Mid Strength Craft Beer - Can You Dig It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
We have & it's a cracker... Usually 3.0% the current batch crept up to 3.2%

https://bbrewing.myshopify.com/collections/dark-ales/products/bot723
Please refer back to *

;)

For extra points, I made no comment about ghe quality of 'session' beers, just the pricing is out of context to the brews themselves and that I'd *maybe try one one day..

Actually, I had blood sucking freaks last week and loved it... Didn't realise till I got ot home what percentage was on it..

Brought the below from Carwyn Cellars in Thornbury on the weekend as part of a mixed 6 pack (great place to try if your in Vic)

http://barrowboysbrewing.com.au/good-times-ale/

1 standard drink and actually pretty good

Think it worked out to be about $3 a bottle in my mixed 6pack and wine republic normally sells a full 6pack for about $20

Not sure on the cost of a slab however

Phoney said:
Is mid-strength a strictly Aus/NZ term? I havent seen it used anywhere else...

I always thought there was light, which is anything under 3.5%ABV and then heavy or standard was above. But then Bud Light and Coors light *shudder* are roughly 4% ABV...that would just be marketing I suppose. UK Milds are what, 3 - 3.5% and American Milds are I think the same but with US hops.
I think Mid Strength is an Aus term...but don't quote me.

tugger said:
I had a crack at releasing a mscb last year. It was a total failure as we saw.
I'm now in the process of securing branding for the next attempt.
I believe there is a gap in the mass market for a hoppy craft mid strength.
shoot me a message to brainstorm ideas if you want!

chrisluki said:
I think Mid Strength is an Aus term...but don't quote me.
Never heard the term mid strength until coming to Australia. A lot of English bitters are around the 3.5-4% mark and they were just called beer. It was only when European lagers in excess of 5% became popular that you'd really see much in the way of stronger beers apart from the occasional ESB or so on. I'm not sure if the UK has a similar licensing law that is based on ABV. I'm guessing it's not the same as the USA where beer is taxed on quantity not ABV.

Dave70 said:
Mid strength seems to knock out my vasopression hormone extremely early in the piece for some reason. Thus, I start pissing like a racehorse.
So I get all the annoyance of frequent urination coupled with a kind of sleepy dregged out feeling. Then I begin drinking them at twice the rate, somewhat negating the point of the low ABV exercise.
There are some nice ones around, but as noted by a previous caller, they ask about the same coin for it. I dont like paying for premium 98 and getting E85.

I really only buy it if its attractively packaged and new looking, and even then, only as a segue into the 4 - 5% happy zone.
Could not have said it better. Half the price maybe, with current price levels yeah nah.

So are you paying for ethanol content or quality of product?

Plenty of cheap, high octane beverages on the market.

Mid strength ales that are kick arse:

Golden Road Wolf Pup
Stone Go To IPA
Ballast Point Even Keel

All less than 4.5%

Aussie made Pirate Life Throwback is very good, possibly the best low abv craft beer in the market.

Pratty1 said:
Mid strength ales that are kick arse:

Golden Road Wolf Pup
Stone Go To IPA
Ballast Point Even Keel

All less than 4.5%

Aussie made Pirate Life Throwback is very good, possibly the best low abv craft beer in the market.
I havent tried the Wolf Pup? I do like GR's beers.
Enjoyed a few PL Throwbacks in the hot tub the other evening...they are great!

Yob said:
I 'might' * consider drinking more of them if the price point was reflective of the malt/hop bill that went into them.. everything gets reduced (maybe volume increase?) except for the price point.

nobody seems to have brought out a session RIS yet oddly enough... well except for me of course...

* = probably not
The big cost saving for breweries on mid-strength isn't even on the ingredients, it is on the excise break below the 3.5% mark. Retail price should be considerably lower than a standard strength at the same gross margin.

My next brew will be an ordinary bitter aiming for 3.6%.

Last few brews have been kicking my arse and I end up sleepwalking if I have more than 2 tallies.

Doesn't go down too well with the other half, which leads to less pleasant arse kicking.

Killer Brew said:
The big cost saving for breweries on mid-strength isn't even on the ingredients, it is on the excise break below the 3.5% mark. Retail price should be considerably lower than a standard strength at the same gross margin.
Agreed, good point, none of those seem to make it to the till though. Not that ots a problem or an issue for me, life begins at %6 or GTFO ;)

Dan's currently have Fortitude Pacer 2.8 for $15.90 a sixer as well as Throwback IPA 3.5 fot $19.90 a sixer until Sunday 18th!

LAGERFRENZY said:
Dan's currently have Fortitude Pacer 2.8 for $15.90 a sixer as well as Throwback IPA 3.5 fot $19.90 a sixer until Sunday 18th!
Dans is stocking pirate life now?

Yep - they were yet to get them on the shelves this arvo but they ducked out the back and got me the Throwbacks. Lady said that they also had the blue PL cans (full strength). Grabbed a sixer of the Fortitude Pacer and a sixer of Sculpin and that's my Christmas shopping done...

At a work Christmas party last night, they had a Goosberry Gose on tap, 3.2%

It was a cracker, very interesting beer. Nice body, lovely tartness, and a back tongue saltiness. Unfortunately I didnt pay enough attention to the brewery, cause I cant remember it (and I only had one).

Will have to drop in to check it out.

mongey said:
In theory like the idea.

For example I was going to grab a 6 pack of the new pirate life one over the weekend for a BBQ and it was only $1 less than their full strength IPA. Why would I ?
I grabbed a single of that throwback I think it was not bad

Pricey but all in the name of research :D

The lowest I have gone was 3.8% ordinary bitter
Marris Otter, Whitbread yeast, Challanger all the way mashed high
which worked for me

Coodgee said:
I can't even remember the last time i bought a 6 pack of beer from a shop.
Was tempted to buy the 6 bridge road B2 bomber's that were "out of date"

Only bought 3

Latest posts

Back