Just Received My Stir Plate - Excellent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All,

For anyone considering buying a stir plate I can highly recommend these:
http://www.brewershardware.com/Brewers-Har...ernational.html

I just got mine from the US, plugged in a 12v DC supply and away I went. It works perfectly. With our $ so strong I think it cost me $70 delivered to my door.

No affiliations or anything what so ever - Im just a happy customer.

Cheers.

There were a few people that brought through him last year, all of them seemed happy enough & I think he even ran out of parts cause they all jumped on it like mad men lol

I've been wondering for a while but didn't think it deserved a thread of its own.

A stir plate works well enough for your starters, what would be the result of using a stir plate with your whole batch do you (youse) think?

Could it increase attenuation?

Depending on which part of fermentation you used it in, you could oxidise the batch.

Wasn't there an Aussie guy making stir plates recently? - wonder how his ones are holding up.

Might be a good thing in the first 6 hours Dave70, going by what I'm reading about double dropping ATM. But, like manticle said, you'd need to be careful of oxidisation, interesting thought.

Wasn't there an Aussie guy making stir plates recently? - wonder how his ones are holding up.

http://www.digitalhomebrew.com/ - here's the guy from this forum who's been building them. They look pretty good but they've been out of stock for months. He said he's been really busy and also had some trouble sourcing parts so wasn't sure when he'd have more to sell.

I found a place in the US that made some pretty kick ass stir plates which i think i'll get next payckeck - http://towercooler.com/index.php?option=co...5&Itemid=80

Speed controlled computer fan = $10
Recycled 6-12V Power Supply + $2
Enclosure = $5
The satisfaction of knowing that no matter how inept you thought you may be, making your own computer-fan-driven stir-plate was too easy = Priceless

Enclosure = $5
The satisfaction of knowing that no matter how inept you thought you may be, making your own computer-fan-driven stir-plate was too easy = Priceless

until it dies like mine did :)

until it dies like mine did :)
Well there is that.
But there is virtually no difference to buying a "computer-fan-driven stir-plate" (like those linked in this thread) and one you make yourself.

If we were to compare a professional lab-grade piece of gear (some of which cost about the same amount as I've seen for computer-fan-driven ones), then its a completely different story.

You aren't including the building of a speed regulating circuit that provides a stable action for various sized flasks without throwing off the bar.
It can still be done at home with a handful of components and a variable pot, but it's not within everyone's expertise and interest to do so.

I know, but by using a factory built speed controlled fan any additional electronics is excessive and irrelevant for how most people will use such a device.

While that might be your experience, its not everyones. I have experienced first hand that testing of several fans and several voltages, against various liquid volumes, and the bar will get thrown. So if youre lucky enough to get the right fan and supply for your specific flask and volume, then great. But it's not the answer for everyone's starter requirements.

Edit: Wolfy, maybe I missed something. When you say a speed controlled fan, are you talking about a pre-built unit for $10 with a variable potentiometer ? Never seen such a thing (so it CANT exist :) ), but if that's the case, then brilliant. Where would people get one from ?

Enclosure = $5

All well and good provided you already have the rare earth magnets & stir bar.

Edit: Wolfy, maybe I missed something. When you say a speed controlled fan, are you talking about a pre-built unit for $10 with a variable potentiometer ? Never seen such a thing (so it CANT exist :) ), but if that's the case, then brilliant. Where would people get one from ?
This is the exact fan I use: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=4237
They've got it for $19 (their shop is in Melb), but yes it has the pot/speed controller built in, all you need to do is mount it and supply power.

I assumed that most any PC-shop had similar things now days, and a generic one without the LED would be cheaper.
All well and good provided you already have the rare earth magnets & stir bar.
Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic and forgot the magnets, so add $2.50 (inc delivery) from Deal Extreme.

None of the products linked above (that I saw) included the stir-bar for that price, but it is something that is a little more expensive and harder to find.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic and forgot the magnets, so add $2.50 (inc delivery) from Deal Extreme.

None of the products linked above (that I saw) included the stir-bar for that price, but it is something that is a little more expensive and harder to find.

I bought my stirplate from the link in the OP and it came with two stir bars. ;)

This is the same stir plate as SP1 but for international customers it includes a second stir bar in place of the power supply. You will need to provide a power supply that delivers 9-12VDC at around 200mA current and has a 2.1mm ID X 5.5mm OD center positive coax power plug.

- I found a power supply for $2 @ vinnies.

Getting back to the OP, how do the brewershardware stirplates handle a 5L flask?

Most of the ones i've seen for sale online look like a 5L flask would be a little precarious due to the small boxes they use. Can anyone report on this one way or the other?

While that might be your experience, its not everyones. I have experienced first hand that testing of several fans and several voltages, against various liquid volumes, and the bar will get thrown. So if youre lucky enough to get the right fan and supply for your specific flask and volume, then great. But it's not the answer for everyone's starter requirements.

This is why I outsourced the crap to someone else. Seriously for $70 this thing looks bloody well made and works just perfectly. The case is also very easy to get open. Should the fan ever die it will be very easy to replace.

Hi All,
I have received my stir plate. I cant get the magnet to stay in the middle of this;
dama.jpg

or this;
140.jpg

due to them being concave bottoms (I assume). Has anyone been able to do this? Do I need a different stir bar or do I need to go the flat bottom flask?

You need a flat bottom or it will keep throwing the stir bar.

Back