Is the cooler good enough to be a mash tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve said:
Cooler? We're not American......its a bloody esky FFS!

Edit....yes it will be perfectly fine as a mash tun.

But he is using it to keep things hot, so is a hotter?

NewtownClown said:
Esky is a brand name FFS! Like calling every vacuum cleaner a Hoover or every blender a Breville.
Esky is owned by Coleman - an American company.
A guy i went to school with used to call jaffles, brevilles. And he wasn't even joking

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

While an Esky/cooler may be rated as food grade I doubt any of you know whether its rated to hold hot liquids which will be consumed.

manticle said:
If you lose the lid to your Texta, you can put a piece of Glad Wrap around the end to keep it from drying out.
Yep, throw out the airlock.

hoppy2B said:
While an Esky/cooler may be rated as food grade I doubt any of you know whether its rated to hold hot liquids which will be consumed.
Same material as a cube - rated well above mash/mashout temps.

I did a similar test with my 45(?) L insulated-box-with-lid. Was fairly dismayed when 12L of 70deg water dropped to 63deg over the course of 60 mins.
The bloody lid was hot because the damn thing has cutouts for drink holders (ie not insulated).

Anyway, add grain and a blanket or two over the top and it only dropped 2 degrees over a 70 min mash.

Will probably drop some foil or polystyrene over the grains next time to see if I can go one better.

Mick

I actually use my chully bun as a mash tun now and again, lined with a sheet of voile while another brew is mashing / boiling in the urn.

It's a cheapy 38L Aldi and keeps a good temperature if it's properly pre heated - as mine is because I do full volume BIAB in it - then I float a rectangle of doubled over bubble wrap on the top of the mash.

Also be careful with the claimed volumes of coolers. When they say 40L they mean 40L including the headspace, as the headspace in a "domed" model is also legitimate volume (e.g. tall bottles poke up into it, whatever) - it's not 40L filled to the brim of the body of the Esky with liquid.

Latest posts

Back