Kegging And Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The7

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently I have done 2 brews, one was an Ipa with 100gms of fuggles. the other was an amber ale with 75gms of hallertau hops.

i kegged both brew, they both had reasonably late hop additons as I more wanted the flavour and aroma, with a little bitterness to add to what already existed in the kits.

Now both brews were full of hop flavour and aroma after sampling for a couple of weeks, but after some time had passed in the keg, they seemed to change, they had less hop flavour and aroma and a touch more bitterness.

what is happening? Is the co2 scrubbing out some of the flavour/aroma?

Im still drinking the amber ale, is it too late to dry hop the keg to get some addition hop goodness?

the flavour and aroma of hops in the keg will slowly disappear over time. THats why i like my bitters and apa;s, when i brew them, fresh

the flavour and aroma of hops in the keg will slowly disappear over time. THats why i like my bitters and apa;s, when i brew them, fresh

Yeah, I dry hopped the Ipa with 12gms, but it still lost flavour and aroma :(

so.. what so special about a keg then that it makes hops lose their aroma and flavour? Or do bottles do that too with time and ive just been drinking them to quickly to give them a chance.

Maybe im just not drinking them quick enough :huh:

does adding more dry hops to an already carbonated beer have much affect?

CO2 produced during fermentation scrubs out flavour/aroma of hops which is why you dry hop once most the fermentation is complete. dry hopping straight into the keg seems to be the way to go for maximum flavour/aroma (within a hop ball or its will screw up your system with hops all through it). beer will of course loose late addtion flavour/aroma the longer you leave it, so IPA, wheat etc are best drunk young. good excuse to get stuck into them.

Latest posts

Back