Is your beer vegan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrDave said:
Surely on the "industrial scale" mentioned in the article, they're using Polyclar or similar rather than gelatine or isinglass?
I guess the dinosaurs that died to make the PVPP had feelings too.
A lot were using gelatine and isinglass until recently.

Even though yeast is a single cell organism, it along with all other living things has the basic instinct to to survive and will reproduce when under threat, this is not a concious decision, it is something that has to be in all living things otherwise they wouldn't be alive.

syl said:
it was pig fat???
Actually, frying it in pork dripping would go a long way toward making it editable.

Sorry if you choose not to eat even honey you got issues in my book!

wide eyed and legless said:
Even though yeast is a single cell organism, it along with all other living things has the basic instinct to to survive and will reproduce when under threat, this is not a concious decision, it is something that has to be in all living things otherwise they wouldn't be alive.
Absolutely, been toughing it out since the dawn of time and those heartless Kevorkianesque vegans want to MURDER our microscopic brothers by the gazillion. Tut tut tut..
I hope they soak up all that delicious tofu juice with damper.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper "leaf" fat to render into lard? The leaf fat is from around the kidneys and loin of the pig. My local butcher hasn't even heard of calf liver so I'm at a dead end there.

Bribie G said:
Does anyone know where I can get the proper "leaf" fat to render into lard? The leaf fat is from around the kidneys and loin of the pig. My local butcher hasn't even heard of calf liver so I'm at a dead end there.
Book an appointment at the local surgery and drink lots before you go in.
Remember to tell the Mrs it was a special gift.

Bribie G said:
You looking for suet type fat. The butcher will need to order it from the Abottoir. Eversons at Fredrickton will supply it easy enough if the butcher orders it from them,

I know this because when I did some work for them a bloke rolled up wanting a few KG of it, but they dont sell retail

Bribie G said:
I think your referring to caul fat. Your butcher should be able to get it for you, if not find a butcher that does offal.

how_do_you_know_if_someone_is_a_vegetarian.jpg

Dave70 said:
Actually its casual implication that non vegans are comfortable with animal cruelty that shits me.
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that as well.
I happen to be an animal lover as well as a meat eater and I will not be dictated to by sanctimonious vegans that insist on labeling me as cruel.

One pillar of vegan propaganda is that vast areas of farmland are used to produce grain that is fed to animals. This grain should be fed to humans.

Firstly as a Paleo sympathiser I avoid grains wherever possible. I dabble in sourdough bread etc but only as a very minor part of my diet. Grains are basically anti-nutrients and should be consumed with caution. That's why sourdough is good as it removes the phytic acids that make normal grain products harmful.

Secondly the vegans totally miss the point that rangelands and pasture lands are not able to be farmed for vegetables or grains. This was the mistake made in the USA who opened up prairie lands to smallholder farmers who ploughed up vast areas of prairie for agriculture leading to the dustbowl in the 1930s. Today states such as Oklahoma and Arkansas (the original dust bowl, read Steinbeck) only sustain agriculture through a poisonous mix of pesticides and herbicides, artificial fertilisers, irrigation and now GM varieties. According to Nat Geo most of the American Mid West farmland is in danger of collapse in our lifetimes.

Thus rangelands and pasture lands are an ideal global resource for producing the planet's most widely eaten meat - goat - as well as sheep and grass fed cattle, deer, roo and other delectable morsels.
Take free range meats out of the market and the planet would starve within a year.

I avoid factory or feedlot raised meat, and only purchase free range eggs.. locally if possible. I'm in a great position here as I have access to excellent free range everything in the Manning Valley, but people in capital cities have an even better access to this produce due to the proliferation of farmers markets and online suppliers, if they choose to get off their arses and make a choice. A good example is Bangalow Free Range pork, I can't get it here as it all goes to the capitals.

Now for some lovely lard.. I'll check with Mr Butcher re the pig fat, thanks for the leads.

I brewed a vegan beer once but it turned out to be a sanctimonious self-righteous git and I was forced to drink it.I've also brewed a carnivorous beer, it got into the chook house and ate the chooks ( is this then a cock ale ?) and when I caught it eyeing off the dog that was it with my mad scientific brewing experiments, i just brew normal beers nowadays.

My vegan beer turned out to be very pale and thin with mousy rat-tails of hair tied in a lank ponytail and her name was Melissa. The beer used to do endless cycling dressed in stupid lycra so I eventually tipped it down the drain as I couldn't stand the pallid complexion, the complete lack of hips and the missed periods.

Now I only brew rich dark luscious carnivorous beers with big white eyes and scarlet lips and nice curves.

If you don't count the cow milk they drink as babies.

Back