Is this infected?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeggie

Reaction score
So had a peek at my 2 week old bottled IPA's and notice a bit of a ring in the neck of the PET bottles.
Quick google tells me this is the "ring of scum" and big sign of infection :(

I tested one a week ago (8 days in the bottle) and didn't notice anything weird, was just under carbed and a bit young, lots of hops.
Thomas Coopers IPA with DME, dex and galaxy hops. Brand new pet bottles, rinsed and starsan'd.

Not easy to photo, tried with my phone with a light behind it.

Opinions?

Stick one in the fridge and taste it again. It's probably the only real way you are gonna find out if there is anything wrong with it. It doesn't look great but it may not be any issue.

I get this too, never infected, I think its just a mini krausen ring from secondary fermentation in the bottle

Carbing should not (and does not ordinarily) produce a krausen.

Hard to tell from the picture but it does not look like hop debris to me.

Not much can be done now in any case. Let them carb up properly and have a taste.

Had 30g hops in the boil and another 30g dry hopped at day 8. Hopefully just hop debris...

Inverting the bottles once or twice makes the ring go away on most (but not all) bottles

Aha! Problem solved then.

Oy vey.

2x coopers carb drops per 750ml PET.

Hopefully its just the hops. Well test 1 where the ring has disappeared another 1 where the ring is stuck and report back tonight.

I get this sometimes too, it's never made the beer taste bad though.

Tried a bottle last night and tasted great!

Guessing it must have been hop or hop oils or something.

Thanks for your help everyone

Noticed a similar thing in some of my bottles last night. In the double chocolate stout - looks like lots of sediment. I think I've read it can be the fats from the chocolate. Also weird funk on top of an Irish red ale. Will try them and report back.

double choc - bottled in June - tastes sensational! Irish red bottled a couple of weeks ago - tasted fine.

I'd bet it was one of the last to be bottled? Perhaps got a bit more sediment from the fermenter than most of the others?
I try to stack mine in the cupboard so the last 10 or so bottled are the last to be pulled out and drank - because they always cop a bit more sediment. FWIW i haven't seen this in my bottles, but i don't usually look that close either!

mattdean4130 said:
I'd bet it was one of the last to be bottled? Perhaps got a bit more sediment from the fermenter than most of the others?
I try to stack mine in the cupboard so the last 10 or so bottled are the last to be pulled out and drank - because they always cop a bit more sediment. FWIW i haven't seen this in my bottles, but i don't usually look that close either!
That is a good idea

Latest posts

Back