Quantcast

iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

grahambayley

Reaction score
Hi All

Getting a strange effect from my Second Spindel, its done this for 4-5 brews now ....

Pop in the spindle, get a low reading, then it jumps in SG. you can see from the attached image. When I Calibrate its spot on and water cal gives 23.4 deg for 1.000 SG @ 22 Deg C

Any Ideas ???

Attachments

HarryBlue

Reaction score
Pop in the spindle, get a low reading, then it jumps in SG. you can see from the attached image. When I Calibrate its spot on and water cal gives 23.4 deg for 1.000 SG @ 22 Deg C

Any Ideas ???
I am seeing exactly the same jump in SG with my four brews since building the iSpindel. Why I don't know, my temperature remains stable, I guess it just would not be noticed with a conventional hydrometer. The brew also generates a couple of degrees of heat, which I would not notice had it not been for the iSpindel.

bluc

Reaction score
I keep breaking the micro usb port on the battery charger. Anyone know if there are other options for the charger port?

bee2gee

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
only thing I can think about is a different cable, hopefully one which sits a little more loose-fitting

HarryBlue

Reaction score
A question about calibration? can i use a brew and get readings with a hydrometer for the polynominal formula?
Adjust it for the 25 degree list at 20C, then use the sugar calibration method to get a polynomial fomulae accurately.

You just need a container just deep enough, wide enough to allow the iSpindel to float vertically and horizontally. A 2L plastic jug worked for me, then measure the sugar in and dissolve. I got five SG reference points that way and my results are very accurate, much better than an hydrometer could possibly produce.

Enkie

Reaction score
Diode removal - Wemos D1 mini pro

Dear all, I am new to the forum, I bought a set to solder the ispindel yourself from someone containing all parts. I have the cherry phllip 4.0 board and the Wemos d1 mini pro (brand: rainsun), this is where my question is.
I want to remove the diode to prevent overloading of the battery (iSpindel Assembly | Open Source Distilling), but it is somewhere else than on the other d1 boards. Can you tell me which is the diode to remove to prevent charging with 5v. Is it indeed the red circled component?
D4C29E54-B808-4630-A633-2640F288DC99.jpeg

bee2gee

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about the diode, especially with the USB port for the Wemos pointing downwards and not generally accessible unless you remove the PCB. You do however need to swap the 0 ohm resistor from the vertical to horizontal position in order to enable the IPX port - assuming you intend on using it.

Enkie

Reaction score
Hi Bee2Gee, thank you for your reply, first question is when not removing the diode as described on the website earlier mentioned, what is the on position?

How it’s now on the picture or in the other position?

Second question, what do you mean with the 0 ohm resistor, can you point it out, on one of the pictures, and why is there a need to change position?
I don’t know if I need to use the IPX port, as I am new to this forum and with the ispindel. I want to is use it like everybody else..

Than you and others for your support and waiting on a reply.

Attachments

bee2gee

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
The diode is generally removed to avoid issues with using the USB on the Wemos whilst having the iSpindel turned on and also powered via battery. This is the reason I suggested that it's not really needed as you can't really "accidentally" power the Wemos independently, given the rotation of the USB port (not facing up).

The antenna on the D1 Pro usually isn't as good as the normal D1 mini, unless you're using the IPX port with an antenna. Based on the orientation of your first photo, take a look at the top, mid-left. There is a small surface mount component with a 0 or 000 on it. You can follow the track out of the ceramic antenna and the IPX socket which has a pad with nothing on it.

Enkie

Reaction score
The diode is generally removed to avoid issues with using the USB on the Wemos whilst having the iSpindel turned on and also powered via battery. This is the reason I suggested that it's not really needed as you can't really "accidentally" power the Wemos independently, given the rotation of the USB port (not facing up).

The antenna on the D1 Pro usually isn't as good as the normal D1 mini, unless you're using the IPX port with an antenna. Based on the orientation of your first photo, take a look at the top, mid-left. There is a small surface mount component with a 0 or 000 on it. You can follow the track out of the ceramic antenna and the IPX socket which has a pad with nothing on it.
If I understand correctly I need to resolder the 0 ohm resistor into the green position. In that case the ceramic antenna is not working anymore and have to buy an external antenna like in the attached picture? Only if the signal is not sufficient at the moment.

Can you also help me out with the on/off position of the board, I pictured in the previous reply my current situation of which I do not know if it is on or of.

Third, what would you suggest, buy a new Wemos d1 mini and replace the current mini pro or go for the external ipx antenna? Only the wire part and remove the large golden connection for the fixed pet shown on the picture.
I can always check if I have a bad WiFi connection at the moment before changing something to the current situation..

Practical question on this reply, the possibility to add a picture in this box is greyed out, is this normal, I can only attach a file, which I will.

Thank you for your reply

Attachments

bee2gee

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by the on position, if you're referring to the switch, it's relatively obvious as the gyro LED will be on when the iSpindel is on.

Correct, the 0 ohm resistor needs to be moved into the green position if you find you are not getting enough reception. The antenna you have linked is fine, although you might be able to get some 150mm, thin wire antennas like they use on radio controlled cars/planes etc.