Is your beer vegan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Grains are basically anti-nutrients and should be consumed with caution.
*cough*bull$hit*cough*

I feel a rant coming on.

We've been eating grains (and tubers) for many tens of thousands of years. We collected them long before we farmed them. Burned grains have been found in campfire remains from pre-humans. Our primate cousins eat grains. We have special adaptions (production of amalayse in saliva) that enable us to eat more grains. Those amalayse mutations date back from before we were humans (but after we split with our common ancestor with chimps). probably around a million years ago.

The whole paleo thing is almost as full of crap as veganism (the smug "ethical" kind... not the religious kind). Actual paleo diets consisted of anything from nearly 100% tubers and grains through to nearly 100% rancid seal fat.

Vegans have exactly the same warped view of nutrition only on the opposite direction (meat is poison and we never evolved to eat it which is also crap).

Paleo is just an excuse to eat fatty food and feel smug about it. Veganism is just an excuse to feel smug.

There is some new research that points to good old dietary fibre as being the key health benefit in a more "primitive" diet (which is really anything earlier than the 1940s). Apparently, its over refining and processing food that causes problems by removing all the fibre. New research, very preliminary findings... but interesting.

Rant over.

Cheers
Dave

Ducatiboy stu said:
Cows are vegans.
Most Cows get their protein from digesting bacteria.
Do Bacteria have feelings?
Some cows are feed fish meal and also ground up other cows/animals... hence the madcow problem as they eat other cows brains....
Are they still vegan?

beercus

beercus said:
Some cows are feed fish meal and also ground up other cows/animals... hence the madcow problem as they eat other cows brains....
Are they still vegan?

beercus
Not in Australia, farmers are not allowed to, by law feed animal meal to cattle

So Aussie beef is 100% vegan. :icon_drool2:

I rest my case. :)

Maasai. Meat blood and milk.

tribe maasai.jpg

Their next door neighbours, farmers.

tribe kikuyu.jpg

The Breatharian diet is the best one, at least they die after a very short time.

If only some Hollywood A-lister would recommend it, then we could have a bit of a cull.

Slighty OT, but my dad had a friend who was a strict fruitarian (only eats fruit without seeds that have fallen from the trees). No idea how he survived as we lived in a city at the time, but he was the maddest, kindest bloke I ever met and told the most amazing ghost stories with the gusto of Brian Blessed.

Thanks Dave for having my rant for me. I too have been reading a bit lately about fibre and its interaction with gut bacteria. Very interesting stuff.

Bribie G said:
Maasai. Meat blood and milk.

attachicon.gif
tribe maasai.jpg

Their next door neighbours, farmers.

attachicon.gif
tribe kikuyu.jpg
*New England Journal of Medicine*

Abstract

The Masai of East Africa exhibit some unique biologic characteristics. Despite their customary diet composed of 66 per cent calories as fat, they have persistent low serum cholesterol and beta-lipoprotein levels. Post-mortem examinations provided direct proof of a paucity of atherosclerosis. Metabolic studies revealed that the Masai absorbed large amounts of dietary cholesterol, but also possessed a highly efficient negative feedback control of endogenous cholesterol biosynthesis to compensate for the influx of dietary cholesterol. Two unusual serum-protein patterns were observed: the presence of a double alpha2 band; and a high level of serum IgA that is apparent at an early age (four years). The high ratios of phospholipid to cholesterol and bile acid to cholesterol in their gallbladder bile explain the extreme rarity of cholesterol gallstones. All these characteristics may reflect a long-term biologic adaptation of the tribe.

Beside this, the Masai were well known for consuming soups and teas made from vitamin and antioxidant rich grasses, roots and barks. This was also a major contributor to their robust health, A fact that seems conveniently overlooked by paleo drum bangers.

The myth they thrived exclusively on a diet of blood and milk is just that.

NewtownClown said:
If we are not meant to eat animals, why the **** are they made from meat?
Are jellyfish vegan friendly?

Blind Dog said:
only eats fruit without seeds that have fallen from the trees
I thought having seeds was part of the definition of a fruit.

Don't eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognise.

pcmfisher said:
Don't eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognise.
But I like curry! And Pasta.

Probably best to generalise that to Don't eat anything that *someone's* grandmother wouldn't recognise.

Except if you live on the central coast because your grandmother is probably only about 35...

Maybe "don't eat anything someone born after 1920 wouldn't recognise"

Latest posts

Back