It Is Safe To Use Dry Yeast When...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
For some strange reason, I havent used dried yeast since I was doing kit beers.
I now associate some of the flavours in kits I did not like with dried yeasts, but I understand many dried yeasts are quite good!
What styles of ales work well with dried yeasts and which strain, and which types of beers should never be attempted with a dried yeast?

quick google hit me back with johhny palmers guide :

Here is an incomplete list of dry yeast strains and their characteristics:

Cooper's Ale (Cooper's)
All-purpose dry ale yeast. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures. More heat tolerant than other strains, 65-75F; recommended for summer brewing. Medium attenuation and flocculation.

Edme Ale (Edme Ltd.)
One of the original dry yeast strains, this produces a soft, bready finish. Medium flocculation and medium-high attenuation. Fermentation range of 62-70F.

London Ale (Lallemand)
Moderate fruitiness suitable for all pale ale styles. Medium-high attenuation and flocculation. Fermentation range of 64-70F.

Nottingham Ale (Lallemand)
A more neutral ale yeast with lower levels of esters and a crisp, malty finish. Can be used for lager-type beers at low temperatures. High attenuation and medium-high flocculation. Fermentation range of 57-70F.

Munton and Fison Ale (Munton and Fison)
An all purpose ale yeast selected for a long shelf life. A vigorous starter, with neutral flavors. Medium attenuation and high flocculation. Fermentation range of 64-70F.

Windsor Ale (Lallemand)
Produces a full bodied, fruity English ale, but suitable for wheat beers also, including hefe-weizen. Attenuation and flocculation are medium-low. Fermentation range of 64-70F.

Whitbread Ale (Yeast Lab)
An excellent pale ale yeast with a smooth crisp flavor and fruity aroma. Medium attenuation and high flocculation. Fermentation range of 65-70F.

Safale S-04 (DCL Yeast)
A well-known commercial English ale yeast selected for its vigorous character and high flocculation. This yeast is recommended for a large range of ale styles and is especially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales.
Recommended temperature range of 64-75F.

Saflager S-23 (DCL Yeast)
This lager strain is used by several European commercial breweries. This yeast develops soft estery notes at the recommended temperature range of 48-59F and more ale-like characteristics at warmer temperatures. From what I have read, I am speculating that this is a Kolsch or Alt-type yeast. This strain of yeast will produce a lager character at 54F, and homebrewers have reported good results with this yeast. Given the recommended fermentation temperature range, these yeasts may not respond well to lagering (extended secondary fermentation at low temperatures) as described in Chapter 10, and probably should be maintained at 54F for the duration of the time in the fermenter, approximately 2-3 weeks. I have not used this yeast myself and cannot say for certain.

I think the quality of dried yeasts has got significantly better over the years....

With kits you notice you only get 7 grams of yeast that is in the top of the can (which is at room temp) - so the yeast is pretty much half dead. Also, 7 grams is not really enough to a 23 litre batch and from what I understand the yeast produces some 'kit homebrew' esters cause it is stressed to reproduce enough yeast to tackle the task of converting all the sugars...

You will notice that at your lhbs the dried yeast comes in 12 gram packs and are refridgerated - i.e. enough yeast to do the job and are healthy as well.

I would be happy using dried yeast for a lot of beer - I would be using liquid only because there is a FAR greater variety.

As I am a beginner I will be starting out only with dried yeast so I don't have another variable to worry about - then move on to liquid yeasts.

From what I hear you also don't need to aerate the wort when using dried yeast!!!

Personally i only use fermentis, dont know why there just seems to be a strain for every beer i want to make, heres my own personal take on things (fermentis) :

US-05 - Nearly every APA i've ever made, clean neatural yeast

S-04 - English neers or IPA's

W34/70 - Lagers, only just stared using this so cant comment much

S-23 - Lagers again but i like the 34/70 better cause i think its cleaner

WB-06 - For all tings WHEAT!

Seriously thats all i use, should prob start looking at liquid but i just hate the messing round with starters.

Personally i only use fermentis, dont know why there just seems to be a strain for every beer i want to make, heres my own personal take on things (fermentis) :

US-05 - Nearly every APA i've ever made, clean neatural yeast

S-04 - English neers or IPA's

W34/70 - Lagers, only just stared using this so cant comment much

S-23 - Lagers again but i like the 34/70 better cause i think its cleaner

WB-06 - For all tings WHEAT!

Seriously thats all i use, should prob start looking at liquid but i just hate the messing round with starters.

Fents i thought you used S189 Lager yeast in the last case swap

SB add S189 as a really good lager yeast

Rook

Im a fool for belgian ales, and have only made a starter once, for when I needed it to drop from 1120 to 1015!
Otherwise... Ive never used starter from either white labs or wyeast products.

For some strange reason, I havent used dried yeast since I was doing kit beers.
I now associate some of the flavours in kits I did not like with dried yeasts, but I understand many dried yeasts are quite good!
What styles of ales work well with dried yeasts and which strain, and which types of beers should never be attempted with a dried yeast?

All yeasts have "flavours". The best way is to use them and experiment, different yeast strains suit different beer styles. Like using a wheat yeast in a Weizen is required and using 05 say for an English Bitter is just plain wrong, you want the fruitiness provided by the aroma and flavour profile of an English yeast strain.

Dried yeasts are no different they all have different flavour and aroma profiles, some like US-05 have very little.

