Is This My First Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, but you ask us for help right... You take on board the best advice... Sanitation... Then choose to ignore previous posts of STARSAN STARSAN STARSAN, IODOPHER and go with the Sodium Met. Seriously???
Just because people all say the same thing doesn't mean its right.

But you are right is saying, fatsy, sanitation is what will help you for future batches. Choose a method that WORKS. I use bleach and vinegar. Try what you want.

Proxitane.

Best no rinse on the market - I am saying it AND its right!

Fasty, it may not work for you as it is pretty dangerous undiluted, I would never handle it pissed! Maybe you have a 2 hour window during the day you can work with it! :p ;)

OK. I am not ignoring. I just don't know the difference between the 2. Where di I get STARSAN STARSAN STARSAN?

Proxitane.

Fasty, it may not work for you as it is pretty dangerous undiluted, I would never handle it pissed! Maybe you have a 2 hour window during the day you can work with it! :p ;)
I don't finish work until 5pm, so I reakon I am sober until oh about 5:30 :lol: :chug:

But you are right is saying, fatsy, sanitation is what will help you for future batches. Choose a method that WORKS. I use bleach and vinegar. Try what you want.

mmm.... :beerbang:

Just because people all say the same thing doesn't mean its right.

Bleach works for me too, 1/2 cup in the fermentor filled with cold water.
Soak the tap, sed reducer and air lock in it also. :beerbang:

might be worthwhile getting some Star-San , Iodophor or other non-rinse sanitiser. Sodium Met is junk.

An old fella at work got me onto what I was doing wrong, I was only using bottle washing powder (alkaline salts) to wash everything, now I have metabisulphite.

I'll say it again...brew-tard. Instead of sitting back with a tall glass of homemade toilet water chuckling at how popular you are on this forum, please go to www.howtobrew.com and learn something. Failing that take all of your future concerns straight to the old fella at your work that you listen to coz you clearly aren't listening to the brewers here.

What he said. Don't sanitise with sod met man, if you have to rinse it then yr reintroducing the bacteria you just killed. I bought the bottle linked at about the time I joined here & it's still going. 1 infected batch out of 30 odd & that was from a tap full of hop flowers.

STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN! STARSAN!

swap the sanitation around every couple of weeks, bleach then betadine then starsan then bleach then betadine then starsan....

I'll say it again...brew-tard. Instead of sitting back with a tall glass of homemade toilet water chuckling at how popular you are on this forum, please go to www.howtobrew.com and learn something. Failing that take all of your future concerns straight to the old fella at your work that you listen to coz you clearly aren't listening to the brewers here.

He has apologised profusely about his prior activity.... but each to their own forgiveness..

Remind me never to 'heckle' you at a gig! :lol:

:icon_cheers:

Proxitane.

Agreed...Proxitane is a fantastic santiser, possibly one of the best. Just a bit dangerous...and pretty bloody potent smelling too, but it certainly helps to know if it's done its job.
And on that note, and just by personal preference, not that I don't trust the stuff, but I do like to quickly rinse anything that comes into contact with the stuff before use...the smell can be a bit disconcerting.

And on a similar note, has anyone had experience with Cleanskin in the beer industry. We use it to sanitise things in the winery at TAFE, along with a citric acid solution.

So "nice" to hear from you again oh master of everything great.

The "scum" seems to have reduced since I put finnings in 25 hours ago. Puttting in 22 bottles in PETE 600ml bottles. Will keep a close eye on them.

100_7897.jpg

Proxitane is no doubt a very good product, but I wouldn't try to use it until you build up more experience.

There are a number of posts in this thread pointing you to Starsan (get it from CraftBrewer, use the sponsor link a the top), or Iodophor which is available from most good HB shops.

It seems to me you have run into an infection problem, because clearly your sanitation routine was inadequate.
I'll repeat, for a new brewer, in my view, your best options are Starsan or Iodophor. Each of those are no rinse, meaning that once you have sanitised your equipment, just drain it, and you're ready to go.

One further thing, I agree it's useful to take your taps apart after every brew. It's the only way to really get them clean.

Latest posts

Back