Thanks all... will let you know of the progress once it's all up and running.

It doesnt push through does it scon? I had an andale like that and it had an olive in the end of it. The beer line pushed through from memory. But my memory isnt that amazing.So quite possibly I am wrong. But I am certain there is an olive on the end of that line.

djar007 said:
It doesnt push through does it scon? I had an andale like that and it had an olive in the end of it. The beer line pushed through from memory. But my memory isnt that amazing.So quite possibly I am wrong. But I am certain there is an olive on the end of that line.

An olive is one of those little expanding pieces of metal yeah? It looks like it may have that, but it's definitely not pushing through.

This is it from the other side, the round ring in the middle appears to be metal:

Another (clearer) photo - click for larger:

So I'm 90% sure the I have to remove the brass bolt and then there'll be an olive on it which I'll need to push through... I'll go to bunnings tonight and see if I can get a wrench or something that'll be able to remove it.

IMG_0090.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0095.JPGsome pics of my 8 keg keezer. 5 taps, 5 different beers and 3 reserves being carbonated. (a little bit of food as well)

Just in case anyone else in the future has the same problems I had, I managed to get the bolt out of two of the font connectors using a 9/16" spanner and used some rubber matting we use to put under chopping boards when prepping food so I could actually grip the thing.

This is what it looks like when dissassembled. I have two of the little olive's in this picture so you can see it with and without the hose.

Nice work scon. Thats the little bugger I was talking about. But different setup to the one I had. Least you can clean it up nice and thread tape the nut for next time.

Yeah. Thinking I'll soak the lot (minus the rubber bits) in some hot sodium percarbonate and then hit it with a toothbrush, then tape it up and put it back together.

Bar and keezer setup finally done in time for summer. Freezer was $70 and holds 4 kegs! Absolutely loving it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Latest posts

Back