DIN50 Keg - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caney

Reaction score
Hi Brew Peeps,
Seeking a little help please.

I am in present purchasing a keg off Bintani, just waiting new stock, a 50 litre DIN size keg.
Reason I have gone DIN size is that it is the right fit for my freezer, 381mm x 600mm.
It also has a threaded entry, 14TPI which I want to use for easy spear removal and install, well in thought anyhow. This is where my issue lies.

I am looking for a D-Type spear to fit. Now Bintani will sell me this, but its the commercial style which contains the safety mech which requires to be defeated for removal. Not ideal, as I want to remove the spear at will. As per this post https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/how-do-i-get-into-this-keg.18776/ and pic attached.

My question, does anyone know where / if a spear can be purchased for this sized keg that you can install and remove at will?
  1. I have contacted MicroMatic and they are as above also.
  2. I have contacted KegKing, and they have one, however its suited for the CUB style kegs and not quite long enough for the 600mm keg. http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/kegs/d-type-screw-in-spear-for-50l-keg.html
Any assistance would be awesome,
Cheers
Caney

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 101
it's been a while since I played with a commerical style keg.. but i thought there was a little locking tab that could be cut/broken off to allow simple removal - happy to be corrected.

Or just extend Keg Kings spear with a little silicon hose?

good luck

it's been a while since I played with a commerical style keg.. but i thought there was a little locking tab that could be cut/broken off to allow simple removal - happy to be corrected.

Or just extend Keg Kings spear with a little silicon hose?

good luck

The locking tab is on the A type kegs, Tooheys, Lion Nathan etc.
The D type kegs have the cir clip.

I have contacted KegKing, and they have one, however its suited for the CUB style kegs and not quite long enough for the 600mm keg. http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/kegs/d-type-screw-in-spear-for-50l-keg.html

~120mm* of standard 19mm irrigation tube. Heat the tube in boiling water to make it easier to fit.

I have six of these I use for barrel topping, works a treat.

* Install the tube so that it extends 95mm past the end of the KK spear. This will clear the bottom of the keg by a few mm.

Last edited:
i like the A type spears as you can easily cut off the security tab to make the spear easy it get in and out

for me i find using the A type coupler as a tool to tighten the spear in and out an easy method as i have not made a proper keg tool.... the coupler is on there when i let the gas out so i just twist the spear out at the same time...

Always check for pressure !!! Spear to the face / teeth would be nasty

but if you just pull the circlip do D's just screw in and out?
Do you need to put the Circlip back in everytime ?

Back