just started

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hydrometer+wine.png

Mate you are reading your hydrometer wrong.
Disregard the alcohol scale, it's not needed for what we do. ABV is calculated using your Original gravity (OG) inyour case 1.040 and the Final Gravity (FG) we'll say 1.010
There is a handy calculation in the excellent coopers instructions under the lid of the can. This is the only thing you should take notice of in those instructions. Also look at this site http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/ and use the calculator for your Alcohol % calculations.
Add maybe 0.2% for priming sugar (carb drops) and add just one per 750ml bottle.

i put in 1.040 and 1.021 in the calculator and got 2.48% alcohol tried 1040 1020 got 20000000% alcohol or 1.40 1.20 got like 200% or something but then

I think you bottled too early, you want 3 days of consistent SG readings before bottling. I'd say it will still be fermenting in the bottles, if they were glass they'd explode. So your lager, if it survives, will be more like 4.5%

OK the stout different then like 10 to 12 days in the fermenter. maybe i did not notice how explosive it was because the kit yest was off and did not bubble like the stout one then.maybe because it did not bubble it would of not worked proply anyway so i could of bottled it early then anyway.

the yest in the kit was like cheese smell not fruity like the stout and the stout bubbles.

it's still bubbling now from a day ago like it was the first time still.

the larger bubbled none not even once and i had checked it daily.

Can i smoke around the fermenter when testing time come i did last time and the fumes were unbearable i thought it might explode. i seen cooks how use alcohol for cooking a they tilt it in the flame and it all lights up and they toss the food around flaming. even standing a the back door i thought it might explode their was like a strong gas smell so i went out side to smoke instead.

like massive flame ball from the back of the house the the fermenter just ignites from the lighter instead.

kerrplease said:
Can i smoke around the fermenter when testing time come i did last time and the fumes were unbearable i thought it might explode. i seen cooks how use alcohol for cooking a they tilt it in the flame and it all lights up and they toss the food around flaming. even standing a the back door i thought it might explode their was like a strong gas smell so i went out side to smoke instead.
Whatcha smoking there Kerr?

Yasmani knew when to quit.

kerrplease said:
For **** sake man, don't ever have a fag anywhere near your fermenter. Fuckin' "BOOM" mate.Don't worry about it now , think yourself lucky and move on.

WarmerBeer said:
Just the right amount of pishab.
I hear ya. Much pishab but never too much pishab.

I still can't work out if this is a piss take or not :lol: :lol:

In any case a 2 or 3 % ABV solution is not gonna catch fire from a cigarette, and neither will the CO2 in the headspace. Why do you think they use it in fire extinguishers? :p :lol:

kerrplease said:
yar i sort of house work i went and bought the kit 113.00 dollars waited until it arrived cleaned the fermenter and stuff filled the fermenter with the ingredents cleaned the bottles went on the bus 9:00 am to some place but had to chatch the different one to the bus that arrived at the brews shop so i walk 1km until i found it at the end of where i was going and bought the stout that i sold my BMX helmet cain bike pump on gum tree for 50.00 dollars got the stout mix ingredents got on the wrong bus back but it was go sore of to my house but the cross seckon was the wrong way until the next stop so i watch the right way got passed until the next stop came up walked back to the right stop and back home 1:00pm.i had a half an hour before the cleaner arrived to clean but i did not miss then so i got a clean house though.
I just read this thread from start to finish.

For some reason this particular post resonated with me, I think it's fair to say; we've all found ourselves in this exact situation at least once in our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back