iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Getting a strange effect from my Second Spindel, its done this for 4-5 brews now ....

Pop in the spindle, get a low reading, then it jumps in SG. you can see from the attached image. When I Calibrate its spot on and water cal gives 23.4 deg for 1.000 SG @ 22 Deg C

Any Ideas ???

Attachments

• iSpindel kick.png
    iSpindel kick.png
    648.8 KB · Views: 78
Pop in the spindle, get a low reading, then it jumps in SG. you can see from the attached image. When I Calibrate its spot on and water cal gives 23.4 deg for 1.000 SG @ 22 Deg C

Any Ideas ???

I am seeing exactly the same jump in SG with my four brews since building the iSpindel. Why I don't know, my temperature remains stable, I guess it just would not be noticed with a conventional hydrometer. The brew also generates a couple of degrees of heat, which I would not notice had it not been for the iSpindel.

I keep breaking the micro usb port on the battery charger. Anyone know if there are other options for the charger port?

only thing I can think about is a different cable, hopefully one which sits a little more loose-fitting

A question about calibration? can i use a brew and get readings with a hydrometer for the polynominal formula?

Adjust it for the 25 degree list at 20C, then use the sugar calibration method to get a polynomial fomulae accurately.

You just need a container just deep enough, wide enough to allow the iSpindel to float vertically and horizontally. A 2L plastic jug worked for me, then measure the sugar in and dissolve. I got five SG reference points that way and my results are very accurate, much better than an hydrometer could possibly produce.

Diode removal - Wemos D1 mini pro

Dear all, I am new to the forum, I bought a set to solder the ispindel yourself from someone containing all parts. I have the cherry phllip 4.0 board and the Wemos d1 mini pro (brand: rainsun), this is where my question is.
I want to remove the diode to prevent overloading of the battery (iSpindel Assembly | Open Source Distilling), but it is somewhere else than on the other d1 boards. Can you tell me which is the diode to remove to prevent charging with 5v. Is it indeed the red circled component?
D4C29E54-B808-4630-A633-2640F288DC99.jpeg

I don't think you need to worry about the diode, especially with the USB port for the Wemos pointing downwards and not generally accessible unless you remove the PCB. You do however need to swap the 0 ohm resistor from the vertical to horizontal position in order to enable the IPX port - assuming you intend on using it.

Hi Bee2Gee, thank you for your reply, first question is when not removing the diode as described on the website earlier mentioned, what is the on position?

How it’s now on the picture or in the other position?

Second question, what do you mean with the 0 ohm resistor, can you point it out, on one of the pictures, and why is there a need to change position?
I don’t know if I need to use the IPX port, as I am new to this forum and with the ispindel. I want to is use it like everybody else..

Than you and others for your support and waiting on a reply.

Attachments

• FA8ED194-462E-4A0D-9A5A-89D810CAAB53.jpeg
    FA8ED194-462E-4A0D-9A5A-89D810CAAB53.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 41
  • DBA23026-B971-4D4A-A752-490505CB44BE.jpeg
    DBA23026-B971-4D4A-A752-490505CB44BE.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 40
The diode is generally removed to avoid issues with using the USB on the Wemos whilst having the iSpindel turned on and also powered via battery. This is the reason I suggested that it's not really needed as you can't really "accidentally" power the Wemos independently, given the rotation of the USB port (not facing up).

The antenna on the D1 Pro usually isn't as good as the normal D1 mini, unless you're using the IPX port with an antenna. Based on the orientation of your first photo, take a look at the top, mid-left. There is a small surface mount component with a 0 or 000 on it. You can follow the track out of the ceramic antenna and the IPX socket which has a pad with nothing on it.

The diode is generally removed to avoid issues with using the USB on the Wemos whilst having the iSpindel turned on and also powered via battery. This is the reason I suggested that it's not really needed as you can't really "accidentally" power the Wemos independently, given the rotation of the USB port (not facing up).

The antenna on the D1 Pro usually isn't as good as the normal D1 mini, unless you're using the IPX port with an antenna. Based on the orientation of your first photo, take a look at the top, mid-left. There is a small surface mount component with a 0 or 000 on it. You can follow the track out of the ceramic antenna and the IPX socket which has a pad with nothing on it.
If I understand correctly I need to resolder the 0 ohm resistor into the green position. In that case the ceramic antenna is not working anymore and have to buy an external antenna like in the attached picture? Only if the signal is not sufficient at the moment.

