Is It Too Late To Drop Some Aroma Hops Into A Fermenter After Pitching

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I think the title says it all .. I am a cuber .. OK .. I will cop flack for that but not the first time I have coped flack ... back in 99 in East Timor it was hairy but ... just kidding ... If I was to drop some Hops Flowers in to the fermenter 24 hrs after pitching years is it too late ???

Just asking ???

Matt

I don't see why it would be. I'm intending on putting some in tomorrow, and it's been 8 days since i pitched it.

Im a cuber too and I throw my hops in about 5 days after pitching once fermenting has died down somewhat.

Im an AHB schooled brewer and thats what I was told to do. Works for me.

I think the title says it all .. I am a cuber .. OK .. I will cop flack for that but not the first time I have coped flack ... back in 99 in East Timor it was hairy but ... just kidding ... If I was to drop some Hops Flowers in to the fermenter 24 hrs after pitching years is it too late ???

Just asking ???

Matt

just make sure you put them in a bag of some sort otherwise you'll have more fun than you did in timor leste when trying to keg/bottle

Dry hop or argon's late hop no chill method.

Dry hoppping toward the end (or after) fermentation, as suggested.

I find the hops settle with the yeast. I add the hops towards the end of fermentation, and don't bother with a bag.

I find the hops settle with the yeast. I add the hops towards the end of fermentation, and don't bother with a bag.

Do you dry hop with hop flowers ? They have a tendancy to block taps - hence the bag.

I think you get the picture - most are saying you're actually too early!
I tend to agree with them; I add dry hops after about 4 days, and depending on hops, yeast, etc you'll find you get awesome aroma. A completely different beer.

OK advice taken .. perhaps If I use my french press (read coffee plunger) with some Nelson Sauvin flowers and add that on day 2 or 3 ????

Cheers

Matt

OK advice taken .. perhaps If I use my french press (read coffee plunger) with some Nelson Sauvin flowers and add that on day 2 or 3 ????

If I have used Saaz as my main hop for Bittering and flavouring .. should I use Saaz for aroma or could I use my NS flowers ?? It is in a basic ale with 8kg of Marris otter , 1kg of DME ... 30lt batch with Sa- ale 04 yeast

Cheers

Matt

Depends on whether you want the aroma and flavour of NS or the aroma and flavour of saaz.

I have found saaz grassy as a dry hop but that's limited experience and I don't remember how old the hops were.

8kg and a kg of dme? 30lt :blink: what was the OG of this?

Not that it matters for the question youve asked, just curious... Das alota grain for a single.. B)

As per what most other people have suggested, you're definitely not too late for adding dry hops.

And as others have mentioned, if youre using flowers, definitely use a bag.

When it comes to dry hopping, I wait til primary has finished and chuck them in during CCing and leave for a week.

The dry hops take a little longer to work their magic at lower temps but I just use that method because it works for me. I normally CC most beers for a week so I chuck the dry hops in then and leave them there til kegging

Sponge

It's called dry hopping and it's awesome, do it. I don't recommend fresh pressing, dry hopping is way better.

I don't personally use bags with flowers. I find the flowers settle into the yeast cake and don't just float around. But other people have obviously had problems so follow their advice I guess.

If I have used Saaz as my main hop for Bittering and flavouring .. should I use Saaz for aroma or could I use my NS flowers ?? It is in a basic ale with 8kg of Marris otter , 1kg of DME ... 30lt batch with Sa- ale 04 yeast

Cheers

Matt

Need more info as to what your recipe and the stats of it are - gravities, IBU's etc...

Used NS before? If not, Nelson is a very "over the top" type hop. It's easy to overdo it. I use NS ALOT, so im definitely speaking from experience. It is very wine like (hence the name). Saaz is a very different animal. Personal preference here, but i wouldn't have necessarily combined them, BUT, this depends on the stats of your beer. If the bittering is at a balanced level and the NS is just for a little lift, it could possible go quite well, but if you have a decent whack of IBU's already from the saaz, i'd be a bit wary of adding to it. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best ones....

RE: dry hopping. Surprised no one's given a reason yet.....
Dry hopping should be done after the majority of fermentation has finished, as the process of fermentation will drive away aroma's that you are trying to keep in the beer by dry hopping - hence better done later than earlier.

oops, sorry. missed th "flowers" bit. Yep, would beg 'em for sure.

Latest posts

Back