It Is Safe To Use Dry Yeast When...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The warm weather has suddenly kicked in here in SEQ and I have been caught out with an oversupply of Carapils, Perle plugs, Saaz NZ flowers, and some Tettnang pellets. I have no facilities to cold ferment (my brewery fridge snugly fits a 25L but just for cold conditioning for a week whilst doing a Polyclar hit).

So I've decided to do what someone is doing in another thread and do a 'fake Pilsener'.

Currently mashing in the esky is 2kg + 300g Carapils and I'm boiling up a Canadian tin plus a kilo of LDME. (I've found that a Canadian is a great filler because it's extremely blonde and doesn't taste of much :D ). And in will go the Perle plugs for extra bittering, Tettnang at about 40 mins and Saaz at 55 mins, should clear half the oversupply.

Now the yeast. I've got Nottingham, W - 34/70, and also ..... (we'll come to that :p )

It's got to ferment out at around 20 degrees, so I reckon the W-34/70 is asking for trouble and equally the Nottingham might chuck aley flavours that I don't want.

So on this occasion as an experiment I've decided to use the Morgans yeast from the Canadian kit. The way I look at it, I'm not ready for an order from CraftBrewer for a week or so otherwise I'd get that Swiss Ale yeast recommended, and I'm hoping that the kit yeast will be as flexible and forgiving as often touted on the forum !!!

I'll bump in a month or so and report.

I'll just be doing ales from now on and will definitely try the liquids, especially the West Yorkshire Wyeast coming up. So far I have only used Nottingham (greased lightning) and s04 and no complaints.

Correct pitch at 18, and fermented at that temperature, will give a very different result to one that was slightly underpitched at 17C and then racked at 16hours and raised to 21C for the ferment.

And how do you know that, exactly? ;)

I wanted to really push the ester profile and promote diacetyl as well, so I underpitched cool to stress the yeast, then cranked the heat up. Straight drop from tap of fermenter 1 into fermenter 2 with no racking tube at 16 hours to deliberately re-oxygenate the wort.(flame suit on, but it was an experiment.)
The grain bills, the mash, and the hopping were the same, it was only how I treated it post boil that was different. :lol:

The warm weather has suddenly kicked in here in SEQ and I have been caught out with an oversupply of Carapils, Perle plugs, Saaz NZ flowers, and some Tettnang pellets. I have no facilities to cold ferment (my brewery fridge snugly fits a 25L but just for cold conditioning for a week whilst doing a Polyclar hit).

So I've decided to do what someone is doing in another thread and do a 'fake Pilsener'.

Currently mashing in the esky is 2kg + 300g Carapils and I'm boiling up a Canadian tin plus a kilo of LDME. (I've found that a Canadian is a great filler because it's extremely blonde and doesn't taste of much :D ). And in will go the Perle plugs for extra bittering, Tettnang at about 40 mins and Saaz at 55 mins, should clear half the oversupply.

Now the yeast. I've got Nottingham, W - 34/70, and also ..... (we'll come to that :p )

It's got to ferment out at around 20 degrees, so I reckon the W-34/70 is asking for trouble and equally the Nottingham might chuck aley flavours that I don't want.

So on this occasion as an experiment I've decided to use the Morgans yeast from the Canadian kit. The way I look at it, I'm not ready for an order from CraftBrewer for a week or so otherwise I'd get that Swiss Ale yeast recommended, and I'm hoping that the kit yeast will be as flexible and forgiving as often touted on the forum !!!

I'll bump in a month or so and report.

I'll just be doing ales from now on and will definitely try the liquids, especially the West Yorkshire Wyeast coming up. So far I have only used Nottingham (greased lightning) and s04 and no complaints.

I would be using the Nottingham over yeast from the lid of a kit any day. She'll be right at 20. Agree - definately dont use W34/70.
Cheers
Steve

I would be using the Nottingham over yeast from the lid of a kit any day. She'll be right at 20. Agree - definately dont use W34/70.
Cheers
Steve

I've got a few hours to make the decision... I suppose the way to look at it is that I've already spent over thirty bucks on the brew so it's safer to put it in the hands of the tried and trusted rather than take a punt on the kit yeast.
If it turns out too fruity I can always use it for black and tans :lol:

If it turns out too fruity I can always use it for black and tans :lol:

Great minds think alike! :lol: My 'experimental' mini batches (from when I did 6 2L batches with plain dme, a fairly neutral yeast, and a different hop for each and nothing else) end up as 'black and tan' fillers. I originally planned to just ditch them after tasting, but I'm way too much of a cheap ******* for that. Theres not a lot that half a glass of stout can't cover up!

Currently I'm drinking a BB with Nottingham (cos I got a free one - thanks Wayne ;) ) that was brewed at 21C, and whilst it has a bit of fruit, its not much to speak of.

Not sure how you can get any fruit character out of Nott. Like you, ive tried the low 20s to force it to produce esters but it seems to ferment clean altho it does strip some of the hop character.

Its only saving grace IMO is its floccing ability - shit to a blanket. means i can get a beer from grain to brain quicker for the unwashed.

Yeah, it's bugger all. I think that its more to do with this one being a reall careless effort (which is unusual for me) rather than any positive quality of the yeast...I actually think I got the hump with it cos it was late, and pitched it >25C.
It's not bad, but its too neutral for my liking.

