Is the Mini Bar dead, or can Craft Beer revive it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

As you probably know I write this blog thing and if I think you lot might be interested in having a read or something that is relevant, I post it here.

I was having a lonely old beer at the Rooftop in Melbourne the other night on a work trip...my mini bar was non existent, so I had to brave the cold. I had my trusty laptop with me and none of the young girls at nearby tables were interested in talking to a 40 year old bloke with a grey beard, so I had some free time, and some subject matter that I was motivated to write about...I began typing.

If you are interested, have a click thru, if not, no dramas.

http://beerhealer.com/index.php/2016/05/15/craft-beer-in-mini-bars/

Cheers

Chris

Price. THE single biggest killer of mini bars. Regardless what's in that cramped little fridge, paying the thoroughly ridiculous, greed driven prices charged by Hotels and Motels for minibar stock doesn't sit well with anybody.

In my opinion, even the tastiest and most satisfying selection of craft beers would never revive the mini bar, because they come at their own price to start with, but they will then be subjected to the same mindnumbingly offensive price hikes as every other beverage, chocolate bar or packet of peanuts associated with the traditional mini bar.

If customer comfort and satisfaction mattered, there is no reason a Hotel or Motel couldn't charge less than standard prices, still make a profit, and send everyone home happy.

Buying at bottle shop prices, the Hotels can pick up average Joe's mainstream tasteless swill for $2-3 each, by the carton. Tack $1 each on and actually sell a few. Sure, there's no 400% mark up on them, but who buys at that price anyway? At 30-50% profit, it's still a pretty good return by most investment standards.

In most cases, there's no difference in cost, as they are usually running the fridges anyway. The room maid had a few spare beers on their trolley and when they check the fridge, as they should be anyway, they replace the missing ones. Piece of piss.

In short and simple terms, greed killed the mini bar; only fairness and value for money could revive it. And even then, it would take a miracle.

The mini bar is no longer the "cool, special" gimmick it once was. They're nothing more than a small fridge, which now holds a jug of horrible water and a few tiny long life milk containers.

There is no need for a mini bar to be "special", it just needs to be functional and fair.

Sorry for the war and peace.

Nice beer reviews by the way.

Cheers

Reminds me of a trip to Tassie a few years back. Usually I never order stuff from the minibar because like most people I refuse to pay $12 for a Cascade light. One exception was in the good old days when all reasonable expenses ie a few beers were covered on work account.

This time I was on my own coin and staying at place called Fountainside in Hobart. Was an old place that was being renovated. Had cheap rates but room was plush, big screen telly a minibar with great prices!!!!!

This was pre craft beer revolution but had full strength Cascade at $4 a bottle and a 700ml bottle of Tamar Ridge red for $18. Snacks were even good value.

Spent about $35 on the minibar between wife and I and felt we got good value. Even if they only made $10 on top it was more than they would of got if the prices were higher

No affiliation and it was a few years back now (6yrsish)

Best mini bar I encountered was in a Hotel in Dusseldorf, the mini bar was free and restocked daily. They stocked altbier and a couple of pilsners.

waggastew said:
Reminds me of a trip to Tassie a few years back. Usually I never order stuff from the minibar because like most people I refuse to pay $12 for a Cascade light. One exception was in the good old days when all reasonable expenses ie a few beers were covered on work account.

This time I was on my own coin and staying at place called Fountainside in Hobart. Was an old place that was being renovated. Had cheap rates but room was plush, big screen telly a minibar with great prices!!!!!

This was pre craft beer revolution but had full strength Cascade at $4 a bottle and a 700ml bottle of Tamar Ridge red for $18. Snacks were even good value.

Spent about $35 on the minibar between wife and I and felt we got good value. Even if they only made $10 on top it was more than they would of got if the prices were higher

No affiliation and it was a few years back now (6yrsish)
The Fountainside...OMG, one of the worst going around in those days!!!
SOunds like you got great value though!! Nice!!

crowmanz said:
Best mini bar I encountered was in a Hotel in Dusseldorf, the mini bar was free and restocked daily. They stocked altbier and a couple of pilsners.
Back in the day when I was with LIon, every mini bar was the best because it was always covered on the work credit card.

My workmates and I used enjoy emptying the mini bar for research purposes...no questions asked.

Those times are over though!!

Mini bars sell an absolute shit ton of booze. Who do you think stays in hotels more than anyone else? Business travellers with corporate credit cards.

I've only drunk booze from a minibar once.
Got put up at sofitel for my brother's wedding, not a penny to my name.
Drank all the spirits, replaced the brown with cold tea, the white with water.

Not sure if I'm proud of the big **** you or slightly ashamed.

Think I lean towards proud.
**** you ripoff minibar. I sometimes chuckle about the corporate traveller trying to convince reception that their scotch tasted like weak, cold tea.

Ciderman said:
Mini bars sell an absolute shit ton of booze. Who do you think stays in hotels more than anyone else? Business travellers with corporate credit cards.
Who drink boring beer?

manticle said:
**** you ripoff minibar. I sometimes chuckle about the corporate traveller trying to convince reception that their scotch tasted like weak, cold tea.
It's actually really common. You'd probably be better off drinking said spirit then re filling it yourself. Complain to management and you might get more than a replacement.

chrisluki said:
Who drink boring beer?
We represent a growing, but very small minority group of craft beer aficionados. Sadly the other 99% of the population will drink anything. That number gets even higher when it's free, ie corporate travel.

manticle said:

hehehe, hilarious!

Ciderman said:
We represent a growing, but very small minority group of craft beer aficionados. Sadly the other 99% of the population will drink anything. That number gets even higher when it's free, ie corporate travel.
Yeah, absolutely. I used to work for Lion and understand the enormity of brands like Corona, XXXX, Carlton, VB etc...we are just a drop in the ocean as craft beer lovers! The numbers are even worse when you strip out craft breweries now owned my majors...scary!

wynnum1 said:
Most consumers know that if they drink anything from the minibar in their hotel room, they'll be charged. But did you know some hotels now automatically charge your bill if you as much as touch the snack tray — even if you don't eat anything?

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/pi/hotels-use-sensors-to-bill-for-uneaten-snacks-hit-guests-with-unexpected-charges-b99347028z1-274623181.html
Yeah this has happened to me, and I am sure it was actually in Australia somewhere?

We once checked out of a hotel after an overnight stay and were presented with a bill for > 300 euro in bar drinks (the hotel bar, not the mini bar).

Mrs Wibble is standing there at the desk with a baby on her hip. She just said in that quiet but gravelly tone (that would normally have me preparing to duck) ... "Maybe you could double-check that".

Latest posts

Back