Keg Set Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan.temple

Reaction score
Alright this is fairly embarrassing but I just can't get my beer to come out of the keg :S. Everything is set up and the gas is going in no problem, I've just got water in there with star san and just trying to get that working before I risk the beer. I've got the quick disconnect with a female adapter to the beerline and then to the tap. The beer isn't even making it into the tube. Any help? Would love to force carb the beer tonight, but starting to look doubtful

Sorry if this stuff sounds silly, but ...

What actually happens when you open the tap ... anything?
If nothing, what happens when you attach just the quick disconnect and some line (no tap)?
It should spray water/stuff all over the place, so put the end of the line into a bucket.
If it discharges only gas have you put the dip-tube in place?. ;)
Are you pushing the quick disconnect all the way down on the post (the above test should tell you if you are).

Are you sure the gas is going in fine?
Does a volume of gas escape when you pull up the pressure relief valve?

Sorry if this stuff sounds silly, but ...

What actually happens when you open the tap ... anything?
If nothing, what happens when you attach just the quick disconnect and some line (no tap)?
It should spray water/stuff all over the place, so put the end of the line into a bucket.
If it discharges only gas have you put the dip-tube in place?. ;)
Are you pushing the quick disconnect all the way down on the post (the above test should tell you if you are).

Are you sure the gas is going in fine?
Does a volume of gas escape when you pull up the pressure relief valve?

Nothing when I open the tap.
Yeah took the tap off earlier and no water, not even getting out of the quick disconnect.
No gas escaping the disconnect either.
Dip-tube is in place.
Yeah Gas is definitely going in fine, if the gas is open and i open the quick release valve it will come out continuously until i shut it.
When I put the pressure to 70Kpa, should the beer just be pushed out into the tube? I'm thinking i just have to be missing really dumb.

May be obvious but have you got the quick disconnect with the tap connected to the liquid out on the keg?

Nothing when I open the tap.
When I put the pressure to 70Kpa, should the beer just be pushed out into the tube? I'm thinking i just have to be missing really dumb.
If the quick-disconnect is correctly attached (pushed all the way down and 'clicked' on) stuff should come out (either liquid or gas).
I found this out by spraying the bookcase with beer when I first tested attaching the liquid out disconnects, so your issue may be simple or dumb but at least your books are safe. ;)
Only other guess I have is that there is something (a blockage) in the diptube, post or disconnect, because it should push beer into the 'out' line when the disconnect is attached and it should come out when the tap is opened or just when the line is opened.

Yeah checked the dip tube and it's all clear.
When I took of the diconnect and used my thumbnail to push down on the pin (forgot the real name) seemed that it wanted to press some water out, so it really seems its the quick disconnect where the problem lies, but I've tried 2 brand new ones so that just doesn't seem to make sense either, arghh, I've attached a couple of photos to hopefully show what I've done wrong.
keg_1.jpg
keg_2.jpg
keg_3.jpg
keg_4.jpg

If things were working as expected (and the keg was pressurized) whatever is in the keg would be spraying all over the place in the picture above (just ask my book-case).
Have you tried replacing the liquid-out-post with a new/different one and/or a new/different poppet-valve?

If things were working as expected (and the keg was pressurized) whatever is in the keg would be spraying all over the place in the picture above (just ask my book-case).
Have you tried replacing the liquid-out-post with a new/different one and/or a new/different poppet-valve?

Yeah I have, this is getting upsetting. I'm sure it's pressurised properly but I suppose there has to be something wrong going on there. Do i only need to turn the reg to approx 70kpa and it should start spraying? when i use quick the release valve its very loud and the co2 is flying out and also when it is going in there is sound and i've checked closely for any leaks just in case not enough has been getting in but i can't see any

depressurize the keg, disconnect everything
pour hot water in and swirl it around with the cover closed
depress the Liquid-out poppet with a screw-driver u should get hot water shooting out. if not u have a faulty poppet
depress the Gas-in poppet with a screw-driver u should here gas coming out. if not u have a faulty poppet

Yeah when I hit the poppet down it comes flying out, what I'm thinking is that the gas disconnects and beer out ones are different and the beer ones poppet isn't as long and can't get the beer out? Could this be right?

aaahhhh, kegging.

So much easier than bottling.

now why wont this bottle open, **** who put the lid on so tight, OMG im fucked,.....oh heres a bottle opener....yum beer. :p

sorry, couldn't help myself, its Friday..no work, Brew a batch, drink a few, wouldnt mind a keg setup, but thats an argument that can wait till next year....

I hope you get that keg sorted...

edit: grammar, me not talk proper..

Gas and Beer disconnects are different.

You really have to click them down too, try pulling the skirt around the disconnect up as you push it in (oi oi!)
Sometimes they just dont seat quite right. Id guess that is most likely your problem. You can try letting gravity run water through the beer out with the lid off to confirm the post is unobstructed.

You can also try a gas one on what you think is your beer out post (make sure its not connected to your reg when you try.) it shouldnt fit, or you have them mixed up/two gas posts (unlikely)

you can put gas disconnects on the out post, so put that on and see what happens.

Where R U, if your close to someone they might be easier to pop over with the keg and let someone else have a look.

Have you checked the liquid dip tube, valves and posts for blockages?

It is obvious to be something with your disconnects. However, you said you have tried two pairs now so either they are not seating properly ontop of the poppet valves or the JG fittings are not allowing the liquid through to the line.

It is obvious your gas is working as you are getting gas out of your PRV. You only need a little gas in the keg to push liquid into the lines.

I assume you don't have another keg to try this setup on?.... I really don't think it is your keg or gas.

As wolfy said... in this photo, if the connection was sound the liquid would be coming out. Sounds like the problem is either the post or the disconnect.

This is what i'd do;
- depress the liquid out poppet with a small screwdriver to check it depresses properly, looking for liquid to come squirting out when pressurized. If not, remove it from the keg and breakdown the post and check that the poppet depresses properly and give the lot a good clean.
- Breakdown the liquid disconnect. Broad screwdriver in top and everything should come apart and give it a clean out. There may be some gunk in there not letting anything through.

Good luck

There's only a few things it can be.
Process of elimination...

Assuming that you havent mixed up your gas in and beer out posts....
Charge your keg with gas, get a srewdriver and push down on your out post poppet. if you get a face full of the keg contents, it's not the keg.
If you get a dribble out, unscrew your post and clear the debris underneath and from the dip tube.

That rules your keg out.

disconnect your 'quick disconnect' from any lines so it's by itself and connect it to the beer out.
if you get a crotch full of contents, its not the QD.

If you don't end up with a soggy crotch, then it's the QD.
if you have tried multiple QD with no soggy crotch action, then it's probably your keg post.

Unscrew it and swap it with another keg to test.

also, get some KY jelly from your wifes top drawer and smear a LITTLE BIT around your balls (of your QD you filthy *******).
Just to make sure it's connecting right. you need to make sure it's pushed all the way down.
if that fixes it, go to dick smiths or jaycar and get some food grade lubricant and smear that on your balls.

Cheers,

BF

another to try, put the gas onto the beer out post then turn the pressue up, you should hear the water bubble, that'll let you know if you have a blockage.

another to try, put the gas onto the beer out post then turn the pressue up, you should hear the water bubble, that'll let you know if you have a blockage.

And assuming there is a blockage, he can then await for the same blockage to come back up his dip tube and re-block his beer-out post after the gas blasted it back into his beer.

Other than that, it's a winner. :p

BF

Latest posts

Back