Keg Boiler - Nipple Or Coupling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading my boiler using a 50 litre keg. I have cut the top off no probs and now considering options for fitting a tap.

I have got the compression fitting aspect covered pretty well. However I am also considering welding(will be getting a local shop to TIG weld it). My question is - is it preferable to weld a coupling to the keg so that i can screw in a nipple or whatever fitting for maximum flexibility? Or is it better to weld a toe nipple directly onto the keg for attaching the ball valve? Or does the question of complexity, and hence cost of the job come into play as well??

Cheers
Roach

My vote would be to get a socket (coupling) welded into it, and get it welded so it partially penetrates to the inside of the keg, then you can connect something on the inside also if that takes your fancy... as I do, with a screen to keep hops from being transferred.

dreamboat

Thanks dreamboat you have confirmed the way I was leaning. I'll take it down the local welding shop and see what the damage will be. If exhorbitant I'll go back to the compression fitting way

cheers
Roach

Latest posts

Back