I have a real aversion to a couple of particular dried yeast strains, one I find difficult to use and I just don't like the aroma and flavour profile of the other, so I don't use them. But I find the same with a few liquid yeast strains for the exact same reasons.

Often breweries will have a similar "flavour" across all of the beers due to their yeast strain of choice for a house yeast. Obviously the brewer likes the aroma and flavour of beers produced using his choice of yeast in the way he uses it in his beers.

Maybe some of the kit yeast you used previously was a strain which would work suitably at higher temps, these usually give off very cidery/fruity esters. I think yeast choice is a personal thing due to personal preference for the flavour/aroma provided, so try some dried yeast strains and see what you think.

Screwy

Styles I would never use dry yeast for:

Anything Belgian/French styled
Weizen
English Bitters/Strong Ales

Basically anything you want a specific yeast-derived flavour profile out needs a specific strain and fermentation conditions. There's just not enough dry yeast strains to compete in this area.

Fents i thought you used S189 Lager yeast in the last case swap

SB add S189 as a really good lager yeast

Rook

you know what i think you might be right mate. i'll check tonight.

Im a fool for belgian ales, and have only made a starter once, for when I needed it to drop from 1120 to 1015!
Otherwise... Ive never used starter from either white labs or wyeast products.

so do you collect the yeats cake at the end to save cause liqiuds so expensive?

Styles I would never use dry yeast for:

Anything Belgian/French styled
Weizen
English Bitters/Strong Ales

Basically anything you want a specific yeast-derived flavour profile out needs a specific strain and fermentation conditions. There's just not enough dry yeast strains to compete in this area.
There's the Safbrew T-58 dried yeast for belgians, but do a search and you'll find it takes ages for the beer to mature.
It's good for emergencies I suppose.

so do you collect the yeats cake at the end to save cause liqiuds so expensive?
Recently they have cost me $10 plus postage from our kind sponsor, however, I was paying $17 per vial from LHBS.
But, yeah.. I re use my yeasts twice.
No infections yet.
I figa that $3.30 a pop is good value for proper stinky belgian yeasts. :)

There's the Safbrew T-58 dried yeast for belgians, but do a search and you'll find it takes ages for the beer to mature.
It's good for emergencies I suppose.

I was (indirectly) implying that T-58 (the only real dry belgian ale yeast), and for that matter WB-06 and Munich (for weizens), and windsor/etc. (for English's) is inadequate for the range of yeast profiles encountered in brewing said styles.

I was (indirectly) implying that T-58 (the only real dry belgian ale yeast), and for that matter WB-06 and Munich (for weizens), and windsor/etc. (for English's) is inadequate for the range of yeast profiles encountered in brewing said styles.
Yeah I know... I just threw in T-58 for what it's worth ,and yeah, emergencies when your liquid starter is no good.
:beer:

The only dried that really does it for me is the us05. With the others, its not that theres anything wrong, per se, with them, they just don't have the flavour profile that I'm after. A lot of people swear by s04 for the English, but personally, I found it to be...well, bland is a bit harsh, lets say 'not as flavourfull and complex in profile'. I prefer the Nottingham to the s04, but I also found this to be lacking (but if I was out of yeast and needed to do a brew, I would use it again). I hated the wb06, but again it comes down to personal preference, cos it's very clove driven, and I wasn't keen. (should have known, I hate cloves anyway :rolleyes: )
I think that a big, big, part of it is personal taste more than an issue of effectiveness.

The only dried that really does it for me is the us05. With the others, its not that theres anything wrong, per se, with them, they just don't have the flavour profile that I'm after. A lot of people swear by s04 for the English, but personally, I found it to be...well, bland is a bit harsh, lets say 'not as flavourfull and complex in profile'. I prefer the Nottingham to the s04, but I also found this to be lacking (but if I was out of yeast and needed to do a brew, I would use it again). I hated the wb06, but again it comes down to personal preference, cos it's very clove driven, and I wasn't keen. (should have known, I hate cloves anyway :rolleyes: )
I think that a big, big, part of it is personal taste more than an issue of effectiveness.

+1

US05 is my dry yeast of choice for an APA altho have used nottingham (mainly when brewing for mates who wouldnt care about the subtle nuances of ester production by yeasts).

Once you go liquid, life changes..... :D

+1

US05 is my dry yeast of choice for an APA altho have used nottingham (mainly when brewing for mates who wouldnt care about the subtle nuances of ester production by yeasts).

+1 I also love US-05 for APA's, so reliable, ferments out strong and clean!

I have used nottingham a little, not happy with results, windsor, hated the results, but I suspect with these two it was my fault due to a calibration problem with my sensors. I am going to retry Nottingham on an English Pale Ale I am creating the recipe for in October some time.

So.. dried yeasts just arent as stinky?
Beers that have strong hop aroma or malt, fine to use dried yeast?
Beers that have strong yeast characteristcs... use .. umm.. moist yeast?

subtle nuances of ester production by yeasts
mmmmmmm, esters! :icon_drool2:

So.. dried yeasts just arent as stinky?
Beers that have strong hop aroma or malt, fine to use dried yeast?
Beers that have strong yeast characteristcs... use .. umm.. moist yeast?
Umm, kind of, sort of, in simplified terms. The thing about yeasts is, they all give different flavours if treated differently. Using 1275 as an example, the flavour for 2 identical beers using this yeast will vary depending on how it was pitched and brewed. Correct pitch at 18, and fermented at that temperature, will give a very different result to one that was slightly underpitched at 17C and then racked at 16hours and raised to 21C for the ferment.

Back