James Squire Dark Side cherry stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedy

Reaction score
Had this on tap at the James Squire Brewhouse in Brisbane last year & really enjoyed it.

Described as 'elegant full-bodied stout, strong roast & chocolate notes with a dark-cherry heart'

Ideally looking to brew something along these lines, the malt bill was listed as:
- pale
- dark crystal
- chocolate malt
- roast wheat

Bittered with super pride with an ABV of 6.8%.

Just looking for advice/thoughts on the amount of grains & hops (assuming only a 60min addition) for a 23L batch.

If you have a tried & tested cherry stout recipe, I'd be keen to see that too.

Cheers.

I've never brewed one, but there a bunch of threads of people either looking to do the same thing or similar..

Search feature is your friend. :beer:

I've had a look at a number of the threads on AHB for cherry stouts, however I'm looking to replicate the JS Dark Side using the malt bill described & haven't been able to find anything along these lines so far.

Really just looking for an idea/suggestion of the percentages of each grain in the bill outlined.

Haven't tried the beer but I would think that
85% pale
5% crystal
5% choc
5% midnight wheat

Would be a good starting point.

Racking onto 1 kg of fresh cherries for a few weeks will impart a decent cherry flavour but you need to factor in what it will add to your abv.

Out if curiosity how would you work at what ABV it would add?

I've never tried a cherry stout but I like cherries and I like stout!

4 pines main brewery is a stones throw from me, next time I'm there I can ask them. They're pretty relaxed.

Latest posts

Back