Just Finished Off New Chestie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
Just finished off my new ferment chesty, hope it serves me well

do people insulate the probe against the FV or leave it hanging? I'm scared if i insulate against the FV it may get too cold in there...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I use a BeerBelly Fermenter Thermowells to actually have the probe *in* the wort. I also use a heat belt.

Anyway, if I'm not using a Thermowell, then I insulate the probe.

I've never used a freezer though.

I just use styrofoam with a bit dug out so the probe sits tight into the foam and tape it to the fermenter. I only use a fridge but one of my fridges gets down to -2deg

Better insulation in a freezer I also have the comp on a 10min delay so I have no fear about that I'm just scared that if im searching for a 18C ferment, if I have the probe against the FV it may get down alot further on the outside before the middle of the FV reaches temp

Better insulation in a freezer I also have the comp on a 10min delay so I have no fear about that I'm just scared that if im searching for a 18C ferment, if I have the probe against the FV it may get down alot further on the outside before the middle of the FV reaches temp
Same as kelby for me, it will want to cycle more if heating/cooling the ambient air as the thermal mass will change faster than the wort will. Well that my observation of how it goes aanyway.

It doesn't really matter where the probe is put, or how it is mounted, taped, attached to etc....

What matters is the temp of your wort. Just get to know your rig and you'll be sweet.

At the end of the day, i don't care if my temp probe is showing 10 degrees and i'm aiming for 18.....If the beer is 18, who cares what the temp says it is, as long as it consistent from one batch to the next.

I have got in the habit of testing the temp of my gravity samples to see if i'm on the money or not. Yes, to all the purists out there, i'm sure it will raise the temp quickly by pouring a smallish sample, and putting it on my bench while i read the thermometer. But if you do a water run first, and use a large sample to check the differential between the temp sensor and the actual temp of the sample, you'll get it close to what you are aiming for. Then just use that temp sensor's temp readout as your ferment temp, knowing it may very well be fermenting at a different (but desired) temp inside the FV.

I have mine to the side of my FV. imo you want it to read the temp of your brew, and adjust that temp accordingly, not the ambient temps of the space around the FV. You only need to lift the lid and the temp will change otherwise and by doing so it may be cooling down or heating up when your FV doesn't need it.

maybe i should calibrate with a fermenter full of water before my next brew to make sure its on the money

I have mine to the side of my FV. imo you want it to read the temp of your brew, and adjust that temp accordingly, not the ambient temps of the space around the FV. You only need to lift the lid and the temp will change otherwise and by doing so it may be cooling down or heating up when your FV doesn't need it.

true, but the thermal mass of a batch of beer ain't gonna change just 'cause you lift the lid on a chest freezer.

maybe i should calibrate with a fermenter full of water before my next brew to make sure its on the money

Yep, i would / did.

Only takes a few days to get an idea of how she performs and then your set.

I have got in the habit of testing the temp of my gravity samples to see if i'm on the money or not. Yes, to all the purists out there, i'm sure it will raise the temp quickly by pouring a smallish sample, and putting it on my bench while i read the thermometer.

Not that quickly unless the wort is hot and the environment is cold (or the environment is hot and the wort is cold). The closer they are, the slower the exchange. That's why chilling wort from 80-35 happens pretty quick smart but it takes twice as long again to get to 22.

Not quickly enough for a hydrometer sample tube containing your thermometer in waiting to give you a massively skewed reading.

Exactly how I take my temp readings. I'd much rather rely on that than what I hope a tempmate gives or what a stick-on thermometer says.

I tape my probe to the FV. Fridge plugged into one outlet, heat pad the other on the stc-1000. Once the door is closed it settles fairly quickly and does not cycle as much.
I asked a similar question a month ago. I have excellent temp control taped to the side of the FV.
If you do not have a heating option wired in you may want to look into it. ( I could not see one). I magine a chesty would crank down the temp fairly quickly once it fired up.

Styrofoam (or any other free) insulation, taped to FV. Have ferment fridge and ferment chest freezer and works well in both.

I place the probe in a 1 litre container filled with water. This cuts out some of the temperature fluctuations when you open the door to take a peek had it been suspended in air.

Have also increased the temperature differential to 5C (default was 2C) to ease the strain on the compressor - I am sure this has led to my fridge no longer getting below 8C. I do not think the Tempmate I have from Craftbrewer allows me to adjust the compressor delay which only works after power failure in any case.

Of interest I have found that the wort settles at the temp setpoint plus the differential (ie: setpoint at 16C, differential at 5C = wort at 21C).

I'm a fridge mechanic, so I just used a carel easy controller (cooling/heating only) coz I had it in the van :p

Calibrating should be easy enough, Crash chilling the fermenter tomorrow if my hydro reading is still the same

Taking a hydro reading's temp is easy. Leave it in the tube for 10-15 mins. It comes to room temp. Easy. I read the ambient off my smiggle cube clock (it was a gift!), which is quite accurate to my knowledge.

I'm a fridge mechanic, so I just used a carel easy controller (cooling/heating only) coz I had it in the van :p

Calibrating should be easy enough, Crash chilling the fermenter tomorrow if my hydro reading is still the same

Hey mat89,
I'm a a/c tech, been years since my fridgy days, I set up a second hand carel on the ferm fridge, I set the cooling PB at 0.5 degree. I would like to use a heating output as well , the carel I have is only 3 terminals , 1 common 1 x normally open and 1. Normally closed. Therefore I am unable to have a Dead zone where nothing happens around the set point. With the carel I have at the moment it is either cooling or heating. Do you know if there is a model that has 2 x relays so I can have 1/2 degree dead band
Cheers

Hey mat89,
I'm a a/c tech, been years since my fridgy days, I set up a second hand carel on the ferm fridge, I set the cooling PB at 0.5 degree. I would like to use a heating output as well , the carel I have is only 3 terminals , 1 common 1 x normally open and 1. Normally closed. Therefore I am unable to have a Dead zone where nothing happens around the set point. With the carel I have at the moment it is either cooling or heating. Do you know if there is a model that has 2 x relays so I can have 1/2 degree dead band
Cheers
Nah I don't sorry mate, ur best bet would be to use the stc-1000 like most the blokes on this site do
With a .5 DB make sure your not stressing the compressor with at least a 10min comp delay

Latest posts

Back