Is your beer vegan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The humane slaughter of animals seems solely the purview of humans.

From apex predator down to insect, virtually every (omnivorous) species seems to be equipped with the necessary teeth, talons, claws, venom's and so on that are more in line with causing an prolonged, agonizing death rather than a quick and painless one. When you think about it, the list of common foods we could tangle with mano a mano is a fairly limited one. Imagine trying to choke out a 300kg steer or punch a 100kg pig to death while it kicked ,squealed and tried to bite chunks out of you. I reckon a pig would **** you up and eat you, no problem.

I hear a lot of human herbivores claim they don't miss eating meat and have never felt healthier.

I submit - A - they never enjoyed meat in the first place - B Their diet and lifestyle was unhealthy to begin with.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I think I may have re fried beans and a glass of juice for my luncheon.

B is a likely option.

I'm always amused by those that claim *insert current fad diet here* is so amazing and groundbreaking because they lost 20kg in 3 months.
Well no shit, that's because you used to eat pizza for breakfast and thought that a carrot was a measure for weighing gemstones.

Midnight Brew said:
Our bodies run far more efficiently off fat then it does carbohydrate.
Thats bullshit fella.
We metabolize fat for energy once liver glycogen stores are depleted, which is why most crash diets are based on are low carb, high protein, moderate / high fat model, but the body always exhausts the most bio available energy sources first, carbohydrates.

Don't forget we are not top of the food chain! Just Think single cell organism.

If it's all just about the finings, then any beer that adheres to the Reinheitsgebot should be vegan. The beers are clarified by filtration without additives (kieselguhr)

I only eat hole foods. Donuts, cheezels, Swiss cheese....

I have no ethical problem with eating meat. I do not put any animal on anywhere near the same moral standing as humans.

Do cows sheep and chooks feel hard done by or have any conception of "tomorrow" or "death" the way we do or in any way?

To be honest, I don't even care how it was raised or killed. To me it's food. If I had to do the slaughtering myself, it may be a different story. But I do not have to.

These animals have been bred for one thing only and that is to feed us.

Maybe I am just mean and heartless.

I do get emotionally moved by pictures of fried bacon though.

You're not mean and heartless. You're just wrong.

Humans and animals have co-existed for a number of reasons, some for food, others not food related.

From cows we get meat, milk, and, as a by-product, cheese. We also get leather, and a wide range of clothes. Most of these require the death of a cow, though not exclusively.

From sheep, though, you can get clothes without killing the sheep.

Ditto bees, you can get honey from them without killing the hive, and with minimal loss of insect life. (The honey is usually stored above the larvae, so the safety of the larvae isn't often a concern in harvesting from the hive).

At the other end of the spectrum are animals who we've had a long relationship with that we have never wanted for food. Pets - but also working animals. Farm dogs, cats whose job has historically been to hunt mice. Or (in the case of the Egyptians and, arguably, modern humans) just to kind of hang around being holy animals of religious devotion(!)

So our relationship with animals is not as simple as you might think. (To put it, er, simply).

You could equate the bred to comment to the Sicko who raped his daughter and kept her in a basement all those years, bred to... but lets not go there. If you make comments like you did ur gonna hear it back.

pcmfisher said:
I have no ethical problem with eating meat. I do not put any animal on anywhere near the same moral standing as humans.

Do cows sheep and chooks feel hard done by or have any conception of "tomorrow" or "death" the way we do or in any way?

To be honest, I don't even care how it was raised or killed. To me it's food. If I had to do the slaughtering myself, it may be a different story. But I do not have to.

I do get emotionally moved by pictures of fried bacon though.
I have no ethical problem eating meat either but I do have ethical issues deliberately causing pain to living creatures and would prefer to avoid it where I can. I'm nowhere near militant about it but I'm a long way from totally apathetic. They might be bred to eat and they might not have the same concept of death but they have nerves and feel pain. You obviously never had a puppy as a kid.

Latest posts

Back