Is brewmate gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no new announcements from Brewer's Friend the last one was from Dec 2014 when they merged with BrewPrint, it's strange that the Poms knew about it 10 days ago.
Domain name not out of date but the owner Rob Hart is associated with 28 other domains so could it be the same owner?

I've switched to Brewers Friend since I got a tablet and can now use it in the office and out in the brewery. Cloud based so it's available on all my devices.
Theres a BF forum with an Austin as a contributor. :lol:

It opens all the BrewMate beer xml recipes nicely.

And you can add any Australian ingredients you like.. just do up a recipe adding "custom ingredients" as you go and they get saved to your ingredients list. Pays to spend an hour going through your BB, JW, etc malts and Aussie Hops (although most are now listed of course such as Galaxy). I just use the values on Ross's excellent lists in the CraftBrewer shop.

I've only just played with it.. It was $US 10 for the first year, well worth it for all the features.

I bought BeerSmith a couple of years ago but haven't used it in yonks, too hard to set up and for my purposes far too complex, I just need a simple recipe builder and record keeper to get me pointed in the right direction for a style, then like to get a bit creative on brewday.

Pity BrewMate didn't get updated over the last few years, but with Rob rarely if ever on the forum nowadays I guess he's moved onto pastures new, being obviously a creative and inventive guy.

I normally use BeerSmith2 for my recipe design and record keeping, although I also have BrewMate installed.

Just did a test recipe design on BrewMate, and it worked fine for me. Have never run an update since I installed it ages ago, unless that happens automatically.

So you have to subscribe annually to the new version? I paid $20 for Beersmith and maybe $8 for the phone app and it does everything I want plus more without any renewal fees. Geez I hate the way every bit of software nowadays tries to lock you in to a long term commitment.

Vast numbers of programs and apps nowadays are free but plague you with clickbait and ads, I don't mind paying ten bucks or whatever for something really useful. For example I pay thirty bucks a year for virus and malware protectors and never get any problems. Brewers Friend is a product and somebody has to get paid for it in the long run to keep it viable. Maybe if a few more people had sent Rob $20 (as I did, not skiting, just saying) then the program might have been expanded and updated a bit more frequently.

I still think they could both come under the same domain holder, Brewers Friend, Brewmate, pretty close.
If its worthwhile it is as Bribie says worth paying for and it is worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Brewmate so for its simplicity and ease of use and if I hadn't got my head around Beersmith I'd still be using it. It also sounds like it's made a few improvements which I'll have to check out. It's just I'd rather pay a one off fee than a yearly subscription for a beer recipe designer. Although it's a pretty trivial sum probably what irks me the most is that I'm not paying the developer for his hard work and support ( as I did for Brad Smith) but more likely that I'm paying someone who bought the rights to the software in an effort to capitalise off the strong network of existing users. But, meh, I guess it's just business on the interwebs.

I'm amazed and offended that you think we could take a trivial event and go all mass hysteria on it... We're being repressed!

Also, cool. Can we get a linux version....? BrewMate is the only reason I fire up windows these days.

Im on Brewers Friend, and quite like it. The interface for Beersmith just annoyed me too much.

As for subs, its a bit annoying but trivial in the long scheme.

Nah the grain calcs are out of whack. Can be fixed manually but F-that. Ive gone to beersmith!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Nah the grain calcs are out of whack. Can be fixed manually but F-that. Ive gone to beersmith!
The whole things gone to fcuking cock..

Apparently 100g of Warrior for 60min yields a IUB of of 19.1 in a 23L batch. What a pity. Was a great little program.

Downloaded the 21 trial version of beersmith. I assume there must be some way to set the default modes to metric rather than Victorian imperial?

I'm sticking with the old version of Brewmate. It works. Got the install file saved so no dramas here!

Liam_snorkel said:
I'm sticking with the old version of Brewmate. It works. Got the install file saved so no dramas here!
Yeah. I've still got the old versions on my home computers. But thats no good to me at work..

Latest posts

Back