Is This My First Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
As the tittle says. Ingredients were Tooheys Lager (can goop) Coopers Dextrose and a Brigalow finishing hops half tablet the day after putting it down on 25/9/2010? OG was 1034, todays sg is 1006. Smells like any other brew I have put down.

100_7893_00.jpg

that definatly looks like an in infection to me. hows it taste? could be a aceto infection by the look of it. if it taste vinergary or acidic that would be my bet.

Can't say if its your first one, but its definitely a pellicle from some kind of infection. Whether you want to keep it or not is up to you.

Is this my second infection? Recipe is Brigalow New (can of goop) Coopers Brew sugar. Put down 28/09/10 OG 1040 todays SG 1023.

100_7894.jpg

Last pic. Oh and I never taste them out of the fermenter. Is it worth bottling or just tip it out?

100_7896.jpg

Last pic. Oh and I never taste them out of the fermenter. Is it worth bottling or just tip it out?

Tasting it out of the fermenter will alert you to acidic, sour, wrong tastes.
The last couple of photos wernt compelling, but the first looks rancid. Have a taste, so you know what you dont want your beer to taste like, then tip it, then kick the crap out of the fermenter.

felten.....funny man :lol:

second infection? by the look of it YES. whats your sanitation like? to me the brown looks like just yeast but the white haze around the top looks suss. how often do you open the fermenters right up? and you really shouild start tasting beer out of the fermenter if only to get a gauge on what to expect from the beer at any given point during the ferment,that way you would know when something doesnt taste quite right.

lash out sub-forty bucks and get a new fermenter with accessories. That one is binnable.

That first pic looks like the surface of the moon when its zoomed in. Moon brew?

Give the second one a taste. Draw a sample from the tap and give it a swig

The first brew is definately lawnworthy

Why Not can i ask? An important component in brewing is tasting as you go, as mentioned above you get to learn how the beer changes as fermentation progresses. Ive spoke to people who couldnt help themselves and have consumed an entire batch from the fermenter. Get into it, dont be a pussy!

The first is gooone, the second, well I dont know, but one thing is for sure, if you continue to take the lid off to look inside, these wont be your last infections. If you are compelled to have a look, ditch the lid and use cling wrap.

Myguess is you need to seriously reassess your sanitisation methods. There are plenty of good threads on here re sanitation. try a SEARCH!!!!

edit:Sp

Latest posts

Back