Can you also help me out with the on/off position of the board, I pictured in the previous reply my current situation of which I do not know if it is on or of.

Third, what would you suggest, buy a new Wemos d1 mini and replace the current mini pro or go for the external ipx antenna? Only the wire part and remove the large golden connection for the fixed pet shown on the picture.
I can always check if I have a bad WiFi connection at the moment before changing something to the current situation..

Practical question on this reply, the possibility to add a picture in this box is greyed out, is this normal, I can only attach a file, which I will.

Thank you for your reply

Attachments

• F088BC1C-30C0-4C95-B908-33A6CB6EA487.png
    F088BC1C-30C0-4C95-B908-33A6CB6EA487.png
    305.3 KB · Views: 59
  • A23114D0-AA1E-44A9-A5D5-6D55DBA2CE63.jpeg
    A23114D0-AA1E-44A9-A5D5-6D55DBA2CE63.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 59
I'm not sure what you mean by the on position, if you're referring to the switch, it's relatively obvious as the gyro LED will be on when the iSpindel is on.

Correct, the 0 ohm resistor needs to be moved into the green position if you find you are not getting enough reception. The antenna you have linked is fine, although you might be able to get some 150mm, thin wire antennas like they use on radio controlled cars/planes etc.

Have not given up on this purple iSpindel. I had a similar problem with orange iSpindel but fixed it by re-flashing the firmware. Thought I would try the same again on purple.

Anyway, firmware will not flash to purple. NodeMcu sits in "waiting" mode waiting the iSpindel. Putty logs shows the iSpindel looping through what looks to be the startup scripts. The iSpindel appears on the network and just as quickly disappears. Tried reset button 3-4 times and no change.

Is there a way to wipe the iSpindel's current memory or rest the device and re-flash the firmware?

I have the same problem, somebody solved this problem during flashing?
It does nothing after you push the flash button.

The logg shows:
Note:Detect serial port changed.
Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port-->COM3

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.

the following message appears as a sequience during the 'flashing' but does not come to an end.
connect.world()
require("wifi")
require("gpio")

Capture GPIO.JPG
Capture wifi.JPG
Capture connect world.JPG
Log.JPG

Tried multiple USB cables, similair for the software, latest release but also some of the versions that was shown in a youtube movie explaining how to flash.
Hope somebody can help me out.

Kr. Pieter-Paul

Attachments

• Capture GPIO.JPG
    Capture GPIO.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture wifi.JPG
    Capture wifi.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture connect world.JPG
    Capture connect world.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
Maybe give Brew Flasher a try and see if that works.
Also on one of my d1 mini wasn't entering flash mode when the usb was connected and I had to short d3/gpio0 to ground

Hope that helps
Nath

I have the same problem, somebody solved this problem during flashing?
It does nothing after you push the flash button.

The logg shows:
Note:Detect serial port changed.
Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port-->COM3

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.

the following message appears as a sequience during the 'flashing' but does not come to an end.
connect.world()
require("wifi")
require("gpio")

View attachment 119389View attachment 119390View attachment 119391View attachment 119392

Tried multiple USB cables, similair for the software, latest release but also some of the versions that was shown in a youtube movie explaining how to flash.
Hope somebody can help me out.

Kr. Pieter-Paul

Gents and Ladies,

I received a new Wemos D1 mini Pro from the guy I bought the whole set from.
Inmediately before desoldering and soldering I tried to flash this Wemos, with a positive result.

It was apparently a faulty Wemos causing me problems flashing.
After it was in pace on the board, I calibrated (to horizontal) and then placed it in water of 25 degree Celsius, tilt: 19 degree...

Found the following solution to come to a 24,12 degree tilt, adding two mini nuts and some hot glue.

IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

Next step during the weekend will be a calibration on sugar water.

Thank you all for thinking along and I am glad it works!!

Kr. Pieter-Paul

Just received a couple of Ispindels. Looks like a great open source project.