....I did 6 2L batches with plain dme, a fairly neutral yeast, and a different hop for each and nothing else ....

What on earth did you ferment them in? I thought that 3L coke bottles had been discontinued!
Smurto, In my short experience I agree with you about Nott, it's like the yeast equivalent of a Rottweiler - fermentables, skitch e'm boy :p

What on earth did you ferment them in? I thought that 3L coke bottles had been discontinued!

Actually, they were more like 1.75L each. Done in 2.25L LA Ice bottles, with baloons on top. Got 3x grolsche bottles from each.

It's horses for courses isn't it?!
Nott. appears not (excuse pun) to give many esters but that doesn't make it a bad yeast, just not appropriate at times.
I've just used Nott. for the first time in a altbier and it suits the style fine. Nice and dry and no chance this alt was going to end up too sweet. Complements the style very well, the big malt with the dry finish and almost peppery spalt hops works well.
It's the first dry yeast I've used in ages and I'm happy. actually tempted to see how lager..ish it's qualities go by using it in a steam / cal common like drink for the summer.
I reckon I've seen it recommended by Palmer for an American Brown too.
Nott much experience with it but Nott will be fine for the right style beer B)

Muntons Gold yeast I've used a few times on English bitters and a stout. All attenated well and turned out nice. They came out maybe a little cleaner than some people like their englsh style bitters, but still would fit the style and went down easy.

If your sticking with dry's for a while, it's definately worth a go.

Dave.

Personally i only use fermentis, dont know why there just seems to be a strain for every beer i want to make, heres my own personal take on things (fermentis) :

Is K-97 not Fermentis? I've used it several times with pleasing results.

And I recommend giving T-58 a shot. I've had several very nice brews with a wheat kit + stuff with T-58.

T.

Hi,

anybody here who has used the Safale T-58? It seems to be a very interesting yeast for a Belgian Abbay type beer.

And how about the S-33, any comments on that one?

Greets

Michael

I have a shelf full of beer, some of it is brewed with the kit yeast and others are brewed with fermentis yeasts. The beers with the kit yeasts seem to sit on the shelf for a lot longer or are just used for swillng sesions. Once all the kit yeast brews are gone I dont think im gonna use the kit yeast again again.

the other day I bought a 3kg ESB APA and the HB shop guy gave me some safale S-04 im not sure if its to style but ill give it a crack.

Hi,

anybody here who has used the Safale T-58? It seems to be a very interesting yeast for a Belgian Abbay type beer.

And how about the S-33, any comments on that one?

Greets

Michael
I've used and know a few people who've made belgians with the t58. It works quite well. I am normally a big advocate for dry yeast but in this case I will say that it isn't quite as good as a nice belgian liquid, but it makes a very nice beer.
It is a great yeast for spiced beers.

The s33 is a strange one. I know it is supposed to be good for tripels and other belgians, but I've read heaps that suggests this isn't the case. It appears to be more a good ale yeast.
Having said that, I used it once in a dubbel when I accidentally washed away the yeast cake I was planning to use and the beer recently did quite well in a comp so go figure. The beer certainly had belgian character.

I would like to challenge all doubters of fermentis yeasts (so4 and us05) to go to the Wig and Pen in Canberra and then say they don't like them.

I would like to challenge all doubters of fermentis yeasts (so4 and us05) to go to the Wig and Pen in Canberra and then say they don't like them.

Rich uses plenty of dried yeasts. The Kiandra Pils is now using the S-189 after a long run with the Kolsch yeast. 189 is a great yeast - clean at any ferment and conditioning temps. I only brew lagers and I've used dried yeasts for years, and have used liquid lager yeasts like Budvar but still go back to the S-189. A no brain yeast which makes lager brewing easy.

Others I've used are Nottingham which is my fav for English Ales, US-05 is great clean yeast for APA's and any ales which require more attenuation, 34-70 is an great lager yeast (Not as clean as the 189) as long as you give it more time to condition. cheers

Haven't delved into the liquid yeast realm yet, simply because there are so many variables to play with just in terms of recipe, mash temp, and fermentation temp, that I wanted to keep things simple®. Have mostly used CB premium ale yeast -- which is S04 I think. Did use the CB regular ale yeast a bit -- US05 I think. Happy with both, but S04 flocs a bit cleaner I think.

Used Windsor once and didn't do much for me. Have also used Nottingham a couple of times. Have a Chocolate Chilli Porter about ready to keg now. This is my second attempt at this recipe. The second one didn't ferment out very well. I kegged it at about 1020. Probably should have repitched or given it a stir (did rock it a bit, but she was done). That was with the the S04, pitching on top of the cake from a previous batch. The batch that is now ready to keg is the same recipe, but with Nottingham. It pulled it down to 1010 very quickly. The first batch was a bit like cough syrup -- beautiful taste, but the sweet knocked you out. A sample of the latest from the tap is beautiful. So, definitely a role for the Nottingham if you want more attenuation of a sweeter brew.

Looking forward to a liquid yeast foray now that Ross has stock in. Will definitely be an Anchor Steam. Have been following TrevC's post...

Back