just started

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 45423

Reaction score
the u tube video said that i could maybe look at the clubs for home brew and join in if i was interested in home brew.

You're in the right place, mate. :beerbang:

Welcome, Kerrplease!

I know there are local brew clubs all over the country and no doubt you'd learn a lot from being in one.

I've never been in one myself as I tend to brew rather sporadically and my schedule is awful for that sort of thing. This board is, in my opinion, easily the best brew board anywhere though and there is absolutely no end to how much you can learn just by reading up on old threads, set guides and by asking questions here. When I first joined the board in 2006 I had been brewing for about a year and almost everything I know I've learnt first from reading a couple of books and then coming in here and finding that there's often more to it than some of the books say – and just as frequently that it may be a lot simpler than it seems in the books.

If I were to give you some start-up advice, it is to start simple. There's a lot of cool equipment out there and it's something you're likely to want as you progress, but to begin with, you can actually brew beer with very simple means; even really good beer.

When I started brewing back in 2005, I went with the motto: If Aunt Bessy was able, in 1620, to brew a decent ale in the corner of a thatched hut with straw on the floor and over an open fire, without the sanitation and materials we have available to us today, then surely I can brew a decent ale in a modern kitchen with modest equipment, too. I could, and it worked out very well.

I had a large pot (30 litres) for boiling and mashing, a large bucket with a false bottom (in my case, a large bucket inside another large bucket and a tap in the outer one) as well as a fermenter, some bottles, a thermometer and a hydrometer. I started with All Grain and despite what a some people say, that is perfectly doable.

I haven't done Brew in a Bag (BIAB), but I know a lot of people swear by it and as I understand it, it's a great way to start All Grain brewing – and is often the method people stick with.

The most important thing though; sanitation. Also, temperature control when fermenting. Both are a lot less daunting than they seem to begin with.

One day! until kit arrives brewers kit with everything i need for 30 bottles of beer.next the stout but i do not have a 20 litre cooking pot do you guys think it could be done with just a small boiling pot.then i can start with the photos and stuff so if you like to see what happerned with my brew just what and see in the next month of the kit arriving.

I all so stream game live on twitch maybe make a video of some of the brewing progress.game stream has no web cam found it childish and degrading . the stout is what i am here for the "stout" "anything stout"

small flat but it should do still for brewing in.

sunshine coast might help i 'am from QLD then maybe look up my local store i was looking for cooking pots and found none maybe use the name stoke pot then thank you very helpful

kerrplease said:
19 lt stoke pot on electric stove
If it's a proper electric stove, you should be fine. I used my 30 litre pot on an electric stove and was able to get a good rolling boil out of it. A small flat shouldn't be a hindrance to a good brew.

One suggestion though, especially in what I expect is probably a relatively small kitchen; clear any and all surfaces you can, as you'll likely find that you 'just want to put this somewhere' and somehow, even in a relatively large kitchen, I tend to run out of bench space if I haven't cleared it properly first. Likely, it won't matter too much, but it makes the whole process a lot less stressful if you don't have to worry about space.

As an aside, I always keep another pot of water near boiling on the stove - just an 8 litre pot or something like that, as it means I can easily clean/sanitise the tools as I go along.

Oh, and when you boil your wort, don't let it boil over. It's an absolute bitch to clean off the stovetop and floors. Whenever you're transferring any liquid, just have a bit of newspaper on the floor underneath – especially until you get used to it all.

Since you're starting with kits, you should be perfectly fine with the 19lt stock pot from Big W.

i still have the problem with the beer that the kit come with i might buy some more bottles for the stout to or just wait until i drink it all and buy bits and pieces like stock pot at different times.i should have some photos but today or tomorrow of the kit though.

wow foster larger and i did look up stock pots found the same one in the link above anyway their is a 7lt stock pot like 12.00 dollars from target not 19lt stock pot though .normally i only buy stuff if its at the local store maybe could just buy it from big w site but i do not know if they deliver this far away.the lady that had the kit said how was i going to pay for it now then but i had all ready paid pay pal i said that it had already paid she maybe was not to shore if i paid or not she must of been new to the pay pal thing but it gets delivered tomorrow morning.

photo gallery got the pics if anyone wants to see the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back