iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What board were you looking at? Happy to link you to the materials. If you're using the normal PCB and 3D printed sled, the GitHub doc has all the parts. If you're using the Cherry Philip design, you'll need the smaller battery charger module.
https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/blob/master/docs/Parts_en.md
I was thinking of going the Cherry Philip design as it seems slightly easier. Do you have the parts list required, at least a link to the smaller battery charger module required?

Cheers

I reflashed mine with NodeMCU flasher, and used following advanced settings:
Baud rate:74880 bps; Flash size: 4MB; Flash Speed: 40MHz; SPI Mode: DIO

Hasn't skipped a beat since through over half a dozen ferments paired with BrewPiLess.

So... on this screen (attached), what do I enter?
ie, I have a single file called firmware601.bin (I assume that's all I need?) in c:\temp folder on my Windows laptop.
Do I remove the first line saying 'INTERNAL://NODEMCU' and replace this with 'c:\temp\folder\firmware601.bin' ?
Or do I put 'c:\temp.... etc on the line underneath 'INTERNAL...'? And if I do that, what is the offset value?

Doesn't seem to be any reasonable documentation on this hence my questions, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• configpic.jpg
    configpic.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 112
The answer may well be here somewhere but ..... I'm going to ask :)

My iSpindel works I calibrated it and can access the configuration without difficulty.
It connects to Ubidots but only sends one or two packets of data then nothing, I have not been able to find out much about this fault except a number of people have reported it.

Any suggestions as to how I might sort it out?

Thanks All.

Click on the gear icon, and then navigate your way to the temp folder and select the bin folder.

Thanks - but.... Do I remove the first line saying 'INTERNAL://NODEMCU' and replace this with 'c:\temp\folder\firmware601.bin' ?
Or do I put 'c:\temp.... etc on the line underneath 'INTERNAL...'? And if I do that, what is the offset value?

Today I received my iSpindel. Tonight I've put it all together and joined the device wi-fi into its GUI. I set it up with my home WiFi and UNIdots, I went across to my network all good. However I can not get it to switch back to it own wifi as I now need to change a setting and calibrate it.

Pressing the reset button does not seem to work

**Edit**
I got it working, didn't read the instructions correctly, therefore didn't press it quickly after the first time

Last edited:
My iSpindle is all assembled and finally calibrated (after making the kitchen into a science room).

I was using UniDots, but could not get the calibration formula to work, so changed up and set a Raspberry Pi as a FermenTrack machine.

As soon as my STC-100 Rocks up, I'll get a new batch on and really test out the iSpindle.
20190127_162737.jpeg

Hi all,
I've calibrated and have been using my iSpindel on a current brew, all going pretty well. I log my data to the brewing software Brewfather and it's looking good. However, after three days of pretty reliable updates the readings/updates have stopped. I'd have to then sanitise some tongs and pull it out and after putting it in operational mode and generally just restarting it a few times and so on (no real logic to getting it to work) it seemed to reconnect and start updating again, a few hours later it stopped again. When it stops and I take it out the fermenter, I leave it there for a while next to my modem but it still doesn't update and checking my RSSI strength it's decent so can't be that. Not sure what it is. Having to physically reset the WEMOS is a major shortcoming and a pain.
The firmware is 6.0.2, thinking I might 'downgrade' to 5 something and see how that goes.
Any thoughts on the above?

I was also thinking of hooking up the USB and seeing what spits out via Putty or Termite. I've tried this and just wanted to confirm what I'm doing here is correct/incorrect?

Do I switch the device off, hook up the cable then switch it on and I should see some stuff?
What I find is that I don't see anything until when it transmits the data and what I see is just complete nonsense (attached screenshot). Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
Just get a Tilt and be done with it

Just get a Tilt and be done with it
Tilts are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, but I guess if you'd rather someone else to build it for you that makes sense, $50 worth of parts plus $150 labour.

Tilts are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, but I guess if you'd rather someone else to build it for you that makes sense, $50 worth of parts plus $150 labour.
Well I guess the manufacturer needs to make some profit for coming up with the idea. You can make so many things cheaper if you follow what someone has done before. At least you get something out of the box that works, is properly calibrated and you have warranty. That is why they cost what they cost.

Well I guess the manufacturer needs to make some profit for coming up with the idea. You can make so many things cheaper if you follow what someone has done before. At least you get something out of the box that works, is properly calibrated and you have warranty. That is why they cost what they cost.
Yeah fair point, but for me needing six of them it was a choice between $1,200 for Tilts or build my own for a quarter of the price.

Same thing could be said about brewing, you can make a keg of craft beer for $50 or you can pay a manufacturer $80 for a carton that works out of the box ;)

But each to their own, I'm certainly not judging anyone, just offering an alternative perspective.

Yeah fair point, but for me needing six of them it was a choice between $1,200 for Tilts or build my own for a quarter of the price.

Same thing could be said about brewing, you can make a keg of craft beer for $50 or you can pay a manufacturer $80 for a carton that works out of the box ;)

But each to their own, I'm certainly not judging anyone, just offering an alternative perspective.
Well with the Tilts you can get all the different colours and they have the same colour on the graph so makes it breeze to know which one is in which fermenter.

For beer there are many recipes from thousands of years which are not copyrighted. For the small crowd that makes the Tilt its their livelihood and I reckon they deserve to make a bit of something and not get done over.

Well with the Tilts you can get all the different colours and they have the same colour on the graph so makes it breeze to know which one is in which fermenter.
I 3D printed the sleds for mine in different colours, and the coding is irrelevant because I feed mine into my BrewPi server.
For beer there are many recipes from thousands of years which are not copyrighted. For the small crowd that makes the Tilt its their livelihood and I reckon they deserve to make a bit of something and not get done over.
Lol, that's a good one, but in actual fact it's no different. If I find a craft beer I like and imitate the recipe for my own personal use I'm not impacting anyone's "livelihood", nor is anyone getting "done over" if I build an iSpindel for my own personal use. In fact unlike Tilt their code is open source, not in copyright violation in any jurisdiction and I'm not selling them to anyone, so not sure what you are trying to say here?

Latest posts

Back