Is It To Old

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben.robinson

Reaction score
G'day All, what is to old, i bought a couple of out of date extracts the other week and brewed them(ipa,malt shovel pa)which turn out very rich dark amber colour which i expected. My question is will the flavour of the extract be effected as well? So am i wasting my time.

Ab it over a year ago, my local brew store had some kits that were out of date; he said free if I buy a proper yeast for it. I tried making it with extra hops as they would have been so mellow by this stage. It wasn't really an enjoyable beer; we did drink it. From now onward for me fresh kits only; I won't even use old ones as a supplement malt base.

QldKev

Ab it over a year ago, my local brew store had some kits that were out of date; he said free if I buy a proper yeast for it. I tried making it with extra hops as they would have been so mellow by this stage. It wasn't really an enjoyable beer; we did drink it. From now onward for me fresh kits only; I won't even use old ones as a supplement malt base.

QldKev

It'll be a lottery. Hope you win. The kits darken with age but "flavour ?". The hop flavour or the maltiness ? Both should be slightly different - age shall weary them - but by how much ? You said you've already brewed them so you tell us about the "flavour". Better tell us what adjuncts did you add to the wort also.

Yeah never won lotto before this may be my chance, another couple of days i should have a result then.

FIRST BREW
  • MUNTONS IPA
1kg #15 westbrew blend(LME)

15G POR ,safale s04
  • SECOND BREW
  • MALT SHOVEL PA

1kg #15 Westbrew blend (LME)

500g cooper enhancer #1

safale so4

Ive had problems with brew done with old liquid malts, the beer got a kind of soapy taste to it, however old dry malts havn't given me that trouble.

Back