Kegging after fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nullnvoid

Reaction score
Tried to search for this, but the search function is shithouse. It has probably been discussed.

What are the negative effects in kegging a beer immediately after fermentation has finished. So have a brew, 4 days its done its business. Why would you wait?

Asking for a friend.

Diacetyl would be your biggest concern. Gotta give them yeasts time to clean up after themselves.

Then, it's a clarity issue. No cold crash means more crud in your keg.

Why would you wait?
Time for yeasties to clean up after themselves.
Then time for yeast to drop/clear - aided by cold crash. Though you could do this in the keg, first few beers poured might be a bit more cloudy.

I'm probably only going to be able to cold-crash one of the two beers I have fermenting right now - outside of it not being clear, is there a problem with this?

it's for drinking w/family at christmas so I'm really not super concerned about clarity. we'll drink anything :)

Ok so follow up question. How long does it take for them to clean up? or is this dependent on different factors.

Still asking for a friend ;) He has a lot of questions!

Two days is ideal for a diacetyl rest. Ramp it up to 21C, two days later, start crash chilling (or straight to keg if you're so inclined)

Perfect! Thanks for yours helps.

I'll wait another couple days to be sure then keg. Don't have access to cold crash currently. I mean my friend. My friend has no access to cold crash :)

If you're doing ales at normal ale temps, there's no need to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest ( won't hurt, just not needed), just leave it for a couple more days as suggested.

Perfect! Thanks for yours helps.

I'll wait another couple days to be sure then keg. Don't have access to cold crash currently. I mean my friend. My friend has no access to cold crash :)
Did your friend pickup from Midnight on Friday?

I know someone that has a double glass door fridge that he bought a couple of months ago, just needs a compressor. Oh is it yours mtb?:D
Nah, I have a super heavy stainless steel cabinet with some weird broken shit on top. Oh.. Did I mention expensive? That too

Will be a fermenting fridge at this stage. My current fermenting fridge has died. Thus picked a week to get some brews done before it gets too hot and want to put in kegs as soon as postible.

If you're doing ales at normal ale temps, there's no need to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest ( won't hurt, just not needed), just leave it for a couple more days as suggested.

Indeed. I brewed an ale 4 days ago, pitched SO4 at 3pm. Tasted it this morning and it was fine so dropped the temp to 11c which is about the coldest I ever crash, normally about 12c-13c.

I expect to cask it in 3 or 4 days and it should ready in another 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Back