James Squire - New Labeling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer labels are supposed to be round or oval, these ones look like they are BBQ marinade bottles.

marinade_bottle.jpeg

Jack of Spades porter? what is next XXX Bitter?

Cheers SJ

those beers have gone downhill so much over the past few years..

Golden Ale - Where is the amarillo?
Amber - where is the nuttiness you used to get?

The IPA (although not true to style I dont think) is still a passable beer...

I much prefer the names to be just Pilsener, Golden Ale, IPA..... seems TOO gimmick-y to me..

Like the labels but the names are just lame. Although chancer is appropriate for the golden ale as there's a chance it might be ok.

Wonder if the women's rights groups will be onto the four wives.

those beers have gone downhill so much over the past few years..

Golden Ale - Where is the amarillo?
Amber - where is the nuttiness you used to get?

The IPA (although not true to style I dont think) is still a passable beer...

I much prefer the names to be just Pilsener, Golden Ale, IPA..... seems TOO gimmick-y to me..

Ive noticed this as well. Golden Ale used to be one of my all time favourites on tap. I had it recently and alsmot struggled to drink it.
I mean it was still a passable beer, but nothing like it used to be.

Next thing you know they'll be changing all the beer names to zazzy, zingy supercool hipster names like, Big Boobed Bier and Fat Elephant Rind Stout.

Only JS beer I really enjoy now is the porter, I wish they'd bring back the old recipes. The JS beers are one of the reasons I became so interested in beer

Wonder if it is some kind of an April 1st joke gone wrong or they used the wrong Ad agency.

The only JS beer worth a drink is the IPA IMO It is the only one I buy a case of the rest are pretty tasteless.

I agree with the BBQ sauce look-a-like comment.
The old labels were fine, if it's not broken: don't fix it.

Yeah the IPA is bloody good to

I agree with the BBQ sauce look-a-like comment.
The old labels were fine, if it's not broken: don't fix it.
I'm not sure at what point in time James Squire beer was considered to be much better than it is now but I have to thank them for introducing me to a better quality of beer a few years ago. Was that when it was better?

Anyway, I haven't had it for nearly a year now though so I'm not in any place to say if it has gone downhill or not.

I suppose they've gone for bigger bolder text and names to stand out on the shelf and in some bloke at a BBQ's hand. I liked their old labels better.

same old story. if sales are slowing down create a new label and run a snazzy new ad campaign. money would have been much better spent improving the beer imo.

Wonder if it is some kind of an April 1st joke gone wrong or they used the wrong Ad agency.

The only JS beer worth a drink is the IPA IMO It is the only one I buy a case of the rest are pretty tasteless.
Stout Noir,Two Centurions,Malt Runner,Rum Rebellion Porter,Pepperberry Winter Ale,Hop Thief Ale,Aussie Strong Ale,Colonial Wheat (the original one),all feckin great beers by any standard :beer: Bugger the labels,judge it on whats in the glass :chug:

Stout Noir,Two Centurions,Malt Runner,Rum Rebellion Porter,Pepperberry Winter Ale,Hop Thief Ale,Aussie Strong Ale,Colonial Wheat (the original one),all feckin great beers by any standard :beer: Bugger the labels,judge it on whats in the glass :chug:

Unfortunately none of those beers you mention are bottled or regularly bottled.
I think the labels are ok but do we really need the beer nickname in such large text. I would prefer if it said Porter, Amber Ale etc in the large text. Oh well I no longer drink the regular range of JS beers.

Nice way to differentiate from other brands. As long as the beer stands up, I don't really mind.

Murray's, Bridge Rd and Rocks Brewing, to pluck three craft brewers, all name their beers. Why not James Squire? I still rate the Stow Away, Jack of Spades and Nine Tales. Haven't had the Four Wives in a while, but used to enjoy it too.

Beer labels are supposed to be round or oval

I don't know about 'supposed to be', Michael. This one's the duck's nuts for vintage styling:

Beer_116_Baltimore_FredBauernschmidtsAmericanBreweryBeer_Label.jpg

For the Squire range, it just goes to show what greenhorn corporate marketing spastics come up with when they are so far separated from the product, but go with industry buzz concepts. That labelling range probably got someone a performance bonus.

yeah gotta get me brewin some more Baltimore Blonde and get me back down to meet my homies there at the Qs bar :icon_chickcheers:

baltimore_liquor_store.JPG

Back