Is your beer vegan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercus

Reaction score
Came across this article about a Vegan Oktoberfest. I am a carnivore myself but found it interesting.

https://www.finedininglovers.com/stories/vegan-beer-list-festival/

I use gelatin occasionally so I assume that rules out that beer from being vegan. Isinglass, pepsin and cochineal would also rule out a beer from this event, according to the article. What else do people use that would make their beer non vegan.

I wonder about yeast! I suppose vegans eat mushrooms and probably put yeast in the same category.

I just imagine all these hippies running around pissed with a mug around their neck eating tofu.

Beercus

What a great idea!
In line with vegan guidelines I'll be brewing a tribute beer of yeast free flat wort.

Dave70 said:
What a great idea!
In line with vegan guidelines I'll be brewing a tribute beer of yeast free flat wort.
Nope just had a look around and the vegans argue yeast is OK to eat because they do not have feelings!

I'd argue the contrary.
Look at the lengths we brewers go to to 'keep yeast happy'.

Yeast is fungus, whole different category to animals. Though as Dave says, the little fungal beasties just seem so damn frisky that it does seem a wee bit carnivorous consuming them.

I wonder if agar can be used as a gelatine substitute in brews? I've dropped in a bit of agar into some of my brews but can't say I noticed the difference.

Other finings that have been used - egg white (nup), blood (double nup.... though lovely nutrient for the yeast).

Also, discovery made the other day - both eggs and milk contain amylase. Anyone want to crack an egg in their brew? I do wonder if the amylase plays its part in some old dessert recipes - custards, for instance.

I don't what's more horrible: The writing style of that article or the thought of Oktoberfest without pork.

Vegans don't like cock?
I thought the hairy vegan hippies loved the cock....

Not For Horses said:
I don't what's more horrible: The writing style of that article or the thought of Oktoberfest without pork.
Actually its casual implication that non vegans are comfortable with animal cruelty that shits me.

Anyway, here's your tofu pig. Shut up and eat it.

EMnD5.jpg

Dave70 said:
Actually its casual implication that non vegans are comfortable with animal cruelty that shits me.

Anyway, here's your tofu pig. Shut up and eat it.

EMnD5.jpg
Where is the knuckle?

Don't know and don't ******* care to be honest.

beercus said:
Nope just had a look around and the vegans argue yeast is OK to eat because they do not have feelings!
Actually, that raises an interesting point.
So its OK to MURDER a living organism for your own enjoyment so long as it cant feel pain, is ignorant to suffering or is otherwise anesthetized? Whats the policy on roadkill of animals who died from natural causes?
Seems a little kooky.

All mine are vegan, and being a vego I don't miss pork!

Ducatiboy stu said:
Thats Fetta
Sorry, it looked slimy, gross and is resting in it's own slightly opaque fluid so I naturally assumed..

Surely on the "industrial scale" mentioned in the article, they're using Polyclar or similar rather than gelatine or isinglass?
I guess the dinosaurs that died to make the PVPP had feelings too.

Dave70 said:
Sorry, it looked slimy, gross and is resting in it's own slightly opaque fluid so I naturally assumed..
it was pig fat???

Latest posts

Back