James Squire - New Labeling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me or is the Golden Ale not as Amarillo-esque anymore?

Could just be my tastebuds are shot from all the IIPA's i've been drinking lately. ;)

God some one got paid a zillion dollars to do that ? Better get me crayons out, time for a change of occupation.
GB

Well if you can do better give us a call as I have plenty of work for you....

Excellent rebadge IMHO :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

I completely forgot about the Winter Pepperberry Ale. That beer is badass. Couldn't find it last year though... was it a limited release? I was hoping it was seasonal.

Well if you can do better give us a call as I have plenty of work for you....

Excellent rebadge IMHO :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

There's some hidden talent in the labels thread if you scour through it, Ross. I think you could find a community member that could nail a brand concept for you.
Competition? $1000 voucher wouldn't be a big outlay, and the cross-marketing would be invaluable.

I would need a $150 'ideas man' fee if it went ahead, of course :)

Really? You think beers need a 'handle' name?

No, but some of the best beers out there do - Murray's Punk Monk for instance.
At the end of the day it's personal preference, but I reckon they are a big improvement on the old label & far cheaper to rebadge than come up with new beers.
Like others though, I'd like to see a bit more effort into getting the beer back to it's former quality.

Cheers Ross

There's some hidden talent in the labels thread if you scour through it, Ross. I think you could find a community member that could nail a brand concept for you.
Competition? $1000 voucher wouldn't be a big outlay, and the cross-marketing would be invaluable.

I would need a $150 'ideas man' fee if it went ahead, of course :)

Been there done that & still nowhere nearer a result..... (though got a great FWK label from Franko)
Competitions really need a winner & i'm a fussy bugger, so not keen on that avenue - but people have my email address if they're interested.

cheers Ross

Looks like they're getting ready to sell in Aldi.

These are a bee's dick away from comic sans to me. Stupid, clownish bright colors. Horrible re-brand.

Not that they're trying to get my money, I suppose.

No, but some of the best beers out there do - Murray's Punk Monk for instance.
At the end of the day it's personal preference, but I reckon they are a big improvement on the old label & far cheaper to rebadge than come up with new beers.
Like others though, I'd like to see a bit more effort into getting the beer back to it's former quality.

Cheers Ross

Further thought - arrogant ******* has done Ok I guess :ph34r: ... but IMO if I released a great beer I would be looking for it to build the name for the brewery's sake rather than the 'beer name' but yeah, can see both side of the coin quite easily, from a marketing point of view. Look at Williams PA, they have a great Pils and push their PA, which is shit so achieve nothing.

Lets be honest their old label was a little shit and their new is mildly better but still a little shit - If they are going with a re-launch its the one time they could step up to 'modern' times but it seems they haven't, again, IMO.

Marketing is critical to all business' and most marketing firms will sell themselves into the gig over their own faith in the outcome, after all that when they get paid. Incorrect choice IMO.

And yes, Where TF is the amarillo gone?

2c.

I'm no marketing guru, but I get around this and other craft beer sites a bit as well as meeting my fair share of other craft beer appreciators across this country. I have noticed that a lot of home brewers/craft brewers tend to name their beers... I do it myself; I don't say 'schooey's hefe' or 'brass knuckle hefe'... I call it Shazzam Hefe.... Bitchslap IIPA, 8 Ball Stout, Choklat Soldya porter ...blah blah blah

It's part of an idetifier with the market you are pitching to, I guess. You give a bad arse beer a bad arse name. A controversial type beer has a controversial name. I see the Murray's beers mentioned here previously and they are a perfect example. I hardly hear anyone say Murray's American Wheat; they always say Murray's Whale... same for the Icon, P&J, punked Monk et al..

We, as our unique little group of craft beer afficianados and craft beer/homebrew producers (depending which terminology you prefer), are a fickle bunch to please, but are a piss in the ocean of the beer consuming market. Sometimes things we don't appreciate or totally agree with may hit the nail on the head with the masses, but make us turn our noses up... at the end of the day, regardless of what 0.0004% of your target market think, you need to market at your audience of best return.

My thoughts; I reckon the labels may be a bit clumsy looking, but the tagline of each title will stick in the heads and become a little 'trendier' to the audience they are pitching at.

On a side note, I had some JS Amber off tap at the Novotel at Homebush last week and noticed a significant malty-nuttiness that I thought had been lost a little while ago, tho I haven't tried it in the bottle lately. I really enjoyed it and recall at the time thinking I would seek it out again

We, as our unique little group of craft beer afficianados and craft beer/homebrew producers (depending which terminology you prefer), are a fickle bunch to please, but are a piss in the ocean of the beer consuming market. Sometimes things we don't appreciate or totally agree with may hit the nail on the head with the masses, but make us turn our noses up... at the end of the day, regardless of what 0.0004% of your target market think, you need to market at your audience of best return.

Well stated. I thought the same thing when seeing the JS relabelling, and though that it's not really aimed for guys like 'us' who are probably the biggest ******* beer snobs in the country. Why market to blokes that will grab a 6-pack, love it, then go home and formulate a recipe to recreate it (with tweaks) for $15 a carton :)

I call it Shazzam Hefe....

Hands off that one - NSW Brewers Guild has dibs on that one. A small beer of 10.5% alc and 100 IBU's!

Wheres Shallow throat Brewing when you need it for marketing excellence.

Scotty

those big letters will help me avoid a brand that i no longer drink.

I'm no marketing guru, but I get around this and other craft beer sites a bit as well as meeting my fair share of other craft beer appreciators across this country. I have noticed that a lot of home brewers/craft brewers tend to name their beers... I do it myself; I don't say 'schooey's hefe' or 'brass knuckle hefe'... I call it Shazzam Hefe.... Bitchslap IIPA, 8 Ball Stout, Choklat Soldya porter ...blah blah blah

It's part of an idetifier with the market you are pitching to, I guess. You give a bad arse beer a bad arse name. A controversial type beer has a controversial name. I see the Murray's beers mentioned here previously and they are a perfect example. I hardly hear anyone say Murray's American Wheat; they always say Murray's Whale... same for the Icon, P&J, punked Monk et al..

My thoughts; I reckon the labels may be a bit clumsy looking, but the tagline of each title will stick in the heads and become a little 'trendier' to the audience they are pitching at.

On a side note, I had some JS Amber off tap at the Novotel at Homebush last week and noticed a significant malty-nuttiness that I thought had been lost a little while ago, tho I haven't tried it in the bottle lately. I really enjoyed it and recall at the time thinking I would seek it out again

Re assessed and further thought - Agreed.

As sad as it is we are so simple.

:icon_cheers:

Shazzam - beat Ya!

In a 600l brew i think there was 6kg of whirlpool hops ... it was nuts!

Scotty

:lol:

Well I happily hang my head and surrender... looks like I'll have to make a new label. After reading that, I'm more disappointed I didn't get the chance to taste the 'first' Shazzam...:p

:lol:

Well I happily hang my head and surrender... looks like I'll have to make a new label. After reading that, I'm more disappointed I didn't get the chance to taste the 'first' Shazzam...:p

I'm sure we can do a non-exclusive $0 licensing deal. It took no prisoners that beer ... happy brewing

Scotty

Back