James Squire Porter.. Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nottingham at 14 degrees you reckon? I've found this can produce sulphur odours.
I might try it with 2206 or I wonder how 2124 or 3068 would go?
2124 - 'Also used for pseudo-ale production with fermentations at 75F, (24C) which eliminates sulfur production.'

Love the JS porter. Still have a clone on my list to do after a chat with Screwy a while back. It's my 2010 resolution Screwy! It will happen!

If you use the notto try using it well below 20 degrees. Done a few stouts at 20-22 with Danstar Nottingham and it throws off a fruit ester (quite pleasant) a bit like a coopers.

Not sure about 14 as haven't tried this but 18 degrees will get you something good with less fruit coming through I'd suspect.

Here in Melbourne the James Squire Brewhouse which is based at Docklands and Portland Hotel Russell St City use only US-05. They used to use S-04 but found it a little unstable at times. Heard this from the head brewer there.

Of course, the Bottled James Squire would use their house strain of yeast and I don't think is packaged up in Vic, (more like NSW) so can't really help there, but for any Melbournites that like what they taste on tap at either of these venues, that's what you're drinking.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back