Unfortunately I seem to have killed one, not sure what went wrong. Trimmed back pins and sanded down the board to fit the tube no worries. When it fires up it doesn't connect to wifi properly.

Checked battery charge and that appears OK (blue light).

Re-flashed the latest .bin from here - universam1/iSpindel

Putty log shows something wrong with json config for a start... partial log file below

FW 6.2.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!
mounting FS... mounted!
ERROR: failed to load json config
ERROR config corrupted
scanning for OW device on pin: 5
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 12
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 116
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 121
No devices found!
ERROR: cannot find a OneWire Temperature Sensor!
offsets not available
Boot-Mode: External System
power-cycle or reset detected, config mode
ERROR no Wifi credentials
going to Config Mode
reboot RFCAL
{l lÜŸ| Œlà|„lìc|ǃì›;“cŒbÄò'oŸlnoÜãìcpćlrl{$xónà‚dŒœcgã|läŽcŒónoï dćl`nod`n{’“ocœl;““ocÜlœ„ldäŒd`üƒoÜ
FW 6.2.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!
mounting FS... mounted!
ERROR: failed to load json config
ERROR config corrupted
scanning for OW device on pin: 5
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 12
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 116
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 121
No devices found!
ERROR: cannot find a OneWire Temperature Sensor!
offsets not available
Boot-Mode: Deep-Sleep Wake
ERROR no Wifi credentials
going to Config Mode
Exception (28):
epc1=0x402098f3 epc2=0x00000000 epc3=0x00000000 excvaddr=0x00000000 depc=0x00000000
>>>stack>>>
ctx: sys
sp: 3ffffd60 end: 3fffffb0 offset: 01a0
3fffff00: 0031d4b0 3ffeee60 3ffef85c 4020a22a
3fffff10: 00000000 4053300b 3ffef460 40202550
3fffff20: 0031d4b0 3ffeee60 3fff290c 40202ea8
3fffff30: 3ffee148 402421dd 3ffee79c 4022154e
3fffff40: 40250bac 3fff290c 3ffeee60 40221bb6
3fffff50: 60000600 3fff290c 3ffeee60 40250bb9
3fffff60: 40250bfe 3fffdab0 00000000 3fffdcb0
3fffff70: 3ffeee70 3fffdab0 00000000 00000004
3fffff80: 40000f49 40000f49 3fffdab0 40000f49
3fffff90: 40000e19 40001878 00000002 00000000
3fffffa0: 3fffff10 aa55aa55 000000ec 40104f60
<<<stack<<<
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)
load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v8b899c12
~ld

There is more logged from Putty if required.

Any ideas?
Hi,

Did you ever figure this out? I am getting similar errors. Thanks

"ERROR: cannot find a OneWire Temperature Sensor! "

The error occurs when the temp probe cannot be found, it will cause the iSpindel to boot loop. There are a few general causes for it. Generally, it is from the solder joints at the back of the temp probe, piercing the battery casing and shorting it out. You can put a piece of hard plastic between them or attempt to use some flush cutters to reduce the size. The other reason for this would either be an incorrectly soldered temp probe or faulty temp probe. It *might* be possible to have a faulty Wemos, however this is probably the least likely cause.

Diode removal - Wemos D1 mini pro

Dear all, I am new to the forum, I bought a set to solder the ispindel yourself from someone containing all parts. I have the cherry phllip 4.0 board and the Wemos d1 mini pro (brand: rainsun), this is where my question is.
I want to remove the diode to prevent overloading of the battery (iSpindel Assembly | Open Source Distilling), but it is somewhere else than on the other d1 boards. Can you tell me which is the diode to remove to prevent charging with 5v. Is it indeed the red circled component?
View attachment 119239
Hi Enkie,

It's been a while since this post (hopefully your unit is up and running) however I just joined today and facing the same question/s for build/setup.

The way I read the recommendations is to protect the battery from being supplied direct 5V when you have the USB cable connected to the WeMoS for firmware flashing etc. Too much voltage could cause the battery to heat up or catch fire.

The how-to that I followed suggests that when flashing and to avoid this - remove the battery from the unit.
Otherwise if you don't connect the USB to the WeMoS whilst battery is in you should be good.

Interested to see if others interpreted it this way or if I should also remove the diode?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back