Is This My First Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to my LHBS for some spartan and ring of pridewood tomoz.

The "scum" seems to have reduced since I put finnings in 25 hours ago. Puttting in 22 bottles in PETE 600ml bottles. Will keep a close eye on them.
I'd be mindful seeing fungal colonies like that.
By the looks, it's probably some kind of wild yeast, and chances are, even if you have racked the beer off all of that yeast, their fermentation by-products are more than likely in your beer, and there's a good chance some are in suspension in your beer. From here on in, it's not gonna be smooth sailing, and things could go back quickly.

Best thing he could do , is join a brew club & in 6 months time he'll have 8 cornies, an urn, an esky with a BB falsie, an italian spiral burner, a plate chiller & a partridge in a pear tree.

I'm pretty sure I typed what Ferg was thinking.

OK, decision is made. I am going to bottle it (leave the last 3 litres or so in fermenter and tip out) in PETE bottles that I got tonight (68 bottles for $25) and give it a go. Thank you everyone for your help, I do appreciate all advice given. Will update when I drink it in about a month, I will bottle tonight as SG has fallen to 1004 from SG 1034. As someone said, I will drink it slow and just try one or 2 per night. Then if anyone ever has them happen, then they will know what to do. I did open the lid to check it tonight and it did smell a little like vinegar (bad I know) But hey, you don't know until you try it.

I've been off-line for a couple days so haven't seen this thread. I've just skimmed through so may have missed some pertinent information. A couple days ago you said it tasted like non-carbonated beer and seemed to taste reasonable. The post above states that a day later the gravity has continued to drop to 1004 and you are now perceiving a vinegar-like aroma. Others as well as yourself have commented on changes to your future cleaning/sanitation regime. However, as far as this particular batch is concerned, I would not bother to bottle it. There is no doubt the beer is infected and you have noticed a decline in just the past 24 hours. If you bottle the batch you can be assured the decline will continue. Bottling in PET is safer than glass but that doesn't mean there is not potential for a rather large mess in a month's time, if not before. There are threads on this forum about PET bottles letting go under high pressure. You may not end up with a mess but you will end up with undrinkable beer with this particular batch.

Take my advice with a grain of salt but I wouldn't be bottling this batch now that it is not only showing visual signs of infection but also in aroma and most likely in flavour by this stage.

Where do I get Ring of Pridewood from? :beerbang:

First the council elders must elect you ring bearer. From there the journey is perilous...the Ring of Pridewood has been the downfall of many great kings and 'tis said that it awakens a darkness in the hearts of all men. :ph34r:

LOL, yeah maybe I was a bit pissed. It's ring of pridewood, jokes on me. I didn't get to my LHBS as I had to mow the forest that was my front lawn. Maybe tomoz if he's open. No one picked up on the spartan!! I'll try and get starsan instead. I did bottle 20 PETE bottles of that batch but I think I will end up tipping it out. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
P.S That was pretty funny Lecterfan :p

Fasty, I barely made it to page 3.
Can you save me another 4 pages of timewasting, and give me a recap of where you're at?
Good to see you've finally tasted a hydrometer sample. I'd rather taste a sample than look in the top of my fermenter. (that shit's never pretty!)
As for cleaners I use Pink Stain Remover, Iodophor & Bleach/Vinegar (obviously not all at the same time)

And FFS, "tomoz"? what are you, a 13 yr old Bieberphile? <_<
It's tomorrow, Tomorra, or the fucken day after today bullshit f##king!

Fasty,buy some STARSAN NOW from one of the site sponsors.I think it will save numerous threads on chlorine.band aid,metallic,medicinal and any other number of tastes I fore vision you perceiving in the next few weeks.

Oh and read a book by John Palmer.TWICE

Fasty,buy some STARSAN NOW from one of the site sponsors.I think it will save numerous threads on chlorine.band aid,metallic,medicinal and any other number of tastes I fore vision you perceiving in the next few weeks.

Oh and read a book by John Palmer.TWICE

Needs to learn how to read first - otherwise this thread would never have been created in the first place.

I'm telling you, illiteracy is becoming widespread.

Goomba

The "scum" seems to have reduced since I put finnings in 25 hours ago. Puttting in 22 bottles in PETE 600ml bottles. Will keep a close eye on them.

Why would anyone want to bottle, then drink anything that looked like that?
You need help mate :blink:
Cheers

Well, in regards to the batch that I put photo's up of (the one that looked like the moon), it has been in the bottle for 2 days and it smells like vinegar. So to all who said "bottle it", you were wrong, to all that said "tip it", you were right. Now if anyone gets a batch that looks like that, TIP IT OUT. I hope we have all learned a lesson from this, I sure have. I have changed my sterilising methods. Now I have 22 bottles to tip out and re-clean and sterilise. Please keep the comments neutral (or keep them to yourself if negative.) We all have learnt from this experience that whatever was on top of my brew was BAD!

(It's the first pic in this thread).

Bad luck fasty. Can happen - you need to be super careful with your next few batches. No matter what sanitiser you use; nothing will work unless everything is clean first.

I thoroughly recommend you read at least the first 2 or 3 chapters of the aformentioned text before your next brew. It will answer a lot of questions you may have and is a reference you can keep coming back to.

Slow down a bit, buy a few cartons if you have to and learn a bit more about the process. It's a lot of fun when it works but tipping it is not fun at all. I've done it and you're about to so you know what I mean.

Well, in regards to the batch that I put photo's up of (the one that looked like the moon), it has been in the bottle for 2 days and it smells like vinegar. So to all who said "bottle it", you were wrong, to all that said "tip it", you were right. Now if anyone gets a batch that looks like that, TIP IT OUT. I hope we have all learned a lesson from this, I sure have. I have changed my sterilising methods. Now I have 22 bottles to tip out and re-clean and sterilise. Please keep the comments neutral (or keep them to yourself if negative.) We all have learnt from this experience that whatever was on top of my brew was BAD!

(It's the first pic in this thread).
And to all those who said taste your hydrometer sample before choosing whether to tip or not, you're right.

You've gotta take the good with the bad, Fasty. We all lose one now and again, and it's mainly due to cutting corners with cleanliness. (Fingers crossed with my latest AG yesterday!)

Back