Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Discussion in 'Electronics, Hardware & Software' started by Mattrox, 11/5/17.

1. bee2gee

Pro Pro

Posted 21/1/19
    What board were you looking at? Happy to link you to the materials. If you're using the normal PCB and 3D printed sled, the GitHub doc has all the parts. If you're using the Cherry Philip design, you'll need the smaller battery charger module.
    https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/blob/master/docs/Parts_en.md

2. bradwhite087

Posted 21/1/19
    I was thinking of going the Cherry Philip design as it seems slightly easier. Do you have the parts list required, at least a link to the smaller battery charger module required?

Cheers

3. bee2gee

Pro Pro

Posted 22/1/19
    bradwhite087 likes this.
  4. chesl73

Posted 23/1/19
    So... on this screen (attached), what do I enter?
    ie, I have a single file called firmware601.bin (I assume that's all I need?) in c:\temp folder on my Windows laptop.
    Do I remove the first line saying 'INTERNAL://NODEMCU' and replace this with 'c:\temp\folder\firmware601.bin' ?
    Or do I put 'c:\temp.... etc on the line underneath 'INTERNAL...'? And if I do that, what is the offset value?

Doesn't seem to be any reasonable documentation on this hence my questions, thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

5. angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available

Home Page:
    Posted 23/1/19
    Click on the gear icon, and then navigate your way to the temp folder and select the bin folder.

6. aamcle

Posted 23/1/19
    The answer may well be here somewhere but ..... I'm going to ask :)

My iSpindel works I calibrated it and can access the configuration without difficulty.
    It connects to Ubidots but only sends one or two packets of data then nothing, I have not been able to find out much about this fault except a number of people have reported it.

Any suggestions as to how I might sort it out?

Thanks All.

7. chesl73

Posted 23/1/19
    Thanks - but.... Do I remove the first line saying 'INTERNAL://NODEMCU' and replace this with 'c:\temp\folder\firmware601.bin' ?
    Or do I put 'c:\temp.... etc on the line underneath 'INTERNAL...'? And if I do that, what is the offset value?

8. angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available

Home Page:
    Posted 24/1/19
    Click on the gear icon for the "internal://" line. You 'll end up replacing that with 'c:\temp\folder\firmware601.bin'

9. chesl73

Posted 24/1/19
    Thanks. Just wanted to be clear before I did it. Have re-flashed it. Cheers.

10. Nullnvoid

Posted 24/1/19
    Still haven't set mine up yet! Need to get a battery so I can start playing with it.

11. Nathan McCann

Posted 25/1/19
    Today I received my iSpindel. Tonight I've put it all together and joined the device wi-fi into its GUI. I set it up with my home WiFi and UNIdots, I went across to my network all good. However I can not get it to switch back to it own wifi as I now need to change a setting and calibrate it.

Pressing the reset button does not seem to work

**Edit**
    I got it working, didn't read the instructions correctly, therefore didn't press it quickly after the first time

Last edited: 25/1/19
  12. JnR_Mc

Posted 27/1/19
    My iSpindle is all assembled and finally calibrated (after making the kitchen into a science room).

I was using UniDots, but could not get the calibration formula to work, so changed up and set a Raspberry Pi as a FermenTrack machine.

As soon as my STC-100 Rocks up, I'll get a new batch on and really test out the iSpindle. 20190127_162737.jpeg

13. Em Tubby

Posted 28/1/19
    Just get a Tilt and be done with it

14. Nullnvoid

Posted 28/1/19
    From where would you suggest?

15. kaljade

Posted 28/1/19
    Tilts are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, but I guess if you'd rather someone else to build it for you that makes sense, $50 worth of parts plus $150 labour.

16. Em Tubby

Posted 28/1/19
    Grain and Grape and Keg King sell them or get them online direct.

17. Em Tubby

Posted 28/1/19
    Well I guess the manufacturer needs to make some profit for coming up with the idea. You can make so many things cheaper if you follow what someone has done before. At least you get something out of the box that works, is properly calibrated and you have warranty. That is why they cost what they cost.

18. kaljade

Posted 28/1/19
    Yeah fair point, but for me needing six of them it was a choice between $1,200 for Tilts or build my own for a quarter of the price.

Same thing could be said about brewing, you can make a keg of craft beer for $50 or you can pay a manufacturer $80 for a carton that works out of the box ;)

But each to their own, I'm certainly not judging anyone, just offering an alternative perspective.

19. Em Tubby

Posted 28/1/19
    Well with the Tilts you can get all the different colours and they have the same colour on the graph so makes it breeze to know which one is in which fermenter.

For beer there are many recipes from thousands of years which are not copyrighted. For the small crowd that makes the Tilt its their livelihood and I reckon they deserve to make a bit of something and not get done over.

20. kaljade

Posted 28/1/19
    I 3D printed the sleds for mine in different colours, and the coding is irrelevant because I feed mine into my BrewPi server.
    Lol, that's a good one, but in actual fact it's no different. If I find a craft beer I like and imitate the recipe for my own personal use I'm not impacting anyone's "livelihood", nor is anyone getting "done over" if I build an iSpindel for my own personal use. In fact unlike Tilt their code is open source, not in copyright violation in any jurisdiction and I'm not selling them to anyone, so not sure what you are trying to say here?

Blair solomon likes this.