Is coopers halal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
And interestingly, the IRA are responsible for more terrorist acts than all of the acts of terror made by muslims
Well maybe you should post your apples so we can compare them.

Just drank a cooper's green, was tasty with no hint of funding terrorism at all

Ducatiboy stu said:
Why do you have a hard time believing this.....an act of terror is an act of terror ......isnt it.....
OK. Not sure what you're actually saying here, but I'll elaborate.

Post 9/11, Islamic terrorism has far and away been the most prolific in terms of attack frequency and deaths.

The IRA do have the upper hand in both organisation and time (been around since the 1910's), so I do not doubt that the number of acts committed by them is high, I just have a hard time believing that it's greater than every act of Islamic terrorism as you stated.

I just did a quick search by perpetrator on the global terror database: From 1970-2013 the IRA committed 2673 acts. Over the same period (I just put in the big boys Al-Qa'ida, Boko Haram, ISIL, Taliban) there were 4231 acts attributed to these organisations.

Of course this doesn't go back far enough to take into account all of the IRAs actions, but it certainly doesn't cover all the bases when it comes to Islamic terror acts either.

KevinR said:
Done to increase their market?Certification costs money,this cost is passed on to the end user,us.If not passed on as a higher product cost then we may suspect that the quality of the product has been comprised.
I for one are not prepared to pay extra or except a lower quality product because the manufacturer wishes to pander to some minority group.
No more Coopers products for me.
I honestly can't believe people think that having someone check their malt extract process for evidence of bacon once a year would add any real cost to the production of beer. Malt extract is inherently halal, and it means that Coopers can sell their malt to anyone, without having to check whether the product would end up in something designated as halal. It's like a big tick saying "yes, you can on-sell this product to anyone!" This means more profit for coopers, which means cheaper beer for us. If you c*nts hate muslims so much, why don't you want Coopers to take their money? Is it dirty?

KevinR said:
Done to increase their market?Certification costs money,this cost is passed on to the end user,us.If not passed on as a higher product cost then we may suspect that the quality of the product has been comprised.
I for one are not prepared to pay extra or except a lower quality product because the manufacturer wishes to pander to some minority group.
No more Coopers products for me.
1) Have you or anyone else here actually checked what these charges/costs are?
FWIW, i just checked the official Halal site for the Malaysian government. The charges for a large slaughterhouse for 2 years of certification is MYR$700. That's roughly AUD$200, or $100 per year. Now i'd assume there's a more expensive charge here in the Land of Freedom, however, i'd guess it's still not that much ..... ... ... so i just checked the Halal Australia site: yep, more expensive ... $110 per year.
Wow, that's gotta add, what, $0.00001 per kg of beef?
It seems to be similar costs for most types of businesses.
The sort of charge involved here would mean you'd need to regularly buy products for a lifetime before you'd contribute $1 to the any nefarious group.

I for one are not prepared to pay extra ... because the manufacturer wishes to pander to some minority group.

2) Does this mean you never buy anything from a publicly listed company (e.g.: Westfarmers, Myers, utility companies, etc). You're definitely paying more in Australia for products from those companies which are (successfully) pursuing higher profits for their shareholders (= a minority group). It's an obtuse comparison, i'll grant you, but the same logic applies.

technobabble66 said:
FWIW, i just checked the official Halal site for the Malaysian government. The charges for a large slaughterhouse for 2 years of certification is MYR$700. That's roughly AUD$200, or $100 per year. Now i'd assume there's a more expensive charge here in the Land of Freedom, however, i'd guess it's still not that much ..... ... ... so i just checked the Halal Australia site: yep, more expensive ... $110 per year.
Wow, that's gotta add, what, $0.00001 per kg of beef?
It seems to be similar costs for most types of businesses.
The sort of charge involved here would mean you'd need to regularly buy products for a lifetime before you'd contribute $1 to the any nefarious group.

I for one are not prepared to pay extra ... because the manufacturer wishes to pander to some minority group.

2) Does this mean you never buy anything from a publicly listed company (e.g.: Westfarmers, Myers, utility companies, etc). You're definitely paying more in Australia for products from those companies which are (successfully) pursuing higher profits for their shareholders (= a minority group). It's an obtuse comparison, i'll grant you, but the same logic applies.
Ease up there Techno...In Australia, from what I have read on the internet, and pages on Facebook, Halal certification cost about $3,154 per item produced on average.

This is the REAL reason Australian businesses are going broke. Cant believe you guys have let it slide for so long and not spoken up about it.

