Is There A Decent Light Beer Around?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a decent light beer.

I am finding Aldis Storm Light reasonable (and at 20 bucks a slab its great). I have tried St Arnous, Prickly Moses, Moonlight and a few others.

Can you please offer some real suggestions please!

I have tried making home brew before with grains and stuff. I was fun but I dont have the energy for it. I really need a kegging system.

I have tried making home brew before with grains and stuff. I was fun but I dont have the energy for it. I really need a kegging system.

Buy a home brand lager kit as normal and and top up to 23 litres with water as usual WITHOUT adding any extra malt or dextrose etc and brew it as usual. Or is that too energetic too ;)
Cheers
Steve

I've tried the Aldi's Storm light and to be honest i was quite impressed for a cheap ass beer it actually had some color,flavour and aroma not bad at all cause if you have to drink light it might as well be tasty, Try Cascade or Boags light i 've found them approachable in the past.

JUST DON'T DRINK FOSTERS LIGHT ICE PLEASE !! Drinkers have suffered long enough.(end rant)

P.S I think i've had a Redback light too somewhere along the track worth a try

Try some English milds, light in alcohol but not so light on the wallet. I like Tetley's cans from Dan Murphy's.

The only 'reduced alcohol' beer I have had that is decent is rogers, though it is not a light beer, its a 'mid-strength' and not a beer you can get at the corner drive thru either, unfortunately not many good beers are.

As Rudy says lots of UK ales are lower in alc (<5%) though still not 'light'

I love how timothy taylor pale ale, says 'extra strong' on the label but its 4.4% :p brilliant beer though, one of the best

This one should be a cracker. The hyrometer sample tasted great (and thats as far as I can go in July) and at 2.6% its a light.

#68 English Bitter
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/07/2008
Batch Size: 29.00 L
Boil Size: 37.18 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg - Ale
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3200.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 71.11 %
500.00 gm Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 11.11 %
300.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.67 %
150.00 gm Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
150.00 gm Caramel Wheat Malt (90.6 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
150.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
50.00 gm Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 1.11 %
12.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.90 %] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
57.00 gm Williamette [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
55.00 gm Williamette (mash hopped) [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.60 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.036 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.036 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.59 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 2.60 %
Bitterness: 32.3 IBU Calories: 341 cal/l
Est Color: 23.0 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 4500.00 gm
Sparge Water: 21.89 L Grain Temperature: 12.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 12.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.80 L of water at 78.0 C 69.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 85.7 C 76.0 C

gage roads pils i thought was ok. and as mentioned, moonlight and rogers. other than that, brewing i your best bet.
good luck.

Cooper's Mild Ale isn't too bad. Roger's is pretty good.

I like my own dark mild (recipe in DB). Lots of flavour at about 3%. Must brew another very soon.

I like my own dark mild (recipe in DB). Lots of flavour at about 3%. Must brew another very soon.

Where the heck is it, I can't find it.

Thanks heaps.. Tried a moonlight tonight and was quite impressed, but its grand ridges QC that concerns me. I used to drink Yarra Valley Gold like a fish but the ood batch was very dodgy.

Coopers Mild is great.. Better than the Light Lager

SJW like the sound of your Ale... I just lack the passion, space and resources to create brews anymore.

Thanks heaps.. Tried a moonlight tonight and was quite impressed, but its grand ridges QC that concerns me.

Comes from being in an old butter factory. Always a struggle to knock off the inbuilt bugs endemic to the factory.

FWIW I'm a fan of Rogers for a lighter beer.

Didn't bother counting, but at a guess, +100 for the little creatures :p

A tasty one to try if ever in canberra is the wig & pen's mr natural, one of the best lights I've ever tried. I made a tasty one about a month ago that didn't last too long in the keg, see the NZ mild recipe here Came in at 1.036, finished at 1.014 with windsor dry yeast. 2.98% smelt amazing...

Latest posts

Back