...is Fail!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
Tipping a bucket of hot water into your fermenter to rinse it out & leaving the tap open...

oooh. That'd be bad. I'll be paranoid of that happening from now on.

I used to do a boil and pour it straight into the fermenter... No chill now... as I only do extract brews...

I was inside, but managed to mop it up before my wife got home! :)

By the time she was home there where just a few damp spots on the tiles ... of course I got asked "What's that?!?" and I stressed it was just plain water... got away with it.

The rest of the brew went well - done in pretty good time too (just under an hour).

I did a Coopers English Bitter with 1.5kg of LDM (just like my last one which tasted great!),
and a Coopers Mex Cerveza with 500gm of LDM & 250gm of Coopers brewing sugar (Dex and Maltodextrin) to up the OG a tad.

They are both in the un-powered brewing fridge with a few frozen PET bottles to try and keep them at around 20c for the duration of the primary ferment.

(edit) OG for the Bitter is 1060, and for the Cerveza it is 1050.

• Brewing whilst inebriated, adding 300g of white sugar in the boil (part of the style for that particular beer)
  • Decide to just put in a third of the packet, how hard is that
  • Lose control of the packet and put half of it in, well not the end of the world
  • Suddenly realise it's actually a 2kg packet :unsure:

Actually turned out very drinkable but over 7% :icon_drunk: naughty boy.

I've poured wort in my fermenter at least twice I can think of and realising the tap is open by having wort on the floor..

Luckily on tiles both times, but still made me feel borderline retarded.
:lol:

Bjorn

I've poured wort in my fermenter at least twice I can think of and realising the tap is open by having wort on the floor..

Luckily on tiles both times, but still made me feel borderline retarded.
:lol:

Bjorn

Yeah, I've done that when racking to secondary a couple of times - its tragic losing perfectly good beer... <_< Now I double check tap before filling fermenters with wort/beer/anything.

My mate did this with his fermenter in the laundry sink and only realised when he came back to put the yeast in with the fermenter 1/4 empty... Epic fail

Kegging up a 19 litre keg from a fermenter filled to 23 litres when phone rings. It's a mate, so you dribble shit for a while. Walk back into the brew room where there is NEW carpet on the floor to find a full corny with about 2 litres of pale ale on the carpet= fail

This has happened twice...... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: yep, it's a retard face.

I've been lautering before and realised the kettle tap was open gah! lucky i noticed quickly tho! coulda been a lot worse, and ive read times that it has...

• Brewing whilst inebriated, adding 300g of white sugar in the boil (part of the style for that particular beer)
  • Decide to just put in a third of the packet, how hard is that
  • Lose control of the packet and put half of it in, well not the end of the world
  • Suddenly realise it's actually a 2kg packet :unsure:

Actually turned out very drinkable but over 7% :icon_drunk: naughty boy.

Ahh, this one cracked me up Bribie, spat beer over my keyboard.

That is something I would so do, being such a green brewer & all.

Well this thread certainly made me feel better about myself. In the 1st incarnation of my brewery (in the late 90's) I poured some goo from a can on my Mum's kitchen floor via my fermenter & an open tap. If i spill water/sanitiser/etc on my floor I don't care as much now that I don't live with my Mum the clean freak but I still always double/triple/quadruple check my tap before I put anything in a fermenter these days.

As John Palmer says in How to Brew "4 out of 5 spouses surveyed didn't like sticky floors".

Getting what you pay for.

I saw a nice little bar fridge sitting on the floor of a mates workshop a while ago.

'What are ya doin with that?'
'Nothin,ya can ave it if ya want'
'Does it work?'
'Yeah, works like a f****n rippa!'
'Tops!'

Plugged her in Monday night and stuck two kegs in to chill for gassing.
Crank the gas up Tuesday.
Discover Wednsday that things are a little to warm, turn down thermostat.
Install drip tray and funky tap on door Thursday.
Invite mate over on Friday arvo to show off my brewing prowess and slick new setup.
Discover fridge has become freezer and converted contents kegs into ice.
Many rude words and kicking ensue..

Sulk for a minute.
Get in car.
Drive to bottle o.

Fridge now used as storage for motorcycle spares..

Done the tap thing twice, learnt now. Broken 2-3 hydrometers. And about the same glass thermometers. Bloody expensive learning curve.

For my 50th AG I did a dunkelweizen.
Turned on the tap on the HLT, mixed the mash, and was a bit under temperature.
So, turn the HLT tap back to add some more water, and started to concentrate on the mixing and reading the thermometer.
Wondered all of a sudden why the mash was overflowing the mashtun.
Yup, didn't turn the HLT tap off after the additional water.

Dropped about 13 SG points against target. Boiled the crap out of it to try to concentrate it, but still ended up too low.
It's drinking OK but it's definitely nothing like a dunkelweizen should be. It's lacks the malt backbone and drinks more like my usual after golf beer of a "charlie" (2/3 light, 1/3 old).

I recently made a lager to use up the last of my kits before graduating to partial mashes. I did a 90 min boil, cooled it, added it to the fermenter and pitched the yeast. 30 mins later I was thinking something didn't seem right. Did I forget something? Turns out I forgot to add the damn kit! Luckily it wasn't too late to add it, but having only 1.5 kg LME in 23 l would have made an interesting beer.

That batch must have been cursed, because when I went to bottle it, there was only about 10 l left in my lagering cube. Turns out the cube had a really slow leak, so I ended up losing half of it over 5 weeks.

Latest posts

Back