On a slightly related tangent, I recently got a new dishwasher for mum. Now, I know I'm dreadfully ignorant on most or all religions in terms of their beliefs, but it struck me as a little unusual that the instructions advise that in order to satisfy Kosher requirements for the dishwasher installation, the drains need to be separated, and they suggest you contact your local rabbi. Fortunately for mum it wasn't a problem.

Dishwasher.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ease up there Techno...In Australia, from what I have read on the internet, and pages on Facebook, Halal certification cost about $3,154 per item produced on average.

This is the REAL reason Australian businesses are going broke. Cant believe you guys have let it slide for so long and not spoken up about it.
Sorry, i stand corrected.
Gee, no wonder Vegemite costs so much!*
Maybe the ATO should just become a Halal Certifying Organisation - they'd make heaps more munny.

Funnily enough, i first discovered the Malaysian Halal site via a link on the Infidels4Islam webpage QldKev posted a few pages ago. They (I4I) alleged some ridiculous amount of money the Halal Certification process raises globally (like a few trillion $'s, i think?), citing that Malaysian website as evidence of the claim. The ignorant arseholes didn't even check their own linked evidence. All the Malaysian site basically indicated was how low the charge was, and hence how highly inaccurate the I4I claim would likely be.
However, it's probably not surprising given the I4I webpage spends more space trying to explain how big $1 trillion is and then illustrate it with mounds of cash in relative size. I was literally gobsmacked that they actually felt like they needed to do that - how stupid are they assuming their own audience is?!?

* and dishwashers. Thanks antiphile!

wereprawn said:
This bloke, for one, by his own admission. Mohamed El-Mouelhy,
I can't find any evidence that this is true, On the contrary, he's taking the anti-halal crackpots to court for defamation.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/13/rows-over-halal-and-terrorism-linkage

"As far as the company is concerned, it has not lost any clients. The clients continue to need halal certifications because, otherwise, they can't export. And me personally, my integrity is being questioned, and I don't like that. I'm an honest man."

technobabble66 said:
I did. Way back on page 2 of this thread I posted this link (scroll down to "Schedule of Fees & Charges") http://muslimsaustralia.com.au/halal-accreditation-3/ from a major certification body. It has the most comprehensive break down of fees I've seen.

My own calculation suggests costs start at $160 plus travel/accommodation costs and go up to $350 + travel/accommodation costs. And the travel/accommodation costs are as per recommended by the ATO.

In the same post I quoted Australian Food & Grocery Council suggesting the cost of certification is negligible in terms of manufacturing cost base.

That should really have knocked the whole "I don't want to pay for it" argument on the head, but actual evidence is unlikely to change the minds of the anti-halal folk.

kaiserben said:
I can't find any evidence that this is true, On the contrary, he's taking the anti-halal crackpots to court for defamation.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/13/rows-over-halal-and-terrorism-linkage
Now this is Today Tonight. Not a reliable source of info. But he clearly states that halal has made him a millionaire at around the 2 min mark.Take from this what you will.

Now i will happily admit my views on halal were skewed toward the non-halal brigade. Reading others views on the subject has made me question my beliefs and delve a bit deeper into the subject. The debate on this thread has done what any civilized argument ( many have been civil, some decidedly not) should. Any reasonable person would rather be right, than continue down a path simply because they cannot admit to being wrong. Having said that, my views haven't completely changed but it is entirely possible they may after considering both arguments more thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? Eight pages? Bloody zealots.

Camo6 said:
And I can't remember now how it started. Didn't someone say they liked fluffy white bunny rabbits? Before you know we are here.

Has anybody asked God if he will be upset if we eat Halal food? Some gods can be a little touchy and he no longer responds to me since I started cursing at him.

Camo6 said:
Yes, but look at it this way. Aside from a the odd barb and heated exchange, the conversation continues without members resorting death threats, CAPS LOCK or moderation by moderators.
Personally I find that pretty impressive. A real yin and yang of seriousness and irreverence.

Eagleburger said:
Has anybody asked God if he will be upset if we eat Halal food? Some gods can be a little touchy and he no longer responds to me since I started cursing at him.
God (the true god) prefers us to play zombies by pretending to eat his flesh and drink his blood publicly on a weekly basis.
Behavior I suggest that would otherwise be grounds for serious psychiatric assessment by any reasonable measure.

Dave70 said:
God (the true god) prefers us to play zombies by pretending to eat his flesh and drink his blood publicly on a weekly basis.
Behavior I suggest that would otherwise be grounds for serious psychiatric assessment by any reasonable measure.
Ahh. But those of us brought up in the True Church abhor such Papal nonsense, rejecting transubstantiation as repugnant to scripture (whatever that means)

Latest posts

Back