July 2008 "beer Free" Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

July 2008 "beer Free" Challenge

• Yes - I will give it a go

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I am not intersted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
OK, In 5 years I have never had more than a day or two off the beer. So I propose that the month of July as many of us as possible go off the beer and we record our experience here for all to see. We will use this forum to support each other.
I am going to give it a go anyway.

Steve

I would take it slow... like weening a smoker off cigarettes.

I would say "July 2008, 1 or 2 AFDs per week, August 2008, 3 AFDs per week, then first week of september alcohol free".

WTF.......you bumped your head again Steve.

I have 4 days off the grog every week and had a liver test last week which came back with flying colors, but good luck in your quest

Rook

Go for it, Steve.

I had February off (inspired by PoMo's efforts) and felt better for it (at least by mid-March ;) ). Good to have a break of routine more than anything else IMO.

Easy for me, had two months off already. Cider, wine and spirits are a different story all together... ;)

I've put on 7 kgs since joining the forum, so a month off would be excellent.

grant

^ tried exercise? wait that would constitute strenuous movement, scrap that idea.

sorry steve, i wish you the best if its what you want, but i end up with enough afds each month without giving up for a whole month. 31 days?? man thats just scarry.
wish i had a support group to go off chocolate and cakes and the like :(
joe

Bugger! I thought I read "free beer" not beer free :D

+1 for weight gain since I started brewing.

+10Kgs actually... :(

Go for it lads, as with other sport, I will be over here cheering you on from the sideline!

WTF.......you bumped your head again Steve.
:lol: :lol:
I tend to do things in a big way when I do em. I think this will be easier (for me) than doing and AFD a week. Also I will put a soda water and a Ginger Beer on tap in place of the beer. But keep 2 taps of beer on for visitors. I bought 4 750ml bottles of that Bunderburg Ginger beer cordial and it tastes great with soda water so I will mix that up in a keg. I will never brew GB again. $3.99 per bottle of the styrup.

Steve

Crazy talk.

+1 person who read the title as 'free beer'.

No drinking means no brewing, and I personally couldn't live without either. Good luck to anyone who gives it a go though.

Steve - sounds like a good idea. I need to re-plenish supplies etc and havn't had a decent stab at not drinking for a while. Also gave up smoking yesterday, so it all goes well together....

Cheers - MIke

OK, In 5 years I have never had more than a day or two off the beer. So I propose that the month of July as many of us as possible go off the beer and we record our experience here for all to see. We will use this forum to support each other.
I am going to give it a go anyway.

Steve

How come there's no "you've got to be kidding" option?

Yeah my gut's getting bigger, so I'm gonna give it a go.... expect me to fall by the wayside within 3 days, though. ;)
The HBG pizza nights will be my start/finish dates (that makes it just over a month).

Question, does tasting the hydrometer tube count? Might have to call someone over to "help".

It'd make the QLD July Case-Swap interesting.
"More tea vicar Incider?"
"Cucumber sandwichs with the orange cordial, Ross?"
:lol:

:eek: Too scary to even contemplate.

Steve I see your idea is getting hammered in your straw poll too.

That being said I've modified my habits from just 1 AFD per week (Monday) to including Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.

So 4 AFDs per week is at least a step in the right direction. :D

Warren -

No drinking means no brewing, and I personally couldn't live without either. Good luck to anyone who gives it a go though.
No way, I will be brewing like crazy. It will be a chance to properly condition up some lagers.

Steve I see your idea is getting hammered in your straw poll too.

Thats 7 more blokes than I thought would put their hand up!

Back